Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P4DRAGON DR-7800 modem  (Read 22712 times)
N9KWW

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

I was bestowed a new P4DRAGOM modem from my better half. I installed it and ran it on winlink, so far it is supper fast and the connects are spot on. I have a few questions, I know on the MARS bands I can run it at full speed, but when I go to the HAM bands how do i throttle it back to avoid the speed issue. or will it run at slower speeds automatically. I would also like to say that running Pactor 4 vs Winmor is a god send, I no longer have to wait and wait to get the traffic.  I saw somewhere that MARS members can get this modem at a discount under some program, where do I go to find out more? Others in my state would love to get their hands on one of this puppies but can't afford the very high price tag.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »

Contact ( farallon.us ) and they will explain the discount process.  I use this modem frequently on the AMARS bands
and also on the ham bands.  If using it with a ham winlink station it will run at P3 speeds in the USA.  If you link up
to  Canadian RMS it will run at P4 speeds unless you hold it to P3 speed.

Farallon gives discounts to amateurs that can show that they are a member of an EMA and may give discounts to
MARS members.  Check with them.  Enjoy using this unit and try it in peer to peer.  Works well that way too.
Art, AAR5TG 
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »

N9AOP,

Hi, I tried to send you an email via your address on qrz.com, but it bounced.

Anyhow, I was curious what you use your P4Dragon for besides WinLink/Mars.

Thanks,
Carlton
K2CMH
N9KWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:20:11 AM »

Sorry about the e-mail issue… replaced the e-mail address today so it should be up now. As for the Dragon. I use is mostly for MARS and Winlink, however I do use it for my amateur e-mail as well. It worked extremely well at our last ARES exercise. We used it as a link from the EOC to the  incident scene for near real time, both on HF and VHF frequencies. We used it in a tri-mod situation and it worked okay. The massive speed difference made it very hard to keep the buffer from overloading. At the end of the day it works best  for MARS/Winlink usage. If there were more stations that had one that would change the usage quite a bit.   Smiley
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

N9KWW,

Thanks for the reply!   It's ashamed that they are so expensive so that it keeps most people from buying them.

Carlton
K2CMH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: