Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibroplex Sea Lion Model Key  (Read 2169 times)
N5TF

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »

Has anyone ever hear of a Vibroplex Sea Lion model bug key. It looks like a vibroplex champion bug but on the bottom it has written Sea Lion Model.  By the serial number it was made in 1960?  Also in the middle of the base there is a hole for securing on a desk.  Not sure if the hole was factory made due to sea vessel use? 

Any info Appreciated,

N5TF
KJ4MPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »

The Navy changed over to using Champion bugs from the Lightning Bug sometime in the 50's.  Just a stock Champ with military reg/contract stamps on the bottom, pretty sure still designated the J-36.  Perhaps Sea Lion was a vessel it was used on.  I'm sure it'd have been bolted down, I'd hate to try and chase a loose bug around a desk that is pitching and rolling in heavy seas!  Might post a picture of it.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:36 PM »

USS Sealion (SS/SSP/ASSP/APSS/LPSS-315), a Balao-class submarine, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the sea lion, any of several large, eared seals native to the Pacific.
She is sometimes referred to as Sealion II, because her first skipper, Lieutenant Commander Eli Thomas Reich, was a veteran of the first Sealion, serving on her when she was lost at the beginning of World War II.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Sealion_(SS-315)

Builder: General Dynamics Electric Boat,
Groton, Connecticut
Laid down:   25 February 1943
Launched:   31 October 1943
Commissioned:  8 March 1944
Decommissioned:  16 February 1946
--
Recommissioned:  2 November 1948
Decommissioned:  30 June 1960
--
Recommissioned:  20 October 1961
Decommissioned:  20 February 1970
Struck:  15 March 1977
Fate:     Sunk as a target off Newport on 8 July 1978
====
BTW, the movie Fantastic Voyage (1966) features a Vibroplex bug for Morse (CW) communication from the miniaturized submarine.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:40:30 PM by W9GB » Logged
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:37:20 PM »

The Navy changed over to using Champion bugs from the Lightning Bug sometime in the 50's.  Just a stock Champ with military reg/contract stamps on the bottom, pretty sure still designated the J-36.  Perhaps Sea Lion was a vessel it was used on.  I'm sure it'd have been bolted down, I'd hate to try and chase a loose bug around a desk that is pitching and rolling in heavy seas!  Might post a picture of it.

I thought that marine operators were using sideswipers, not bugs.  A bug, on a rolling ship, has all kinds of trouble with dit dwell-time.

Live and learn .  . .

.           CHarles
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »

Re: N5TF

Was Sea Lion actually stamped on the key's name plate or possibly just printed on by  a ship's R/O? In the mid 90's Crowley Marine Transport operated a combo ro/ro container ship named Sea Lion, I was Chief Mate on her at the time, the R/O used a side swiper but also had a Vibroplex bug for back up and hamming it up in port.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: