Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling QRP gear  (Read 7935 times)
N6PG

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »

So after weeks of going back and forth, I listed by HB1B on QRZ.  I've got a KX3 and an unbuilt small wonders SW 20 also. Am I the only one who can't seem to sell gear that isn't used?  I don't need the HB1B, but I don't want to sell it! I know most of you suffer from this disease...
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 03:45:35 AM »

Don't want to sell mine either. Currently have an MFJ Cub, MFJ 9040 and a SW30 out on loan to three young folks who are learning to copy on air CW, I just told them not to plug in a key and transmit. I'll let the grand kids worry about selling them.
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 05:57:11 AM »

I think it is easier, psychologically and financially speaking, to sell QRO transceivers. Except for two very notable exceptions, QRP rigs  are considerably less expensive than their QRO counterparts. I mean really, how much could I expect to gain, financially, by selling a Cub, OHR or any of a half-dozen so QRP kit rigs? Hardly worth the bother. Heck, they don't take up any space and could come in handy.  Plus, the blood, sweat, and tears that went into those kit rigs is priceless. I think so at any rate. Wish I had the good eyes and steady hands again to build another. I have two HW-8 rigs and couldn't possibly build one again even if Heathkit was back in business Sad.
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »

As mentioned on another post, i have 5 or probably 6 mfj nighties series. I cant part with them, and not sure why.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:28:36 AM »

It's just hardware.  Don't fall in love with something that can't love you back.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »

How about, "I don't have to feed it so why sell it?"
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »

I finally broke down and sold my HF rigs that weren't getting any love.  After they're gone you forget that you didn't want to sell them.

Anyway look at it this way - you have just freed up some space and funds for another toy!
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »

I sold it pretty quick... And I miss it! Ha! The advice of "don't love something that can't love you back" is solid.... But I do like these things! Much to my wife's chagrin... I don't think I'll part with anything else... As someone else pointed out... It's not worth the effort! Now I just need more free time to finish some kits.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 05:13:59 PM »

During the past 57 years I've sold, given away and traded a raft of stuff.  Radios, guns....whatever.  So far I've regretted disposing of every one!  I wouldn't call it love but the things that I got rid of and regretted the most were items that I built.  Each one was a labor of love, time, money and learning.  Each one has it's own special memories.

N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »

The one thing that is nice about radios (and guns),  is that you can buy them, play with them and sell them for about what you bought them for, less postage.   I have many radios that I plan on never selling, but in the past, when postage was much less expensive, I bought several radios simply to "test drive" them and then resell them.  For example, back in the 90's, I bought a Hamarlund HQ 180, kept it for a few months and ended up selling it to Joe Walsh, WB6ACU.  Would have never talked to him otherwise. So, you never know. 

It's OK to sell, as long as you use the money to buy another one. With QRP rigs, being very light and cheap to ship, you should be able to go through at least five to eight radios over a two or three year period and only lose a about a hundred dollars total in shipping them back and forth. On a per hour of fun basis, the cost would be extremely low.

Joe
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 05:53:37 AM »

N6PG,
I'm sorry to have to tell you that there is no known cure for this disease. I also have it. I did manage to sell my FT 817, my MFJ 9020 and 9040 rigs, but
I just can't sell my IC 703+ and my Ten Tec 4020 rig. I also bought the KX3 in January. They are all, "Keepers !"

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp

Barry
W5HEH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:11 PM »

Sorry i cannot relate nor do i have sympathy for collecting , when there are poor clubs ,kids and  Hams that could actually use those dust collections some of you have. I use what i buy and enjoy it , less is more , and giving i get more satisfaction from , any surplus gear is a bother for relatives to sell when we go SK. I am not saying give it away , charge something for it so the person will cherrish it , as you have . 73s
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 05:07:29 AM »

Sorry i cannot relate nor do i have sympathy for collecting , when there are poor clubs ,kids and  Hams that could actually use those dust collections some of you have. I use what i buy and enjoy it , less is more , and giving i get more satisfaction from , any surplus gear is a bother for relatives to sell when we go SK. I am not saying give it away , charge something for it so the person will cherrish it , as you have . 73s

I'm well aware of the plight of the poor, and I do more that just give it lip service. I also enjoy my hobby without worrying about potentially going SK and being a burden to my loved ones. I've given away entire ham stations, but I still enjoy building, tinkering, and playing with the various gear I have. No sympathy needed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: