Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer monitor RFI  (Read 3791 times)
AA9G

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »

Just wondering if monitors are a major source? In comparing LCD vs LED is one better? I am setting up a station that may end up with 4 monitors.
If it matters I will be running a K3.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:25:55 PM by W5DCG » Logged

Ex KC9EEV.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 06:03:20 AM »

LED monitors are LCD.  Just a different backlight, formerly cold cathode tube.

In my experience most monitors radiate some level of grunge.  However, it would take a pretty strong source of interference to radiate very far.  So the upshot of that is if you have sufficient antenna isolation it usually isn't a problem.

If your chassis grounds are part of your antenna system via common mode, it wouldn't take much of an interference source to cause a problem because your monitors are effectively just feet from your antenna.  So it has less to do with what rig you're running and more to do with your antenna.  It works both ways too.  With poor isolation you can cause computer problems when you transmit.  People go through all sorts of remedies like ferrites, different keyboards, mice, monitors etc to resolve what is likely local incident overload.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

CCFL consumes more power so the inverter will generator more noise.
LED back lighting  generally generates much less RFI. You can however get a crap design with  a poor EMC design that can cause bad QRM.
If you stick with the name brands like Samsung, Philips etc you will be OK. Its all the no name cheap brands that can be danger even it is LED.

The CCFL generates some very strong birdies that can be hard to get rid of. CCFL also seems to have a lot of broadband hash being radiated  from the display and electronics.

LED will be the best long term decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: