Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding behind eHam user name  (Read 7601 times)
W8ATA

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:28:23 AM »

How can some do a post containing disparaging comments about someone and hide behind an eHam user name which is not an issued call. It irratates me that it happens or can happen. Am I missing something like some obscure free speech widget.

Russ - W8ATA
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:32 AM »

You need to not be so thin skinned when it comes to interwebs forums. What I have seen here pales in comparison to some others.

If it really bugs you then report it.

Take anything anyone says here or on any forum with a grain of salt.

I don't know does this forum have an ignore feature?
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »

You could just use the IGNORE button to the left of the post. Grin Grin
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »

It's the INTERNET with equal shares of malcontents, mentally challenged, soap box derby ego boosters among others. Read it and laugh or direct it to the Recycle bin but don't let it ruin your day.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:46:43 AM by W1JKA » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »

Think of it being like some of those nets on 75 metres!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:44:40 AM »

PJB is right--use the ignore button if you don't like the person's comments.  There are even some with callsigns that I've use that button on.  Saves a lot of angst.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:22 AM »

frankly, the saying is wrong... on the Internet, it doesn't take long before everyone knows you're a dog.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »

I have two questions: 

Since this is a HAM forum....which is why it's called eHam.net..... so with that in mind, to my way of thinking anyone should HAVE to sign in with a valid callsign and not a handle.  That would pretty well eliminate some of the trolls and aluminum foil hat people.

The "Ignore" button.  How does that work?  Does it eliminate the total thread or just comments from one particular call/handle?  What?

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

Why not try it and see?

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »

Why not try it and see?

Reasonable suggestion...... just like the suggestion I got once about the "Delete" key on my computer.  Or the "Trip" button on my turbo-generator......

I learned a long time ago it's better to ask instead of "Try it, you'll like it." 

DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »

I have two questions: 

Since this is a HAM forum....which is why it's called eHam.net..... so with that in mind, to my way of thinking anyone should HAVE to sign in with a valid callsign and not a handle.  That would pretty well eliminate some of the trolls and aluminum foil hat people.
It might be possible to check the validity of an US callsign, but it's nearly impossible (without taking it to the extreme like LoTW does by sending a post card) to establish the identity behind the person signing up with a certain call. With foreign calls you're lost anyway. And consider that people who are interested in ham radio but do not have a callsign yet will be scared away if they can only sign up here with a callsign.

It's a vital part of online life that people have the possibility to stay anonymous. This may be abused now and then, but there's always the option to ignore someone, be it by technical means (filters) or just by not reading or replying to them.

The "Ignore" button.  How does that work?  Does it eliminate the total thread or just comments from one particular call/handle?
Just the user.

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »

How can some do a post containing disparaging comments about someone and hide behind an eHam user name which is not an issued call. It irratates me that it happens or can happen. Am I missing something like some obscure free speech widget.

Russ - W8ATA

I'm going to go against the grain here.

The worse thing about Internet, and eHam, is allowing people to post anonymously. This is especially true in a hobby forum.

Trolls, liars, and trouble makers don't like sunshine.

Allowing anonymous posts creates a needless problem. Freedom to bully or aggravate  is not freedom of speech.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »

This topic surfaces from time to time.  Below, is the last instance that I saw on the subject.
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,90494.15.html
My opinion is now as it was then, so I wont repeat myself.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:30:20 AM »

I'm going to go against the grain here.

Uhhh Tom.... I think you're going  with the grain here.  Those who feel that it's OK to post with a 'handle' are in the minority.

GM:
It's all about accountability. This seems to be a serious fault in today's culture.  Fewer and fewer of us want to held accountable for what we do, or what we say.  It's very easy to literally hide behind a made up moniker instead of placing your money where your mouth is; keyboard muscles.  eHam is unknowingly promoting this serious character flaw by allowing members to post without calls.  I've been a eHam member both paid and unpaid for a very long time.  As much as I enjoy reading and posting here, I will not monetarily support a site that promotes a double standard.  It's also interesting to note who has contributed to this thread; all amateur calls.

I hope the posting of your quote is OK OM.  This pretty well says it all.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 12:33:51 PM »

Not problem at all.  That's the core of this discussion.  I made that statement some time ago with a name, and a call and I'm willing to be held accountable for it rather than hide behind a screen name. Accountability, it's one of three valuable character traits with the other two being Honor and Integrity. Two others that are sadly lacking today. But that's a whole new discussion.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: