Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When will Radio Hams share more Software (ie, as Open Source S/W)?  (Read 1652 times)
VK5CQ

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

We Hams like to help other Hams... and this warm tradition has lead to many Hints & Tips like articles & shorts, in QST & Club newsletters alike.

Entire schematics, with detailed parts-lists, are distributed, as part of articles, in either type of publication... but Software is often offered sans (without) source-code.

Why should this be so?

Although some (OK, even a great deal of) Open Source software is available for Ham projects, some is held, as if "Company Confitential" even when there might be those able & interested in reading & possibly extending or customizing a project's software.

Why?

Why don't we let clever folks extend / customize the software modules of a larger project, just as we do its hardware moduled?

If not NOW, when? :-/
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

I'm not sure why, but your observation is correct. A lot of the "free" ham software is not open source.
I'm doing my part Smiley :

https://github.com/n4ogw/so2sdr
http://code.google.com/p/so2sdr/

Tor
N4OGW
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:28 PM »

We Hams like to help other Hams... and this warm tradition has lead to many Hints & Tips like articles & shorts, in QST & Club newsletters alike.

Entire schematics, with detailed parts-lists, are distributed, as part of articles, in either type of publication... but Software is often offered sans (without) source-code.

Why should this be so?

Because releasing your code to open source means you must either coordinate the project -- which is serious work -- or suffer forks, which are a disaster. If I'm developing software for my own enjoyment of the process, the last thing I want to spend time doing is coordinating the efforts of other developers, no matter how good they might be.

I led the effort to assemble and launch the Eclipse Foundation in 2003, recently rebooted TQSL (with Rick K1MU and Robert KC2YWE), and setup an open source project around MMTTY, MMVARI, and MMSSTV; my perspective is rooted in experience.

Dave, AA6YQ (author, DXLab)
N2CKH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »

Dave, AA6YQ is right on target with his comments.

Then in addition to those un-needed forks, add those who would create trojan builds and otherwise misuse the IP in violation of the license the code is released under.

However that being said I have often thought about releasing libraries in binary format for reuse and even key libraries in source code form over the years.

At some point in the near future I will being doing so and went on record as such in my RM-11708 comments with the new 2G Listen-Before-Transmit project code from the ALE tools. I personally can not think of a better source  code project to do so with for the betterment of Amateur Radio.

Then at some point when I have the time to do so, I may create Dynamic Link Libraries (.DLL, .so and .dylib) for Windows, Linux and MAC OS X for my Radio Control Library from the ALE tools. Perhaps I may just a Radio Emulation applet based on that feature of the ALE tools where any program that supports KENWOOD or ICOM as detailed can control any supported radio, which is how I use HRD, RMS Express etc, to control my Harris RF-350, SGC-2000, TK-90 and others radios not commonly supported.

/s/ Steve, N2CKH (Author MARS-ALE/PC-ALE)

Why should this be so?

Because releasing your code to open source means you must either coordinate the project -- which is serious work -- or suffer forks, which are a disaster. If I'm developing software for my own enjoyment of the process, the last thing I want to spend time doing is coordinating the efforts of other developers, no matter how good they might be.

I led the effort to assemble and launch the Eclipse Foundation in 2003, recently rebooted TQSL (with Rick K1MU and Robert KC2YWE), and setup an open source project around MMTTY, MMVARI, and MMSSTV; my perspective is rooted in experience.

Dave, AA6YQ (author, DXLab)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: