Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL National Centennial Convention VS Dayton  (Read 34270 times)
KE4IED

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:04 AM »

I'm a "new" old ham (got technician no-code about 20 years ago, but only used an HT on 2 meters) that recently upgrade to general and bought an HF rig. I'm thinking of attending the National Convention because I think I can benefit from the training tracks, and it is a relativly close drive for me.

I'm undecided between "Contest Univesity" and "DX University". Has anyone here taken one of these programs before?
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »

Ed:

Nothing, absolutely nothing, will prepare for the SHOCK of DX'ing or contesting.

I started out in SWL'ing, monitoring the ham bands and got my no-code Tech ticket 22 years ago.  Through some well-placed connections I was permitted to be a "guest op" at HV3SJ while in Rome.

After being "briefed" by the control op, I put on the phones, keyed the mic and started calling "CQ Germany.  CQ Germany.  HV3SJ calling CQ Germany".

NOTHING prepared me for what followed.  The bedlam that followed was worst than hollering "Free booze" on frat house row!  After a couple of QSO's I had the smarts to turn-over the station to the control op.

You may learn the THEORY of DX'ing or contesting; NOTHING BUT EXPERIENCE WILL PREPARE FOR THE PRACTICE.

Jerry
N9LCD

Roll Eyes

KE4IED

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »

ha ha. I agree. I'm having trouble just participating in the Centinnial QSO party, and that's not even a "contest".  Cheesy

The contest university track seems like fun so I signed up for that. I realize I'm going to need a lot of experinece before I get any good at this though.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:52 PM »

Ed:

Maybe they'll have something like a "contest simulator".  You sit a the mic or key with phones on and try a working the instructor, over a closed circuit, through simulated noise, interference and fading.

Something like practice QSO's under simulated operating conditions would be great.  Heck, I'd sign-up for something like that if I ever get a HF station set-up at home.

Jerry
N9LCD
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »

At HamCation you see the committee members -- even the chairman and his wife -- every minute on the floor talking to the exhibitors and making adjustments if/as needed. So people like the ARRL, equipment manufacturers, retail companies, even individual hams can voice things they become aware of and see action. That is just not the case at Dayton.

Yeah, that's true...DARA's chickens will come home to roost.  I think given the deplorable facility that's HARA Arena, most people are amazed that they've kept this alive for so long.  Raw sewage spewing forth is no small matter.  A person can die from that, depending on the nature of the exposure.  I just can't see why in this day that Hara/DARA is still willing to expose themselves to that potential liability....and it could go beyond just a civil matter.  Like you mentioned, the slippery wet and nasty bathroom floors are a big hazard every single year. 

Ah well, at least it will never change.

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »

It would take a H**l of a lot to go beyond a civil matter.  You'd probably need something like a fire in the Hara with heavy casualties.  And considering the attention that fest organizers give to matters like fire/life safety, it's possible.

The more likely situation would be a class action negligence suit against DARA.  If DARA doesn't have enough insurance, the courts CAN find DARA's directors and officers personally liable UNLESS they can prove that they were UNAWARE of the unsafe conditions.  Hi!  Hi!

N9LCD

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:52 AM »

Online ticket sales are up and running for the Centennial Convention, and I purchased mine on Friday.  The process was very smooth. The two day ticket (Friday/Saturday) price is twenty-five dollars.  There are a large number of forums being offered during those days along with the exhibits and vendors.  You are also given the opportunity to sign up for a free bus trip to League HQ which is about 15 minutes south of Hartford.  There is also a three day ticket which include a number of events on Thursday including Contest University and meetings.  I gladly paid the additional five buck more than a Hamvention ticket to enjoy the modern, climate controlled facilities of the CT Convention Center.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:28:39 PM »

....I too have always had good conversations with ARRL officials. That is why I am a member and a voter in elections for officials. Those 2 things allow me as a member to give officials my pleasure and/or displeasure of what the officials say and do. Not just a magazine as you told me in another thread.
  Perhaps one reason for the publisher-first reputation can be found in some exempliary actions.  The Digital Baud Rate Petition, RM-11708.  And, the formerly withdrawn Regulation by Bandwidth Petition.

In neither case did ARRL ask for our input BEFORE they filed their Petitions.  Oh, sure.  Now, they ask.  After the fact.  Will they withdraw or change it based on member input after the fact?  Not likely.  When will they learn that kind of disingenuous behavior makes for very bad press.

I'm a member, and I remain so to try to change it from an organization that has collectively just about 20% of licensed amateurs as members into one that a majority of us want to be affiliated with that will do things that we want..
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

...  I gladly paid the additional five buck more than a Hamvention ticket to enjoy the modern, climate controlled facilities of the CT Convention Center.
Come south of the Mason-Dixon line and take in the Huntsville Hamfest for only $8.  It's held indoors at the beautiful Von Braun Center in downtown Huntsville.  Lots of talks and seminars and a very good flea market.  All indoors in August.  The Young Ham of the Year award presentation is a highlight.

Huntsville is home to the NASA Marshal Spaceflight Center and lots of things to see and do at the Space and Rocket Center.  Plus, for those who don't want to carry around a wad of bills in their pocket, there's an indoor ATM right in the Von Braun venue.
K2PH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »

Every year I look at going to Dayton. After I figure in the transportation, lodging and meal costs, I just go up online and order that new piece of gear I had been looking at all year. It's cheaper and less stressful. 

This year I've decided to go to the Convention. First, it's close by. I made reservations early, staying right at the site. Sounds like a nice place, Marriott has never let me down before. Probably no porta-potties. At my age I'm not going to be going to the 150th year celebration anyway. Will be nice to meet all of the manufacturers in a civilized comfortable setting.

K2PH
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »

I've made my decision.  After much admitted kvetching over the dilapidated venue that ironically holds the crown jewel of amateur radio “hamfests”, I’m putting my money  (quite literally) where my mouth is and I’ve decided to attend the ARRL Centennial Convention ONLY this year....

Pardon, but I think you'll find it rather hard to attend a Centennial Convention the years after the actual centennial!   Cheesy
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »

"As opposed to attending both this year" was what I was attempting to convey.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »

Sorry I misunderstood you!  73!
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2014, 05:46:47 AM »

It would take a H**l of a lot to go beyond a civil matter.  You'd probably need something like a fire in the Hara with heavy casualties.  And considering the attention that fest organizers give to matters like fire/life safety, it's possible.

The more likely situation would be a class action negligence suit against DARA.  If DARA doesn't have enough insurance, the courts CAN find DARA's directors and officers personally liable UNLESS they can prove that they were UNAWARE of the unsafe conditions.  Hi!  Hi!

N9LCD

That's true....."knowledge of....."
I don't know that I'd be willing to stick my neck out for that dump.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2014, 09:31:52 AM »

Here's what you'll expect to see in the way of a venue.  This is a shot from a wellness convention held there. Uhhhh.....is that carpet??

This shot shows 15 volleyball courts under one roof.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:48:44 AM by K3GM » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: