Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux  (Read 27107 times)
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2014, 06:58:32 AM »

I had changed the boot order in the CMOS settings and it would not boot from the CD/DVD drive.  It does have a recovery partition on it though, so now I'm wondering if that was the problem.  The 'boot from flash drive' worked for me...LL
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2014, 07:28:44 AM »

"resurection" of ssd!. last nite i reported a dead ssd in my linux unit. today after reconnecting it, it came to life . assume? the sata cable?
when i booted the cd or other hd, it came up fresh like day one with NOTHING i ever did or downloaded, no shortcuts,nothing. and,it looked ancient!like lin 10.10?, no mention of the 12.04 i was running? even the cd was supposed to be 12.04?
linux prior apparently saved nothing to the hd which had linux folders but none of my stuff.

lucky i got it back and copied by hand some folders to the hd from ssd,BUT i am told that i "do not own my machine"!!, that i do not have permission to back up to the hd??
i dont know enuf of linux, or backup in general , to do it right..

how to backup linux? from ssd to hd,big hd!
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »

i am told that i "do not own my machine"!!, that i do not have permission to back up to the hd??

You need to log in as root to copy some directories, such as /root, /usr, and /etc.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »

lucky i got it back and copied by hand some folders to the hd from ssd,BUT i am told that i "do not own my machine"!!, that i do not have permission to back up to the hd??

Whoever told you that is 100% wrong.  You own your Linux machine far more than you do a Windows or (especially) an Apple box.  There is no "phoning home to the mothership" or a requirement that you sign into iTunes to copy your own music to/from your phone, for example.

i dont know enuf of linux, or backup in general , to do it right..

Before taking the plunge, find an older PC -- something made within the last 5 years, with at least 2 Gb of RAM and a 160 Gb or larger hard drive -- install Ubuntu, Mint, or Fedora (the easiest ones for newcomers -- whichever one you use is your own personal preference) and just play around with it.  There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it's really quite logical how everything goes together.  Kinda like how it was when we first got our ham licenses. Grin

how to backup linux? from ssd to hd,big hd!

Things are different in Linux than in Windows.  One just cannot copy and/or move everything without permissions being properly set.  This is how Windows should be set up as well, but it isn't always.

One thing I always found useful is to keep a separate partition for /home (the user's own directories) and / (the root directory, essentially where the system stuff goes).  This is the equivalent to having your C: drive for the Windows system stuff and the program files, and a D: drive for your own personal directories and files (there are no drive letters in Linux). 

If your PC crashes, then you can still recover/back up your own files, then reinstall the Linux system if necessary (but don't reformat that /home drive when you do!  Shocked ).
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »

what i meant was,when i attempt to do ,copy something,LINUX tells me i cant!! not someone!
how do i log in to get control?

and i have been using linux for abt 2-3 yrs on this machine booting the 120 g ssd and it has a 1 tb hd just sitting in,mt! but for linux folders.

i just cliked backup. got permission denied

error creating directory
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:26:24 AM by W9WQA » Logged
N5EG

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »

$ sudo bash

will give you a bash shell with root privileges.
Be very, very careful.

-- Tom, N5EG

W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2014, 04:28:26 PM »

right now i want to ,need to stay out of danger,command line like stuff till i get back into that level.
this thing went back to dead this morn. it would boot cd and the empty screen,"old"look i mentioned.
i pulled the ssd and went to town. came back and plugged in the ssd and here i am, totally confused.

i haven't heard much about ssd and intermittents. dont like that word.

i really need to get the o sys on the hd and thumb drive.
i downloaded unebootin but cant open, do anything with it yet. dont know what it is.

i need to read more on it i guess.   i was spoiled by my flawless linux, till yesterday!!
VA3DUX

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »

CQRlog allows rig control, and of course incorporates a full logbook, dxcluster, and much more.  Flrig is a full rig control program and integrates smoothly with all of the Fl* suite to allow digital modes (Fldigi), WINKey CW (Flwkey), and more. 

If you're looking for a replacement for HRD (for example), then HAMlib provides the radio control interface, via either CQRlog or Fldigi.  CQRlog can handle all of the tasks (at least most of the tasks) of HRD's rig control AND HRD's logbook while Fldigi is a superior replacement for DM780 for the digital enthusiast. CQRlog can also auto-import Fldigi's log so that task is automated. 

And all of these programs (and MANY more) are available via one-click install on Ubuntu/Linux Mint and other platforms.

I'm not sure what you're looking forward in terms of "full Radio Control" programs, but I'd hardly say there are "none" as you stipulate.

Dave
K3DCW

Hi Full Radio Control program, is what it is, full control for your particular radio, I am not talking about logging programs,digital,PSK, and many other of which there are many, which no doubt run well on Linux.

Ham Radio deluxe,  ARCS II - TS-2000 control, TRX-Manager,  HAM Radio CAT Software, Ultra Radio, along with many
other dedicated to a particular rig.

David VA3DUX 
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2014, 02:32:38 AM »

just update, all is well again. linux is still the best machine i have!
i dont understand why it does sw updates routinely but im still on ubuntu 12.04, not 14.?
i realize im forgetting what i must have known when i started linux!
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 28, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »

I've used Linux in the past, but I doubt any of the ham radio programs I'm using now have Linux versions, so that pretty much kills it for me.  Undecided

Are there equivalents?

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »

There's a reason Linux has continued to lag Windows success in the desktop environment, just like Ford Explorers beat kit car sales hands down.

Universal appeal and useability is not problem.

There are a few reasons, but the main one is the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly.  Everybody wants what everyone else is using. Oh, well.  Take a look at markets where Microsoft does not hold monopoly power, such as cell phones and tablets. Android based phones lead in market share, while I believe Apple still leads in tablets.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 28, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »

MacOS is not unix and OS/X is a BSD variant.

My windows doesn't crash, but I have an iSCSI linux server that does.

Bloating has been in the Linux world for quite some time. That's the attraction Ubuntu had in the server world; you just install what you need.

You will find more QNX than Linux at NASA.

Android may be built on Linux, but the api and environment exposed is java front and centre.

'Just because' is never really a good reason.

Actually OS X is currently certified as Unix.

Installing only wanted/needed packages far pre-dates Ubuntu.

Rick KK4GGL
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 28, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »

Correct OSX is Unix as BSD is a Unix variant. All OS's crash at some point just Linux does it less than Windows. That being said my Netware 4.1 server has been up and running continuously for three years now.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 29, 2014, 08:30:20 PM »

Take a look at markets where Microsoft does not hold monopoly power, such as cell phones and tablets. Android based phones lead in market share, while I believe Apple still leads in tablets.

Microsoft is practically a non-entity in the mobile device world.  And tablets are taking over the consumer space, although laptops with large hard drives and lots of RAM are still required for more serious applications.  I wouldn't want to run an office suite on a tablet, at least not yet.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

Micro$oft's Surface is slick hardware crippled by it's os.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: