Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No TX tones on PSK31  (Read 3229 times)
W7TNS

Ignore
« on: May 07, 2014, 03:17:29 PM »

Hi! Trying to resurrect PSK31 after being out several yrs, mostly on 20m but open to anything good. Am running a IC746, amateur version, and HRD 5.38? with a CI-V cable made in England. Receives great, reads well. When set up to TX, problem I have is it keys therig OK, but with NO tones. I checked it using a Sony 2010 rcvr, so just a carrier goes out. Any help/where to look would be appreciated!  de Jerry W7TNS
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »

What interface are you using between the 746 and the computer?  The standard CI-V interface just does rig control, does not connect to the PC sound card.

GL
KA9CCH
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »

Yes...I know. Am using a cable bought from xggcomms.com for Icom rigs...Jerry W7TNS
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 06:04:11 AM »

Hi! Trying to resurrect PSK31 after being out several yrs, mostly on 20m but open to anything good. Am running a IC746, amateur version, and HRD 5.38? with a CI-V cable made in England. Receives great, reads well. When set up to TX, problem I have is it keys therig OK, but with NO tones. I checked it using a Sony 2010 rcvr, so just a carrier goes out. Any help/where to look would be appreciated!  de Jerry W7TNS

Stupid question:  What mode is your rig in?

If you're hearing a carrier, that would mean AM?  PSK31 is in USB (On all bands).

As for no tones going out (Which you should still here in AM), is your headphone jack connected properly to your mic input?
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »

Thank you for your response to my problem. Well, first, I am using USB, of course. When I first tried it today, had no receive either. Found out that my Din plug is a loose fit into the ACC socket in back. Once I pushed it a bit more solid, the  receive came back. I have emailed the company about this. I have the Din plug in the left ACC socket, so if you are familiar with Icom 746's, would like to know if that is the correct one. This rig has 2 ACC sockets in back, and am using the left. Now, to your question about headphone jack going to the computer mike input...I have an external speaker plugged into the rig, and the cables's headphone plug plugged into the "remote" jack in back. Since it does receive, and keys the rig, I thought this was correct, and according to directions from manufacturere, if I am reading correctly.
If sounds way off to you, please let me know...Tnx!!
KA9CCH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »

When you say it receives ok I assume that your software is decoding the PSK31 signals. 
In HRD DM780 check the sound card settings to make sure the level for transmit is actually turned up.  While running into a dummy load, you'll see zero PO on the 746 until you get audio from the computer into the radio.  Keep us posted.  BTW,  did this setup ever work?

GL
KA9CCH
Levert

W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »

Thanks for your help. First, as mentioned in early post, am trying to resurrect PSK, but have a different computer and version of HRD than yrs before. Now, when I went in a few minutes ago to HRD and 780, my level on transmit was at 100. Hard to tell which way the mute button was active, so tried it both ways to no avail. Unfortunately, when trying to adjust things, my comp. will no longer key my 746, so my bad! Tried several things to bring back Xmit, but no joy so far. Guess I'm going backwards at this point...SadSad
W7TNS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »

Currently working with company in England...definetely have a Din plug problem of some type, possibly bad ground. Plug is loose in socket. Once I spread the outer ring, it went back to good rcv and tx again. However, still no tones at this point. Company has shipped new cable to me...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: