Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cited for CVC 23123 ? CHP Improperly Applying The Law  (Read 14957 times)
K6EK

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

An associate on the job was cited for a violation of CVC 23123. He was using his company radio. To my reading this applies to telephone devices, not radios. Does anyone have current knowledge of this area ? Sounds like the CHP is legislating again.

Ken
K6EK
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

Code says "wireless telephone". Think they screwed up. Oh well, I'm sure his appeal will win but unfortunately he has to waste his time.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »

Not sure if he can contest by mail or has to appear in traffic court. Either way, take photo of radio and car, have copy of business license, keep notes on what was discussed, etc. Look at citation and verify if cellphone or radio was mentioned rather than just the CVC 23123 violation.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:39:05 PM »

Hi

A letter from the radio manufacturer, signed by one of their techs,
to verify that the radio is in fact a radio and not a cellular device.

73 james
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 06:26:41 PM »

I seem to recollect that when California's hands-free was first enacted the California Highway Patrol sent out a letter specifically saying the statue DID NOT apply to amateur radios with a hand-held microphone.  By extension this should apply to a business band; radio as well...

Unfortunately, I can't find the letter online.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:21:52 AM »

I know this isn't Amateur Rasio but would the ARRL have any info?

73 details Tony
Sent by WW2 Royal Navy signal lamp
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »

I know this isn't Amateur Rasio but would the ARRL have any info?

Yes, apparently the Feds have passed "distracted driving" laws, and the NHTSA is confused as to the proper definitions of how to apply the rules. The ARRL has chimed in:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This%20Month%20in%20QST/November%202013/It%20Seems%20to%20US.pdf

If you look up MAP-21 information
http://www.distraction.gov/download/research-pdf/DD_NOFA.pdf
it references a section of 47 CFR 332(c)(7)(C)(i) where the banned things are defined:

(C) Definitions
For purposes of this paragraph—
(i) the term “personal wireless services” means commercial mobile services, unlicensed wireless services, and common carrier wireless exchange access services;
(ii) the term “personal wireless service facilities” means facilities for the provision of personal wireless services; and
(iii) the term “unlicensed wireless service” means the offering of telecommunications services using duly authorized devices which do not require individual licenses, but does not mean the provision of direct-to-home satellite services (as defined in section 303 (v) of this title).

Where "commercial mobile service" means interconnected to the phone network.

I can't see how that applies to a Licensed non-commercial radio service (Amateur Radio), or for that matter conventional commercial 2-way radios. It's just a case of a bunch of bureaucrats not understanding the limitations of their own rules, and trying to broaden the intent of the law. With a lot of innocents caught up in their web.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:52 AM »

Does that little bureaucrat nightmare inculde autopatch repeaters? 
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 06:58:16 AM »

Depends on your lawyer Smiley
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

People still use autopatches???  Cheesy
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »

Still using a hand-held microphone aren't you?

Besides, why would anyone use an autopatch when everyone age 12 and up has a cellphone?

Mike
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »

Maybe not where you live, but in certain parts of the country a good 2 Meter Rig to an autopatch repeaters is more reliable and generally has better coverage. Different tools for different jobs. Cell phones didn't replace the autopatch, they just provided another tool and one tha was available to the general public.

What with all the hoopla about distracted, walkers, drivers, whatever else you care to insert; cell phones may soon be banned, restricted, and/or licensed to the point of unusability.

KF7CG
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:57 PM »

Not sure how it works in the states, but a friend of mine fell foul of the law which bans use of mobile phones, he was using his ham rig and the policeman didn't know PTT devices were excluded from the legislation. My friend, armed with the relevant legislation and exclusion, appeared in court to contest the charge, when it was proven he actions weren't in breach of that particular piece of legislation, the charge was changed to driving with undue care and attention, which he lost!
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »

Wow, what a judicial system you got there.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

the charge was changed to driving with undue care and attention, which he lost!

Guess it's time to rig up a footswitch for PTT, and a hidden mic. Is it a crime to appear to be talking to yourself?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: