Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you like (or hate) your call sign?  (Read 48182 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2014, 08:07:29 AM »

I always loved the suffix of my call sign. Which is why I kept the 2x3 version for 29 years and didn't want to risk changing it to something I might not like. Great suffix for CW which is why when I saw it was available in a shorter form that was never issued, I jumped on the alteration through the vanity call program. Now I went from luke warm liking my call sign to loving it! (luke warm like, because 2x3s are just too damn long for dxing and cw operation)....So, do tell, other than your letters being your name initials (which is an obvious reason), why do you love (or hate) your current or former call sign(s)?.....

V
K3NRX

KC2NEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »

I had to grab the vanity call when I saw it as KC is my fiance's nickname and Neo is my son's name. 

Sean
KC2NEO
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:17 PM »

I love my call. It's a vanity call that I've had for nearly 18 years. But often, while operating CW in contests or in DX pile-ups, stations mistakenly copy me as N4KG. That's Tom in Alabama. Only a single dit difference between our calls. Even a friend of mine who was on a DXpedition came back to N4KG instead of N4KZ. I really teased him about that when he returned home.

Here's something odd. The original N4KZ was a fellow named Dwight who operated from Florida. He's been a silent key for a long time - perhaps from the early 1980s - but was apparently quite active on the air in his day. Thirty years later, I still occasionally run into guys on the air who say something like, "Dwight, good to run into you. It's been a long time since our last QSO. Where have you been for all these years?"

Then I have to break the news that Dwight is a SK and I've had his call for nearly 18 years. At first, I ran into that situation quite often but as the years have gone by, they are less frequent. But I did work a fellow in Sweden recently who called me Dwight.

Before getting N4KZ in 1996, my call was WE4K. When it was first issued to me in 1982, I was excited to have an E in the call. (Sequential call, I didn't pick it out.) Short and sweet on CW, you know. But as the years went by, I learned that the letter E can be difficult to hear among the QRM, QRN and QSB. Plus, I was in my QRP phase then and often my signal was often weak to begin with. Then I got tired of CW QRP and started operating SSB with a amp. Signals were stronger and now people easily heard the E in my call but it introduced a while new scenario. Now, at least once a week, for 14 years I would hear something like this from someone I was working.

"Hey, I was just writing your call down on my pad of paper and I realized that if I gave the 4 just one extra little leg, it turned it into an A and suddenly your call sign spelled WEAK. Did anyone ever tell you that before? That you're WEAK."

"Yep, at least once a week. For 14 years."

"Oh, OK."

And now you know why I ditched WE4K for a vanity call as soon as I could! LOL.

73, Dave, N4KZ
KJ7WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:01:23 AM »

Great story, Dave!

I love my call sign. Issued sequentially, when I obtained my Advanced license class in 1996, I've used the moniker "Water Closet" as long as I've held the call. There is just one snag - it's a mighty long send via CW.

While I could have had my pick when the FCC announced vanity call signs, those days are long gone. Eventually I'll get something a bit shorter. Can't say I'm in any big rush.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:47:11 AM »

My call (a vanity) reflects my rank when I retired from the US Navy in 1985... 
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »

I hate my call sign.  It sucks on phone (tongue twister) and also on CW.   For some reason the FCC, fate, or whatever, has always given me these kind of calls.  My first call as a Novice back in the early 70's was WN4BLV.  It was two years and non-renewable.  Adhering to common "wisdom" of the day, I let it expire rather than going after my Technician license, when I only got to 10WPM at the end of the Novice license's
life.  In 1996, I hit the ground as a Tech Plus and was assigned KF4HMK, a tongue twister which was not so great on CW, too.  When I upgraded to Advanced in 99, I tried my luck again and was bestowed with KV4BL.  When I moved up to Extra a couple of years ago, I decided to just leave well enough alone.  At least I have a 2X2.  Given my history with call signs, I figured it might get much worse.  

If they did vanity calls as they should, charging for the extra trouble to the FCC when first assigned, I might consider it, but the silliness of charging extra each renewal thereafter might one day bite me if they decide that people want to keep them badly enough to pay some ridiculous renewal fee every ten years.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:26:02 PM by KV4BL » Logged
N4UFO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:46:41 PM »

N4UFO?!!      'nuff said...   Grin
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 07:05:39 AM »

When I upgraded to Extra in 2000, I realized that the 1x2s were going to become scarce. I had been off the air for about 20 years, so there was no real attachment to my original 2x3 (WA2FKS) and giving it up for a 1x2 was easy. Not long thereafter, there was a major issue with the FCC vanity process right at the time W4HF was being issued. (ULS did not cancel W4HF on the day it was supposed to cancel, and 40-some vanity apps were at risk of having been submitted too early if FCC didn't retroactively perform the cancellation.) Within the next week or so I discovered that W3HF was available, and snatched it up before anyone else realized it.

And once that happened, I had no choice but to get back on the air and operate the HF bands!

So to answer the specific question:

- It's a four-character call,  two characters shorter than my original.
- It's a W-prefix 1x2, which in my opinion is a "classic" call. And I consider myself a traditionalist.
- I personally didn't have a problem with it being a re-issue any more than I need to be the first owner of a house, car, or radio. FCC and its predecessors have been reissuing calls from the beginning--I can document re-issues in the 1920s. The previous holder of W3HF held it for at least 67 years until his death in 1997--I would love to be that lucky.
- The suffix has a "classic" feel to it also. (I realize that's a personal preference/opinion. To each his own.)
- It matches my current operating habits. I don't frequent repeaters at all, and better than 98% of my 16k+ QSOs since receving this call have been on 30 MHz and lower.

And as for the concern about vanity fees, I figure that the current cost is negligible--less than the postage alone for sending out two domestic QSL cards with SASEs per year. Even if they were to increase it to $25 per year, that would still be far less than 10% of what I spend on amateur radio, and well worth it. But raising the vanity fee significantly would require either Congressional action (to change the mandated process, whereby vanity fees are calculated to cover the operating cost of the vanity program) or a significant drop in vanity issuances (to drastically reduce the denominator in the cost-recovery equation), and I don't see either of those possibiliites as likely.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:22:07 AM by W3HF » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 02:11:40 PM »

I like it, easy to send with a keyer...
W0GXA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »

My elmer was WB0GXA.  He was a CW only guy, like me.  I always liked the sound of GXA and it's not often messed up in a pileup/contest.

Bob
W0GXA
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 06:21:50 AM »

I hate my call sign.  It sucks on phone (tongue twister) and also on CW.   For some reason the FCC, fate, or whatever, has always given me these kind of calls.  My first call as a Novice back in the early 70's was WN4BLV.  It was two years and non-renewable.  Adhering to common "wisdom" of the day, I let it expire rather than going after my Technician license, when I only got to 10WPM at the end of the Novice license's
life.  In 1996, I hit the ground as a Tech Plus and was assigned KF4HMK, a tongue twister which was not so great on CW, too.  When I upgraded to Advanced in 99, I tried my luck again and was bestowed with KV4BL.  When I moved up to Extra a couple of years ago, I decided to just leave well enough alone.  At least I have a 2X2.  Given my history with call signs, I figured it might get much worse.  

If they did vanity calls as they should, charging for the extra trouble to the FCC when first assigned, I might consider it, but the silliness of charging extra each renewal thereafter might one day bite me if they decide that people want to keep them badly enough to pay some ridiculous renewal fee every ten years.  

Dude...if I were you, I'd suck it up, pay the money every 10 years and get a vanity....Seriously, if the luck of the draw has be this abysmal and is making you hate and hate your letters more and more, I would just do it and get it over with....Life is too short....

V
K3NRX

N7KRT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

As-issued by the FCC...
I like it on CW, easy to pick out of the noise or a pileup.
Can't think of a reason to look for a vanity call.

Jeff
N7KRT
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »

Dude...if I were you, I'd suck it up, pay the money every 10 years and get a vanity....Seriously, if the luck of the draw has be this abysmal and is making you hate and hate your letters more and more, I would just do it and get it over with....Life is too short....

V
K3NRX

Ditto. As I posted above, the cost per year right now is less than four domestic postage stamps, or one round-trip for a DX QSL. And the likelihood of that increasing dramatically is miniscule (in my opinion), because it would require Congressional action.

As for your statement "If they did vanity calls as they should...", well that subject has been debated for years, and it's not going to win. By statute (meaning that same type of Congressional action), the vanity program has to pay for itself. So every vanity callsign issuance, either initial or renewal, has to pay.

And even if they were to increase the fee to some phenomenal rate, you could always switch back to a (free) sequential. And that wouldn't be for at least ten years, until your renewal. So you'd get ten years of satisfaction from a new vanity callsign.

I agree with Vince--just do it!

Steve
W3HF
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »

K = Live west of the Mississippi
5 = In the 5th call district
WLR = My initials....

... and best of all, I am the first holder of this call, at least as far back as the 1920s.   Grin

Will Rogers
K5WLR
K7EDL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 09:36:18 PM »

My assigned call KD7QDU was difficult for DX to understand so I went with my initials and am very happy.

Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: