Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Testing for Ham Apps Begins  (Read 3344 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »

Well I finally manned-up and bought a laptop with Win 8.1 so I can march bravely into the future. I mainly wanted to replace my slow and aging laptop, but I also want to investigate Win 8.1 and see how it works with some of the ham apps I'm using on my main PC.

After a painful afternoon leaning the new OS, I finally "got it" and now it's not really a problem after I realized what the underlying philosophy was. The first application I tried was Chirp and my UV-5R with the prolific cable. Nothing new or bad happened. Once you get the proper driver (and this is required even under Win 7) it worked just fine.

That's all for tonight but want to try Log4OM and HDSDR apps too. Should be interesting.  Cheesy
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 04:26:36 AM »

Well I finally manned-up and bought a laptop with Win 8.1 so I can march bravely into the future. I mainly wanted to replace my slow and aging laptop, but I also want to investigate Win 8.1 and see how it works with some of the ham apps I'm using on my main PC.
That's all for tonight but want to try Log4OM and HDSDR apps too. Should be interesting.  Cheesy

I'm running 8.1 on my desktop and have had no problems with any ham radio software: Log4OM, Fldigi, Ham Radio Deluxe v6, Flamp, Flwkey, SpectraVue, N1MM, MMSSTV, WSJT-X, JT-Alert, WSPR, MRP, VOAProp, and more all run just fine with no issues whatsoever.

In general, if it runs on Win 7, it will run on Win 8.1.  The only Windows 8 specific issue I've seen was one affecting early versions of HRD 6 and UK computers...that was fixed a long time ago. 

I've found that once you give Windows 8.1 a chance, and once you set it to boot to the desktop rather than the metro screen, it is just a slightly different Windows 7, but with better speed and performance.  They've removed a lot of the Aero interface and have really streamlined the code to make 8.1 much more responsive.  Also, considering that it has the latest security techniques baked right in, it is more secure too.   I've never understood the hate and discontent regarding Windows 8 (especially 8.1 since you can now boot to the desktop), and that comes from someone who has only one Windows machine in my house along with nearly a half-dozen Macs.  8.1 is a very good OS if you give it a chance. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 05:15:16 AM »

I'm running 8.1 on my desktop and have had no problems with any ham radio software: Log4OM, Fldigi, Ham Radio Deluxe v6, Flamp, Flwkey, SpectraVue, N1MM, MMSSTV, WSJT-X, JT-Alert, WSPR, MRP, VOAProp, and more all run just fine with no issues whatsoever.

That's good to know. I was pretty aggravated with Win 8.1 for one afternoon, until I realized what was going on with the start menu, but I bought it to force myself to get over the hump.

Perhaps they should have forced the consumer to view a very short video upon first power-on of the computer to illustrate the new menu, I dunno. The start menu is really now just a different screen, that's all. The other thing is there are two different "kinds" of programs - the "old" type and the new apps. The new apps are different looking than the programs we use now, because they are specifically designed for the Win 8 UI, and they can display active info while not open and sitting in the start menu. I'm already using the TV guide app rather than going to the TV guide website (This laptop is a multi-purpose Man-Cave device  Cool). Knowing what I know now, I could teach a new user how to get over the learning curve in a matter of 5 minutes.  Cheesy

The other thing that I didn't like was the gesture menus that kept popping up when I when too far to one side or the other of the mouse pad with my finger. One gesture from the right side kept popping up all the time right over what I was doing. When I found out how to turn that thing off, it was much better.

But yea, once you realize the start menu is simply a new screen, it's really not a big deal at all. I just got a fairly el-cheapo Dell laptop ($400) from Wal Mart with a dual core Intel i3 proc and 6 G memory, but it runs circles around the clunker I had before - a dual core chip that was running Vista.  Cheesy Man, it starts up so fast it's crazy.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:20:10 AM by N5INP » Logged
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »

I have been running Windows 8.1 for a good while now and it has run every program I've tried.  Not a problem at all with any logger or digital program.
N6SBN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 02:53:51 AM »

I think it helps to Run the installation as the administrator.    Right click on the install.  Select "run as administrator".   Otherwise, Win 8.1 is working pretty well on the Win 7 desktop.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 03:46:06 AM »

One thing to be wary of with Win8 is if you have a limited internet account, such as a 5GB per month ISP, the front screen of Win8 constantly updates from the internet. Lots of folks with these limited accounts have found themselves owing a huge bill at the end of the month for going over.

Info at http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=262466
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: