The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RadioShack shortwave receiver  (Read 8097 times)
N6PG

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:35:57 PM »

I went into a RadioShack that is closing in one week. They had a small portable shortwave receiver on sale from $39 to eight dollars. If it's within a week of closing I think the prices are worth checking.
NW7N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:21:10 AM »

I bought the last one of those from my local RS last weekend. It's not a very good receiver, but it's not bad considering it is practically free.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:32 AM »

If it's the 200629, it's a Sangean ATS-505 and it's a good SW broadcast receiver, and works well on FM, and AM too (although in many areas of the country an external loop makes the MW section DX better).

I know there's another Radio Shack digital SW radio that's out there that gets mixed reviews. It's not a Sangean.
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 07:42:45 AM »

50' of RG-58 with PL-259 connectors was $5... A true RMS multi-meter was $17... How many meters do you need? That's what my XYL is going to say when I get home from this business trip!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:59 PM »

The Eton/Grundig (not a real Grundig) S450-DLX Field radio sold by RS has gotten mixed reviews. Chinese quality can still be variable. Later ones seem to be better. Early ones were beset by images, intermittent solder joints, wobbly plastic knobs, etc.
 The price has been greatly reduced as it may soon be discontinued for a new upcoming model.
 My buddy got one of the last ones in the area and he is quite happy with its looks, final price and performance.
 I saw a Grundig G6 Aviator 'Buzz Aldrin Edition' and while I admire the man and the 'special edition' may be a collectable one day, I was not impressed with the fit, finish or performance.
 Poor Max Grundig, what have they done to your good name?
 I used to by a new Realistic DX-series communications receiver or scanner every few years. I still have the DX-120 and DX-400 and some Pros. Some are still good radios, some were not so good. Usually always a fairly good value, radio-wise.
 Most local public safety and all cellular has gone digital, so the older Pros are nearly useless. The digital Pro-197 is a decent performer and sits by my bedside.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: