Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do you like (or hate) your call sign?  (Read 65525 times)
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »

Short is good.  It seems to work well in pileups.  Sometimes I can sneak the whole call in during a quiet moment.  Also, when I operate mobile, adding the /M just brings it up to average length.  Originally issued in 1978.  I'm the 4th holder.  The previous 3 guys only kept it ten years each.  I hope to get at least 30 out of it  Grin

73 mike
N3HAM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »

Couldn't resist this thread. It's sequential and I was shocked and excited when I received it back in '89. I couldn't be THAT lucky? When I got on the air, some ops thought I was a special event station. Of course, when the Vanity program came along many thought I picked it. I'm not that vain but just enough to keep it though. A standard line for me in QSOs is  "I'm still working on Mega Millions and not so much PowerBall since it went to two bux".  Hey, a nice call sign and getting on the radio every day (cw), plus just plain being here, we have all won the lottery.
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

I am lucky and got an excellent call from the beginning. Wouldn't want any other call.
K6EK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 06:26:50 AM »

Aside from the fact that I like mine for various reasons, the best reason is - I didn't find out until I was the only successful applicant for it, but it previously belonged to a friend at work !

Ken
K6EK
WA4HBK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 06:34:58 PM »

I've had mine for 42 years, kind of got attached to it.
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:43 PM »

I love my call sign. I was incredibly lucky in the vanity call sign lottery and picked up a 1x2 with the initials of my last name -- O'Connor.

Erin go bragh and happy St. Patrick's Day!

73 de Tony K1O'C

NZ9C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »

I love my call. I held KB1ZVX for just under a year. While I was waiting for my extra upgrade to appear in the ULS, I decided to find a 1x2 call. Unfortunately, they are RARE in 9 country, so I found a 2x1 that I liked and filed for it the day my extra appeared.

Richard
formerly KB1ZVX
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »

I like my vanity call sign. It's very simple for SSB and CW. Since I received it I haven't had any problem with someone getting my call wrong. Everyone seems to get it the first time. It's a 1x3 which often makes people confused when I am in the Extra Only part of a band. But I leave it to them to look me up. I applied for it in 1999 when I realized that the CW requirements were going to be dropped. I knew there was going to be glut of vanity call signs when that happened. I had a bunch of 1x2s and 2x1s as alternate choices but I glad I got my first choice.

The only issue I have with it is, I keep on getting confirmation requests from ops that had a QSO with W7MEM. I guess that he/she gets some of mine too.

But an old favorite of mine was around 1980-1984. I was living in Germany and had a reciprocal license as DA2EU. It was easy to remember and use. Had lots of contacts all over Europe, Africa, and Asia. At the time you could get a Class A German license with only a Novice ticket. No so any more.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
N4SJW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »

My first call sign back in the 1970's was WA2HSI - do the code in your head and you'll know why I'm happy with N4SJW now Smiley
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »

My first call sign back in the 1970's was WA2HSI - do the code in your head and you'll know why I'm happy with N4SJW now Smiley

At least you weren't in 5 land!

John AF5CC
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »

My vanity is not the shortest possible, but its suffix is basically my first name, which is why I chose it.
Also, it is rolls off quite melodically in CW.

Arno

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
WQ9T

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »

I originally had the Novice call of KA9HTW up through Advanced class - kind of long, so I got the sequentially allocated WQ9T.  On code, that's 10 dah's and only 3 dit's, making it a little "heavy".  Also, the last T seems to be hard for a lot of stations to copy.  On phone - maybe it's my voice - but lot's of stations think I'm saying WQ5T.  I thought of changing it many times.  It used to be popular with the WPX'ers, though; lots of card requests before the days of LOTW & eQSL.

Best sequentially issued call though that I ever heard of was N9CUT.  That just happened to be issued to my barber at the time!
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »

My call is similar, though 3 dits shorter....   Grin
KC3CLQ

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 09:45:52 AM »

I recently passed Technician and am curious.  When I pass General, does the FCC issue a new call sign for me, or simply upgrade my current call sign?

EDIT: I had been searching out this answer and now believe the FCC will NOT change my call sign, unless I want them too.  In my short experience, I think I like this call sign.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:02:20 AM by KC3CLQ » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:03 PM »

I recently passed Technician and am curious.  When I pass General, does the FCC issue a new call sign for me, or simply upgrade my current call sign?

EDIT: I had been searching out this answer and now believe the FCC will NOT change my call sign, unless I want them too.  In my short experience, I think I like this call sign.

That is correct. There is a separate box on the NCVEC 605 that says "issue new sequential callsign." If that box is not checked, you will keep your current call.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: