Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Portable SWL Receiver for SSB  (Read 56574 times)
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »

The best portable radio for SSB listening is the Sony ICF-SW7600G.  There is a slightly more up-to-date version that should still be available in the USA.  With a modest antenna (6 or so metres of wire) it hears everything my Yaesu transceiver hears.  It has a very good build quality and runs on AA batteries for ages.

M5AEO, London UK.

KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:21 PM »

Hello,

I've been following this topic for some time. I hope somebody can clarify some points to me.

I am now based in Western Europe, so I was thinking of buying a Degen 1103 (not a Kaito because that's not available in Europe). I read nothing but praise for this radio but some reviews point out that the scan is increments on 5 khz.

1) Can anybody what the scan increments are for the Degen 1103 in ssb mode?
2) Again what are the scan increments are for the Tecsun PL-660 in ssb mode?
3) Does anybody know if there is a reseller for either radios in the Netherlands?
4) Apart from Ebay, can anybody tell me a reliable online reseller from China?

Thanks

The DE1103 is a nice radio but the PL-660 is especially better for SSB. The DE1103 uses a BFO for SSB so I believe you listen to both LSB and USB at the same time. That's not a big deal if the band is not very crowded, however the pl-660 has a BFO WITH SELECTABLE LSB or USB. Both sets, using the BFO, can tune at the smallest hz.
F4GFT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »

I second the vote for the Sony 7600. While it cannot compete with a stationary receiver with IF filtering for CW in a contest situation, it is a fine radio for SSB work, and its build quality far exceeds the Tecsun radios. There are some comfort issues (no tuning dial, few memories), but in terms of reception quality, it still is up to par with the more modern, albeit more cheaply constructed radios.
N0SYA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 06:45:05 AM »

Agreed, the 7600 is a fine piece for its size and price. The one I tried out was sensitive enough with the antenna collapsed and folded to the rig most times for decent enough rx.

If you have a clumsy child, you make them wear a helmet. If you have death prone children, you keep a few clones of them in your lab.
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 03:44:41 PM »

One more question about the Tecsun pl-660. Does anybody know the bandwidth of the narrow/wide filter?
I've read that the Degen's filters are respectively 4 and 6 Khz? Is this the same for the Tecsun?

4 Khz is really too wide for ssb.

However watching (and listening) some direct comparison between the two receivers on Youtube, I haven't spotted much difference.

Not sure how wide they are... what matters is that it sounds good
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 11:36:02 PM »

One more question about the Tecsun pl-660. Does anybody know the bandwidth of the narrow/wide filter?
I've read that the Degen's filters are respectively 4 and 6 Khz? Is this the same for the Tecsun?

4 Khz is really too wide for ssb.

However watching (and listening) some direct comparison between the two receivers on Youtube, I haven't spotted much difference.

4 KHz is perhaps not wide enough, if you intend to use SSB mode to get away from a nearby station that is interfering with a sidelobe of the "AM" broadcast.  I have in fact wished that my KX3 go wider than 4.2 KHz in order to get the super-wideband sidelobes put out by Brazil and China if there is intrusion on the other lobe.

The best shortwave radios are ham transceivers or communications receivers, because they allow flexibility not found in the more consumer-oriented units.
N1BBR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »

Hello,

I've been following this topic for some time. I hope somebody can clarify some points to me.

I am now based in Western Europe, so I was thinking of buying a Degen 1103 (not a Kaito because that's not available in Europe). I read nothing but praise for this radio but some reviews point out that the scan is increments on 5 khz.

1) Can anybody what the scan increments are for the Degen 1103 in ssb mode?
2) Again what are the scan increments are for the Tecsun PL-660 in ssb mode?
3) Does anybody know if there is a reseller for either radios in the Netherlands?
4) Apart from Ebay, can anybody tell me a reliable online reseller from China?

Thanks

I can answer for the Degen 1103.  Amazon.com distributes it using a seller in China.  The price for the unit as of August 2014 was around $65.
The draw-back is the shipping time from China can take up to 2 months.
I use the Degen for night-time listening to CW & SSB rag-chewing.
Its a very small unit, with a 120VAC power adapter that is noise free, I plug in an external dipole antenna which is sometimes a little too much signal for the unit.  I'm surprised that for CW listening its as clean as it is for the price...just right for me! :-]
N1BBR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 07:11:28 PM »

I have an update on the Degen 1103.
Of the ham bands, it only receivers 160, 80, 40 and 20 meters.
SETTERPT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 05:37:36 PM »

I have an update on the Degen 1103.
Of the ham bands, it only receivers 160, 80, 40 and 20

The 1103 actually has continuous coverage, simply enter the frequency you want. Great little receiver.
KD8UEI

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »

I use a Tecsun PL-660. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.
K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 04:20:18 AM »

Digital readout?

CW/SSB digital readout?

ALL HF and FM as a nice side attraction...FM local?

Grundig Yachtboy

Have one.  Love it.

Get one.  Love it as well.  True portability with AC as well as DC battery power that works VERY WELL on battery power.

A decent set of "cans" (headphones) make the world come ALIVE....isolated, rare, far away islands and countries spring to life on electronic waves to your ears. 

While many DX countries have disapeared from SW many remain.

Get yours while supplies last!

Bruce

K5TEN
(EX- KA9SOX,  KA9SOX/VE1, VE3)
M5AEO

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »

The best portable I have ever owned is the Sony ICF-7600G.  It is quite expensive compared to the cheaper sets from China, but it is very well built and should last a lifetime.  Mine is over 20 years old now and still going strong. The only minor point is that it doesn't have a proper tuning knob, but you do get used to that.  I think the latest version is almost out of production, so if you find one, GRAB IT!

Jonathan, M5AEO, London.

N3AZH

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 12:39:44 AM »

I really liked my early Sony ICF SW 7600, wish I still had it.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »

I just got a Tecsun PL-660 and I am very impressed.  I use it more than my Lowe HF-150, thanks to its lighted display, easier frequency navigation, sleep timer, etc. 
W8IFI

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »

When I read portable I think of easy to carry and move around. Also want a radio that can have several applications like FM,AM, SWL,SSB. I have a Grundig G-5, G-3, and G-6. I like to listen to CW at times if I'm on the road and in a new area, music at times,and can be used as a side tone for qrp rigs, etc. I have found the G5 has wonderful sound when playing music and good fine tune capability for SSB. If Eton brought it back with a good quality control process I think they would have a winner. Some units seem to have a hit or miss result passing through quality control. I was lucky and got good ones.

W8IFI  Jim
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: