Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some posts so hard to read!!  (Read 21567 times)
W6TGE

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:40 PM »

why are so many posts written as 1 long sentence there is no uppercase and no periods also there are no other punctuation marks i sometimes read these posts over and over just to see if i understand them these are in the forums and even reviews of equipment

OK, Rant is now over. I feel better now!  
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 04:59:46 PM »

bad habit that can form if one does a lot of chat rooms
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:59:26 AM »

That also reflects the standard of education in our country (US) today.  The basics aren't taught at all while all the exotic baloney that is thought to be actually needed in life is.  The simple and basic way of writing, with nouns, verbs and descriptives (adverbs, adjectives) and punctuation is glossed over--if even mentioned in classrooms these days.

How much you want to bet that if you mentioned the words noun, verb, adverb, adjective or punctuation, that over 80% of the general populace would even know what you're talking about!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »

Along with the NEW math the NEW grammar resulting from our dumbed down educational system in the last 30 years, not to mention the inability to make use of the Spelt Chex or Wurd Purrfic functions.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:10:08 AM by W1JKA » Logged
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:25 AM »

not to mention the inability to make use of the Spelt Chex or Wurd Purrfic functions.

LOL!  That's a good one.  I've never understood why some don't use spell check.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »

Horse shizzle.

The average Ham is 60+ years old. The alleged "New" math and "New" grammar doesn't apply to the geezers heard on the the air any more than it does to the geezers seen here.

Ignorance is a choice.  And curable.  In some cases what you're seeing is the effect of a stroke or dementia, in others the author doesn't know any better much less care if you can figure it out because they know what they meant and that's all that matters.  Fact is it doesn't take much to get a call sign or post on eHam and what you see is who we are. Like any other group of people for every one above average here's one below average.  Take a wild guess which one gets more attention.........   Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 09:34:02 AM »

why are so many posts written as 1 long sentence there is no uppercase and no periods also there are no other punctuation marks i sometimes read these posts over and over just to see if i understand them these are in the forums and even reviews of equipment

OK, Rant is now over. I feel better now!  

so some people write better than others, what's the difference? why make a big deal out of it? as long as they get on the forums and participate, that's what it's for, right? nobody is perfect.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »

Re: A5CUP  reply #5

Not quite "Horse Shizzel", but point taken on the rest of your post, that's why I began my post "Along with". I also left out another possible answer to the Topic, Non comprehension of the words alone and/or the inability to read between the lines.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

Good writers picking on bad ones, good engineers picking on bad ones, conservatives picking on liberals, on and on and on. And they all have something/someone to blame. Brief I am, have not time to waste on this dribble.
W6TGE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »

I was only pointing out that the posts were very hard to read/understand. I was not saying that this was in any way unique to Ham Radio.

I also think that this "mode" of writing is very hard to turn off, so it is used when on the job. I hate it even when I call Customer Service and the rep keeps calling me DUDE! It just does not seem professional.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »

Yes, some of the wording and punctuation 'mistakes' could be attributed to medical issues with older hams, but the slide in the educational system began in the seventies and has accelerated since then.  Also, there is the issue of public school systems versus private or parochial schools.  It was well known even back in the sixties that the private schools concentrated on the fundamentals more than public school systems did.

It's too bad that the myopia of our government and some of the idiots that are our citizens stopped private schools from getting government funding, citing the 'separation of church and state' laws.  In the view of some, private schools did a much better job of basic education than any public school systems ever did.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »

...and if eHam started cherry picking who posts in the forums and who doesn't the quality of the forums might improve.

Some might say that has the potential of becoming a successful policy.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K7MEM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:47:03 AM »

.., not to mention the inability to make use of the Spelt Chex or Wurd Purrfic functions.

It seems that a lot of users do use a spell checker. For me the spell checking is done by the web browser. So it's pretty much automatic, unless I disable it. But the spell checker doesn't help when someone uses the wrong word. It may be spelled correctly, but it doesn't mean the same thing.

I agree. Posts like you describe are only partially read and easily misunderstood. If you have a question, you usually want someone to read and understand it. Same thing when your answering a question. But, we could argue this all day and it will still continue to happen.

Martin - K7MEM

http://www.k7mem.com
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

Good writers picking on bad ones, good engineers picking on bad ones, conservatives picking on liberals, on and on and on. And they all have something/someone to blame. Brief I am, have not time to waste on this dribble.
I want my Green Eggs and Ham!  (  Sorry, couldnt stop myself)

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 01:36:03 PM »

A+ for addition.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: