Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of a recording when calling CQ  (Read 26050 times)
K4TPC

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »

My transceiver has a built-in voice recorder that can playback a recording at the press of a button while transmitting. Is it okay to use a voice recorder playback when calling CQ during a contest? I'm interested what other contest hams think about this idea.
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:37:19 PM »

Done all the time.  Saves your voice. 
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:00:48 AM »

My transceiver has a built-in voice recorder that can playback a recording at the press of a button while transmitting. Is it okay to use a voice recorder playback when calling CQ during a contest? I'm interested what other contest hams think about this idea.

It's quite common to use either an internal or external "voice keyer" not only to call CQ, but to conduct nearly all of or even an entire contest contact.

For example, my Kenwood TS-590S has the capability to transmit four different messages -- which I record as:
     #1 -- CQ
     #2 -- The contest exchange
     #3 -- Thank You, QRZ? and My Call.
     #4 -- My Call

When "Running" -- I send message #1 to call CQ. When a station answers, I say his call into the mic then send message #2 for the exchange. After I receive his exchange, I send message #3 to complete the contact, and if I don't get an immediate response I send message #1 to resume calling CQ.

When doing Search-and-Pounce, when I hear a station I want to work, I send message #4 (My Call), and when he answers I sent message #2 (Contest Exchange) to complete the contact without ever saying a word into the mic.  Smiley
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »

Lot of people I hear using these tapes sound like they had their 'nads removed. 
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:41:58 PM »

Doing this will keep you from being hoarse Monday morning. Contesters use digital voice recorders all the time for this very purpose. In fact, I use the DVR in my I com every day to call regular CQs. Audio quality is excellent. If calling CQ on a "dead band," using the DVR is the only way to go.

73, N4KZ
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »

I use it a lot in pileups.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:13:26 AM »

Want to hear the use/overuse of a DVR? Listen to 28425 sometime...

W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »

Done all the time.  Saves your voice. 

Ditto!   Works well!
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »

It's quite common to use either an internal or external "voice keyer" not only to call CQ, but to conduct nearly all of or even an entire contest contact.

For example, my Kenwood TS-590S has the capability to transmit four different messages -- which I record as:
     #1 -- CQ
     #2 -- The contest exchange
     #3 -- Thank You, QRZ? and My Call.
     #4 -- My Call

When "Running" -- I send message #1 to call CQ. When a station answers, I say his call into the mic then send message #2 for the exchange. After I receive his exchange, I send message #3 to complete the contact, and if I don't get an immediate response I send message #1 to resume calling CQ.

When doing Search-and-Pounce, when I hear a station I want to work, I send message #4 (My Call), and when he answers I sent message #2 (Contest Exchange) to complete the contact without ever saying a word into the mic.  Smiley

A rig's built-in recorder/player is fine for casual use but, quickly leaves a lot to be desired for contest use.

Contest logging programs use the computer's sound card to play WAV files. When running a frequency, it's VERY handy to send the station's callsign back to him/her (so he/she knows you're responding to him/her).  When using WriteLog, it will attempt to concatenate (splice together) sound files to build the other station's callsign.  Then, you just add the contest exchange. WL also can do a logic test on the other station's callsign.  If it's a dupe, WL can send your "Sorry OM, dupe!" message, or send the contest exchange if it's not a dupe. Some contest exchanges require sending an incremental serial number, which I don't believe a rig's internal voice keyer can do.  You'd still need to use the microphone. The above can be done in WL by programming just one of your PC's function keys.

With WL, I can nearly operate an entire fone contest w/o using the microphone. I used Audacity (free) to create/edit all the sound files.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »

Just a hint.

Dupes do not affect scoring. The time spent to say dupe is almost the same as reworking him. If one doesn't work the dupe and the dupe has your call wrong, you will penalized as not in his log.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »

A rig's built-in recorder/player is fine for casual use but, quickly leaves a lot to be desired for contest use.

Contest logging programs use the computer's sound card to play WAV files. When running a frequency, it's VERY handy to send the station's callsign back to him/her (so he/she knows you're responding to him/her).  When using WriteLog, it will attempt to concatenate (splice together) sound files to build the other station's callsign.  Then, you just add the contest exchange. WL also can do a logic test on the other station's callsign.  If it's a dupe, WL can send your "Sorry OM, dupe!" message, or send the contest exchange if it's not a dupe. Some contest exchanges require sending an incremental serial number, which I don't believe a rig's internal voice keyer can do.  You'd still need to use the microphone. The above can be done in WL by programming just one of your PC's function keys.

With WL, I can nearly operate an entire fone contest w/o using the microphone. I used Audacity (free) to create/edit all the sound files.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

The N1MM Contest Logger, which is what I use, has essentially the same capabilities.

The thing I don't like about basing the voice keyer function on WAV files is that you can't change the recorded messages "on the fly" as you can with an "internal" voice keyer (like the one in my '590) or  external devices (such as the MFJ-432 and 434 that I've also used).

Also, the result of creating callsigns and serial numbers by piecing together separate WAV files of the individual letters/numbers, or phonetics usually comes out sound exactly like that -- pieced together.

I find it easier/quicker/clearer to use the use the recordings for the repetitive part(s) of the exchange and speak into the mic for the part(s) that change -- like the worked station's callsign and serial number.

Mel - KS2G

WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »

The N1MM Contest Logger, which is what I use, has essentially the same capabilities.

The thing I don't like about basing the voice keyer function on WAV files is that you can't change the recorded messages "on the fly" as you can with an "internal" voice keyer (like the one in my '590) or  external devices (such as the MFJ-432 and 434 that I've also used).

Also, the result of creating callsigns and serial numbers by piecing together separate WAV files of the individual letters/numbers, or phonetics usually comes out sound exactly like that -- pieced together.

I find it easier/quicker/clearer to use the use the recordings for the repetitive part(s) of the exchange and speak into the mic for the part(s) that change -- like the worked station's callsign and serial number.

Mel - KS2G

I built the W2IHY DVK back in the 80s but have long-since tossed it onto the scrap pile and graduated to PC-based sound recording. Some time later, MFJ produced similar units.

It has worked fine for me for many years.  Key is in recording the files + processing them. I've received many compliments on how close to natural it sounds -- even though there are no points to be had for that.  Wink

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 09:06:25 PM »

The holy grail would be to have your shack run the contest for you while you're out for ice cream or whatever... sheesh.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

The holy grail would be to have your shack run the contest for you while you're out for ice cream or whatever... sheesh.

That would  be similar to watching a sporting event instead of participating, and would be not nearly as much fun. Sheesh.

vy 73 es gl,
Bryan WA7PRC

PS: Sarcasm noted.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »

Years ago I wrote a DOS program that automatically called CQ via an AMTOR TNC. If someone connected, it output a ringing sound from the PC speaker. If no answer after a couple of minutes it repeated the process. It was fun to let it run on 10M when the band appeared dead and I was busy around the shack. Several times I worked some good DX on the "dead" band.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: