Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding behind eHam user name  (Read 7251 times)
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »

I have two questions: 

Since this is a HAM forum....which is why it's called eHam.net..... so with that in mind, to my way of thinking anyone should HAVE to sign in with a valid callsign and not a handle.  That would pretty well eliminate some of the trolls and aluminum foil hat people.

The "Ignore" button.  How does that work?  Does it eliminate the total thread or just comments from one particular call/handle?  What?

This isn't a bad idea, except there may be some users who are not HAMS yet, but are aspiring to become HAMS, as is the case of a few friends of mine. It wouldn't be quite fair to them to be banned from logging in.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 02:46:12 PM »

Another complication is that some of the questions posted here lead one to ask 'Just how the hell did that guy EVER get a licence, let alone an Extra Class?'

I try to ignore such questions rather than make the obvious answer......which would be best done anonymously...especially since in many cases, the question could be easily answered from looking in in an ARRL handbook.

I will admit that some of the 'correct' answers to the Extra Class exam are not strictly technically correct.....
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 05:41:28 PM »

what about the few poor slobs like me, who aren't HAMs, but who love radios, have a pretty decent listening shack and are perfectly content with that level of comms in their life, enjoy learning from and conversing with HAMs because-well-who better?
Maybe we dont rate here because we don't have a call?
K2VVH

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »

While I understand the desire that call signs should be used for all posts, I'm going to respectfully disagree, at least in part. When I decided to get back into ham radio, before I tested and got my license again, I discovered this site. It was invaluable to me for refreshing my old ham radio knowledge, and also for learning what the current status of the hobby was.

I'd hate to see other aspiring future hams lose that opportunity or get the feeling that they weren't welcome to ask questions here about what they could look forward to once licensed.
While I agree that trolls, malcontents, and blowhards are not wanted, if you come here without a license but with a decent and respectful attitude to learn more about this hobby, I'd welcome your participation.

Bruce
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 04:41:58 AM »

Both of these two preceding questions can be easily answered.  Instead of your call, your "username" would be [forename surname] until that time when you receive your license.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 05:08:55 AM »

Re: K3GM reply #19

What good is your real name? Google it in under find people and come up with  a thousand or more people with the same name across the country and play whose who? At least with a call sign you can check the FCC data base get and address and Google street view then check out his home, lawn ornaments, cars/motorcycles and antenna set up.
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 06:54:21 AM »

Re: K3GM reply #19

What good is your real name? Google it in under find people and come up with  a thousand or more people with the same name across the country and play whose who?
Not being critical of you post, but it raises good points so I quote it.

A real name does add an air of accountability, even if tracking one down requires some effort.

Over at Fauna Classifieds forum, they require your full name and verifiable address upon registration, and you can use any cutesy handle you like. The intent, since that is mainly a buy/sell commerce forum, is to reduce rip-offs and make everyone feel like they must answer for their words and/or actions. Improperly handled business deals rapidly achieve notoriety. Your handle is prominently displayed, but below that fictitious title are your real name and City, State. Works pretty good, but dishonest people will still surface from time to time.

Actually though, and assuming you're not sending a hit squad to settle these disputes, where a person lives and what his real name is and how easy it is for you to physically find him seems completely unimportant in the context of forum behavior. Maybe in a sale gone wrong, but for simple discussion, not so much. People so inclined will say stupid and/or abrasive things, whether you know who they are or not.

Then,assuming we solve the login ID problem, what about all the "cowards" that "hide" behind a PO Box license address - we'll have to deal with them next... I have nothing to fear (married) and use my street address, it's "those other people" I wonder about. </sarcasm>

Interaction here should be pretty simple:

If he breaks the rules, with or without a call sign, report the post.

If he doesn't break the rules but otherwise ruffles your feathers, with or without a call sign, try to keep it in context and either respectfully prove them wrong or just ignore them.

I was rather disillusioned to find that the call sign lends no credibility to one's posts. As pointed out above, there are plenty of Extras asking Technician-level questions.

IMO, being able to log in without a call is important to both encouraging new hams and to SW listeners.

I have seen several forums try too hard to limit membership to a narrowly qualified group of users that resulted in new member activity dropping to almost nothing. By the time new folks are 'vetted', they find the process not worth it and don't bother. The relatively few members there spend most of their time agreeing with each other. Result: Boring forum with no new information, no new members and a very solid level of stagnation.
At least with a call sign you can check the FCC data base get and address and Google street view then check out his home, lawn ornaments, cars/motorcycles and antenna set up.
Agreed, LOL. I actually think an electric blue "gazing ball" (model isotropic radiator) should be required for forum membership, but I have pretty high standards that I like to impose on others whenever possible.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 07:57:23 AM »

Re: NZ4ZN  reply #21

I understand other Forums have different sign in requirements and are probably the better for it, but I was alluding to eHam Forums only, where bogus or real names aren't required to give location or address. Where or WHO in the world is ZINKI or Chris Toforo?

Just for kicks I typed in a real name eHam responder "John Doe" no address given on EHam so went to people finder and after checking out the first 200 or so John Does I realized two things, 1) Google people finder does not list a persons hobby and 2) this John Doe is apparently very wealthy because he owns at least 200 houses across the country which means he owns and flies his own jet or is a very close relative to John Trivolta, hmmm, that gives me an idea to narrow the search somewhat, let me type in T R I V.... .

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:00:07 AM by W1JKA » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:11 AM »

Perhaps the only 'solution' to this dilemma is to do one of two things.

One:  Answer the question(s) asked without the question of "who are you" or

Two: Ignore this question.

THEN, if the person posting the question starts acting like a troll, everyone ignore him from there on out.

I used to belong to many Yahoo groups in electronics and woodworking.  Most use "usernames."  There has never been a problem with any of them....except here on eHam.net. 

I does appear like many of us, including myself, are considering eHam.net as OURS and no interlopers are allowed.  HFCRUSER made an excellent and irrefutable point.

WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »

Both of these two preceding questions can be easily answered.  Instead of your call, your "username" would be [forename surname] until that time when you receive your license.

I grew up with a guy named John Smith and another one named John Johnson.  Good luck finding anything on them.  Grin
On the other hand, two guys I worked with might be easier, both were electricians and one was named James Bond and the other Jessie James.  No, I am NOT making this up!
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 11:48:44 PM »

Some time back somebody was posting on here using the call,WE8RAT! Of course it`s fake. Pretty funny,though.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:42 PM »

Something that could be considered: making some portions of forum only available to users with call signs.  I signed on her before getting my license to ask questions primarily in the elmer and antenna sections. Maybe make sections like those available to anyone and keep other areas invisible until you provide a call sign.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

The real key is moderation. No one should be allowed to troll, or to engage in personal attacks.

eHam has even published articles that are nothing but personal attacks, which sets a terrible example and tone.
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 04:01:08 PM »

I have had thoughts along the same line as WI8P, only it would be that anyone could read any of the forums, but outside of say Elmers and SWL, only those with a callsign could post in the forums.

Richard, AB4ZT
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: