Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Connecting XLR microphone to Icom 7100 and 706 MK IIG  (Read 3588 times)
KC0BWA

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »

I've got an Icom 7100 and a 706 MK IIG. I'd like to use a Heil PR40 with them connected through a Behringer 802usb mixer. Can someone tell me what adapter cable I need to go from XLR to the RJ45 type connector on the Icom. Also can I come directly out of the sound mixer to the Icom ?

Thanks

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »

The Heil PR40 is one thing, but using an external mixer is almost nuts! The 7100 has a decent IF DSP, and that's about all the processing you'd ever need. Unless of course, you want to create a whole lot of IMD!

The 706 is a bit simpler, but it doesn't need any help in the audio department. In any case, both units have low-level inputs, so any overdrive is not something you want to do.

K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:31:30 PM »

Ham Nation episode #36 has instructions on connecting a balanced (XLR) microphone to the unbalanced input on a radio. It's not hard. In the same episode, there's also a segment on connecting a mixer to an IC-7000. The mixer has a line-level output, of course, so the suggestion is to connect it to the accessory jack in the back, instead of the mic input, so as not to overdrive the mic preamp in the rig. So putting the two together, you'll be able to connect the balanced, line-level output from the mixer to the unbalanced line-level audio input of the accessory jack. Same principles would apply to an IC-7100 or 706, I'd imagine. I have been considering doing it with my MkIIG just for kicks.

See here http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/36

Good luck!

73 de Tony K1OC

M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 04:20:13 AM »

You go through the 13 pin socket at the back to bypass the mic preamp in the rig so you can take full advantage of a lower noise signal and all that lovely equalisation the mixer offers.

Also as I think is shown in the same video you can use the same socket to get audio out of the Icom to use on an external speaker via the same mixer you use for the mic. Audio amps in amateur radios are actually quite poor having up to 10% distortion which makes listening a bit tiring after a while.
KC0BWA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

Is there anyone who makes and sells that 13 pin connectors ?

You go through the 13 pin socket at the back to bypass the mic preamp in the rig so you can take full advantage of a lower noise signal and all that lovely equalisation the mixer offers.

Also as I think is shown in the same video you can use the same socket to get audio out of the Icom to use on an external speaker via the same mixer you use for the mic. Audio amps in amateur radios are actually quite poor having up to 10% distortion which makes listening a bit tiring after a while.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »

Is there anyone who makes and sells that 13 pin connectors ?

[/quote]

The radio comes with them when you buy it or you can get them from Ebay if you got a used one that didn't. You just solder plugs on the end of the required wires. If your connector doesn't come with wires connected, use shielded multicore cable.

Whilst you do find pre-made ones they tend to be only wired to run the ALC and PTT for an amp. Its a technical hobby, get your soldering iron out.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: