Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you like (or hate) your call sign?  (Read 65528 times)
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 12:40:22 PM »

I don't foresee CW, or significant CW in my future.  Aside from wanting a vanity sign, any other reason to consider a vanity sign?  I realize folks have all kinds of reasons and I'm just curious.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »

A shorter call sign, for one reason.....  More understandable letters.... To have your initials in your call...... To have the call sign of an SK relative who was a ham, and carry on their memory.....  man, the list of reasons is endless....

V
K3NRX

KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 06:43:14 PM »

Thanks.  I was looking more at the functional side.  I can certainly understand wanting to use an elmer's retired call sign, etc.  My call sign actually has two of my children's initials and is pretty close to what i was thinking would be my vanity call.  Just debating if it's worth changing.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »

Thanks.  I was looking more at the functional side.  I can certainly understand wanting to use an elmer's retired call sign, etc.  My call sign actually has two of my children's initials and is pretty close to what i was thinking would be my vanity call.  Just debating if it's worth changing.

From a functionality standpoint, it really depends on the function....for me it's cw and dxing....I liked my KA3NRX call sign, but a 2x3 novice call sign is just too long for dxing, and after 29 years, I got fed up with it's length....the only reasons I kept it for that long were because I didn't want to change to something issued by the feds I might wind up hating, wanted to keep the NRX because of it's cw flow, and from the vanity standpoint, i didn't want to walk around with a dead guy's call sign (someone I didn't ever know, which I might add, I had my new streamlined version of the call verified as never being issued to any individual, and that back in late 40s, the K#NR_ blocks of letters were used for Naval Reserve Training Center ham stations)........What's your function?.....do you mind the length of your callsign???.....do you like the sequence of letter?......does it sound like mush to other operators when you use it???.......It's all in the eye of the beholder....or in this case...the call sign beholder!..... Roll Eyes Grin.....Gots to go to work now!....

V
K3NRX

KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 04:40:57 AM »

Makes sense.  I was looking at from some of those aspects and was just curious what others thought might be a downside to my sign.  I believe it would be fairly easy to understand. My elmer made the commented that it's a mouthfull and CW would be "fun".  I don't know.  Verbally and even phoentically it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Kilo, Charlie, 3, Charlie, Lima, Quebec

I guess I should spend more time studying for my General and less time worrying about this!
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

My new call makes me laugh  Grin  N3HEE  It's also a very short CW call.  That's why I got it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 05:46:10 AM by KB3KJS » Logged
N9CQC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2014, 06:56:32 AM »

Mine (N9CQC) can be a little problematic when calling CQ on CW.  Other than that I'm happy with it.

Ed
WI4P

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »

It's short, low cw count, easy to send, easy to copy, sounds good phonetically ( whiskey India four papa ).
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »

I hate my call sign.  It sucks on phone (tongue twister) and also on CW.   For some reason the FCC, fate, or whatever, has always given me these kind of calls.  My first call as a Novice back in the early 70's was WN4BLV.  It was two years and non-renewable.  Adhering to common "wisdom" of the day, I let it expire rather than going after my Technician license, when I only got to 10WPM at the end of the Novice license's
life.  In 1996, I hit the ground as a Tech Plus and was assigned KF4HMK, a tongue twister which was not so great on CW, too.  When I upgraded to Advanced in 99, I tried my luck again and was bestowed with KV4BL.  When I moved up to Extra a couple of years ago, I decided to just leave well enough alone.  At least I have a 2X2.  Given my history with call signs, I figured it might get much worse.  

If they did vanity calls as they should, charging for the extra trouble to the FCC when first assigned, I might consider it, but the silliness of charging extra each renewal thereafter might one day bite me if they decide that people want to keep them badly enough to pay some ridiculous renewal fee every ten years.  

Yeah, you could always request a new sequential call.  But, down here in 4 land the 'A' ground has run out.  Ran out on 12-08-2012, congrats to AK4ZZ.  So you'd get a group 'B' call...another KV4!  KV4XU was the most recent issue (4-30-2014).  It'll be something when all of the group 'B' calls are exhausted down here.  Group 'C' is also gone, and I bet group 'D' will go fast.  Hope the FCC has an idea in mind of what to do...
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »

It's short, low cw count, easy to send, easy to copy, sounds good phonetically ( whiskey India four papa ).

I like your call sign.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »

It'll be something when all of the group 'B' calls are exhausted down here.  Group 'C' is also gone, and I bet group 'D' will go fast.  Hope the FCC has an idea in mind of what to do...

It will be a while before the Group B calls are gone, even in the fourth district. Group B includes 2x2s starting with N and W, so we aren't even 1/3 of the way done.

Group C went quickly because FCC chose to only sequentially issue the N prefixes, even though K and W are technically included. That's because many of those were previously issued, and the current (as of ~1978) FCC policy is only to issue sequential calls that have never before been issued. That's also why the K, W, and N prefixes were skipped for sequential issue in Group A. But there's no such conflict with Group B, so they will be available for some time.

As for Group D, they're about halfway through the sequence (KA through KZ, not including KL, KP, or KH). Since we've been running this system for 35 years now, we probably have two more decades' worth before it breaks. And that's just with the K prefix--FCC could choose to issue N 2x3s, which would mean over 400,000 new calls available in the fourth district alone.
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »

It'll be something when all of the group 'B' calls are exhausted down here.  Group 'C' is also gone, and I bet group 'D' will go fast.  Hope the FCC has an idea in mind of what to do...

It will be a while before the Group B calls are gone, even in the fourth district. Group B includes 2x2s starting with N and W, so we aren't even 1/3 of the way done.

Group C went quickly because FCC chose to only sequentially issue the N prefixes, even though K and W are technically included. That's because many of those were previously issued, and the current (as of ~1978) FCC policy is only to issue sequential calls that have never before been issued. That's also why the K, W, and N prefixes were skipped for sequential issue in Group A. But there's no such conflict with Group B, so they will be available for some time.

As for Group D, they're about halfway through the sequence (KA through KZ, not including KL, KP, or KH). Since we've been running this system for 35 years now, we probably have two more decades' worth before it breaks. And that's just with the K prefix--FCC could choose to issue N 2x3s, which would mean over 400,000 new calls available in the fourth district alone.

Thanks for setting me straight.  I don't know why I didn't think about sequential calls from W and N.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »

One thing that really used up the group C calls was the change in the Technician license when they removed the CW requirement.  Group C calls were for General and Technician class license, with group D for Novices.  The FCC kept this format when the Technician license (without the code requirement) became the point of entry license for most hams. It would have made more sense to have new Technician class licenses receive a group D call since that license then resembled the Novice class more than it did the General class-but when has the US government ever done anything that made sense.

After the group D calls with the K prefix are used up the FCC will go to the W prefix 2 x 3 calls for sequentially issued calls.  Unless they start with the WE prefix they will be reissuing old calls, although there might not be too many WA, WB, and WD call hams still around at that time, since the last sequentially issued WD prefix was in 1978.

John AF5CC
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »

since 2001 i was tech KG4ORX untill 2007 went to genereal still KG4ORX up on 2009 change to N4MJG because of my name Marion Jackie Green N4MJG(Jackie) now you know why !

Jackie
N4MJG
KD4TVB

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 03:40:40 PM »

I like my call but it is a mouth full.
I have been thinking about putting in for a vanity call but not sure what call sign to try to get?
Does any have a suggestion?

Best 73,
Charles,
KD4TVB,
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: