Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you listen to on SW?  (Read 31019 times)
N3WAK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

There's still plenty--well, enough anyway--to listen to.  The magic of the Internet is that one (i.e, hammguy) can visit all of these broadcasters and find out when they broadcast.  I listen to Radio Australia in the mornings on 9.580 (they're also on 12.065, if I recall) with a powerhouse signal, and also Radio New Zealand International.  The BBC and Deutsche Welle have a good/really good signal in the afternoons, as does Radio Espana Exterior at 8:00 pm EDT on 6.055.  Radio Romania has a ton of frequencies, and excellent signals.  Radio Vietnam is out there, VOA, Radio Havana (from the last "free territory" in the Americas), and others. 

It's not like the old days.  I sure miss Radio Nederland, Radio Sweden, and Radio Canada International, and Radio Japan with its Canada relay station. 

But the bottom line is--it's too early to throw in the towel and listen to everything on-line.  I get so much pleasure from listening to the international broadcasters on my Drake SW-4A, 2-B, R-4B, R7A, SPR-4, and R8A.  All these Drakes are great, especially the ones that glow in the dark.  Happy listening!

73, Tony
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

It's not like the old days.  I sure miss Radio Nederland, Radio Sweden, and Radio Canada International, and Radio Japan with its Canada relay station. 

But the bottom line is--it's too early to throw in the towel and listen to everything on-line.  I get so much pleasure from listening to the international broadcasters on my Drake SW-4A, 2-B, R-4B, R7A, SPR-4, and R8A.  All these Drakes are great, especially the ones that glow in the dark.  Happy listening!

But the towel is close to getting thrown.  I still listen to SWBC, but the number of broadcasts, especially in English and Spanish (other than Cuba), is going down.

The BBC is cutting most of its SW broadcasts next year.  The VOA is still evaluating its future.  Putin saved the Voice of Russia for the time being, but for how long?

The fact of the matter is that there is almost no reason for these stations to continue broadcasting, other than to Africa and Asia, and most of those broadcasts will not be in English.  Even Havana, Beijing, and Pyongyang will eventually have to give it up when they find out that almost nobody's listening.

The rest of the world has moved onto better technology.  Eventually, the poorer countries of Africa and Asia will also be connected, and then the HF spectrum will be pretty much left to us hams for the most part.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

I'm mainly a MW (AM Band) listener.  The SW bands have been taken over with station after station after station of religious broadcasting.   Finding interesting broadcasts within the 49m, 41m, and 31m broadcast bands are a waste of time.  With the exceptions of possibly Radio Havana or China Radio International.  Of course there are the ham bands which provides some good entertainment. 

I'd really like to find out what you listen to.  Please post your frequencies and possibly broadcast times in GMT. 

There has to be more out there.   

With the current poor to average conditions you are more or less correct.  However with a good antenna and the right conditions, I can receive programming from Europe, Asia, the Pacific, and even Africa.  The best thing to do is scan the bands, you never know when propagation will favor some far away stations.

Brazil has come online to North America in the last year or so with an exceptionally powerful signal, rivaling that of RHC.  It is very wide and has a hi-fi quality to it that many SW stations now lack, preferring instead to go with a narrower bandwidth signal to maximize their transmission range.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »

If you aren't coming across the still vast number of English services across the bands at any given time of day, I suspect you need more antenna. Most of it comes from transmitters overseas. You seem to be only getting the religious US-based BCs, which makes me think that.
Here's a very helpful site that you can use to direct your dial
http://www.short-wave.info/index.php
Here in SFO, I can get BBC, VOA, Vietnam, China, N. Korea, DeutschWelle, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Africa, Romania, Iran, and more just in English, throughout the day.
I have to admit, Brother Stair is getting a bit too heavily into every band though, almost 24-7. Dude's on a mission Undecided

How Brother Scare can afford to put out such a powerful signal on so many bands at once is a mystery.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »

I mainly listen to MW year round, and also listen to SW during the summer months.

On the shortwaves I listen to Radio Nacional Da Amazonia on 6180 khz., the BBC in the 41 meter band during the mornings (comes into the West Coast of the US from Singapore), Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand on the 31 and 21 meter bands (don't have my logbooks handy for frequencies), and sometimes stations from (and to) the Middle Eastern countries like Iran and Kuwait (if propagation's in) which I usually hear on the 21 and 25 meter bands -- those stations are interesting to listen to for the cool music they often play (once again, I don't have my log handy, but www.short-wave.info has good schedule information).

Radio Pyongyang also plays some interesting music. I'll give them a listen if I hear them. Radio Rebelde on 5025 khz plays a lot of good music at night, and is audible in most of the U.S.

The VOA's broadcasts to Africa and Asia in foreign languages can sometimes be interesting for the music played.

Sometimes I tune into the CW portions of the ham bands, to try to learn more of the code, and sometimes tune into the SSB portions of the ham bands if propagation seems to be bringing in DX.

You are the second person in the thread to mention Voice of Korea, and I too enjoy listening to their unique blend of forceful and often hilarious rhetoric and amazingly funky music.  I think North Korean music should be put on the UN list of intangible cultural heritages, there is simply nothing even remotely like it in the world.  What other music has synthesizers, kazoos, harmonicas, accordions, guitars, and a full orchestra all at the same time?
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »

Mostly chasing relays and pirates of late. "The Gulch" is interesting on weekends. The South American regionals are a challenge.
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »

I have to take issue with the VK3 who said that we Americans are lucky to be able to listen to "Brother" Stair. This man, who obviously never got anywhere near a bible college or a divinity school, is an increasing irritant on the SW bands. He goes on and on about how Jesus is coming back soon and he has been doing that since the 1990s. He even claimed as the Millenium was approaching that he would stop broadcasting if Jesus did not return in 2000. This "prophet" runs some kind of compound in South Carolina and he is very restrictive about what his followers can do, including how they dress and talk. I have read personal statements from former members who quit concerning his heavy-handed ways and there were also charges of sexual misconduct from two young females.
 I am old enough to remember when there were far batter Christian broadcasters such as Radio HCJB from Quito, Ecuador and Vatican Radio. However, this new crop of right-wing "Christians" are a disgrace.  One of them that I heard in 2009 after Obama was elected told his listeners to buy lots of guns because the new administration was going to take their guns away. That same station also broadcast survival techniques such as hand to hand combat when the End Times come. One of the current broadcasters. Pete Peters, will launch into all kind of right-wing nonsense oin a regular basis.
 One night I was tuning across the 25 meter band and I heard 5 stations. All of them were broadcasting this stuff. It is definitely less enjoyable to listen to SW these days.
N1USD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »

This week I had dug out my old Realistic DX-302 and started to tune around the bands, and I also was shocked by the lack of stations.  I haven't done any listening since about the year 2001, I know that because that was my last copy of Passport to World Band Radio.
   I did catch Radio NZ this morning, but agree there seems to be mostly Brother Starr there.  I also lament the demise of HCJB is Radio Vatican still around?

I am thinking of getting a portable or laptop radio but was also looking at the Kenwood R2000 ro a Grundig 750 but now I am wondering if it is worth it?  With my DX302 and a multi band dipole, I don't know if a new radio would buy me much of anything I can't catch now.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »

I have to take issue with the VK3 who said that we Americans are lucky to be able to listen to "Brother" Stair. This man, who obviously never got anywhere near a bible college or a divinity school, is an increasing irritant on the SW bands. He goes on and on about how Jesus is coming back soon and he has been doing that since the 1990s. He even claimed as the Millenium was approaching that he would stop broadcasting if Jesus did not return in 2000. This "prophet" runs some kind of compound in South Carolina and he is very restrictive about what his followers can do, including how they dress and talk. I have read personal statements from former members who quit concerning his heavy-handed ways and there were also charges of sexual misconduct from two young females.
 I am old enough to remember when there were far batter Christian broadcasters such as Radio HCJB from Quito, Ecuador and Vatican Radio. However, this new crop of right-wing "Christians" are a disgrace.  One of them that I heard in 2009 after Obama was elected told his listeners to buy lots of guns because the new administration was going to take their guns away. That same station also broadcast survival techniques such as hand to hand combat when the End Times come. One of the current broadcasters. Pete Peters, will launch into all kind of right-wing nonsense oin a regular basis.
 One night I was tuning across the 25 meter band and I heard 5 stations. All of them were broadcasting this stuff. It is definitely less enjoyable to listen to SW these days.

Even Harold Camping was much more pleasurable to listen to than Brother Scare.  While I didn't have much of an interest in his theology, he was entertaining sometimes, and his hypnotic voice was very relaxing.

If you listen for the weaker signals, you'll find that lots of other programming is still making its way into the USA even if it is unintentional on the part of the broadcaster.  I had a fun time last night listening to North Korean music on 11680.
N1USD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »

just did some "scanning" the bands, found some interesting music, that is always fun as I try to identify the country.

The I tried to get a time signal on 10.000 and nothing but just up the band at 10.052 got Gander aviation weather, came in on USB really well, so I came out here to the kitchen and tried it on my 803A and while it is scratchy on the internal whip it is readable.
  So there is stuff there.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »

I sold my Grunndig YB-400 and I got a new Chinese radio for $40 on amazon. I like the radio in my camping setup. There is a lot less than in the 80s! As others have pointed out, but there is still a lot out there. I have an HF in the plane I fly, and in the last 2 days ive heard a couple of middle eastern stations, North Korea, Australia, Cuba, VOA. The shows and music were still very interesting. Funny, but the VOA show I listened to in its entirety!
K1FPV

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

re: Scott N6PG

I too used to listen using a small SW receiver I hand carried on the smaller private aviation aircraft I used to fly. Back in the late 60's when I had my ham license already for about 6 to 8 years, I used to have a small transistor radio. Unfortunately today, there are nowhere near as many SW stations as back in the 60's and 70's.

Also, due to age and health conditions, I no longer can pass my medical to fly though I still manage to go up occasionally with another pilot and keep my feet wet!  Cool

Bill, K1FPV
N4OI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 05:55:22 AM »

I work from home and often have the Drake R8 tuned in...  In the morning, here on the east coast, Radio Australia is like high fidelity.  In the afternoons, I gravitate toward the air traffic control frequencies for flights between NYC and the Carib.  And occasionally, the BBC Africa broadcasts have great music, but not like the best, Jerry, the BEST: music from the Voice of Greece (regardless of the broadcast language)...  Still lots of good stuff on HF!

Regarding the Christian broadcasts, they are all capable of opening hearts for the Holy Spirit, no matter how weird.  In my youth, HCJB (not weird!) was instrumental to my later accepting Jesus Christ as my savior... even though I did not know Him then...   Yes, many benefits from this great hobby!

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI  Grin
KF5ONT

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »

Saturday on 7.375 has some good music.
Here is some Beatles on my old Yaesu.

www.netlight.org/00018.MTS

EDIT * Oops. Thats the Doors. Wrong vid... Grin

Beatles below.
www.netlight.org/00023.MTS
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:34:39 PM by KF5ONT » Logged
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »

Anybody remember WWCR? "World Wide Christian Radio" is what the call meant, but most of their stuff was right wing conspiracy programming. Some of it could be trippy. I remember some dude announcing that martial law in the US was "imminent"...around 2004.  Roll Eyes Most of it was "scarelore" intended to sell cheap survival supplies and fake/overpriced precious metals. How about that Cooper guy and his Hour Of The Time show? He eventually came to believe his own BS, and committed suicide by cop cause he was convinced that it was only a matter of time until he would be shipped to a FEMA camp. I personally think that the "Christian" stn's now are fronts for the CIA. How else can they afford those beefy signals, since they likely have few true followers? The Scotts have that tx in Anguilla, how do they afford diesel fuel for the generators?
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: