Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux  (Read 21693 times)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »

All the first netbooks were Linux based. Microsoft then developed a better "price" and the oems started shipping windows on them.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »

IIRC, Microsoft told the salespeople how to explain what the "disadvantages" of Linux were, vs. Windows.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »

When I had to reinstall Windows 7 on a laptop there were no wireless drivers, no touchpad, no video drivers, nothing, nada.  Just Windows 7

You are missing the point entirely. Windows will prompt you to search for drivers or for the driver disk or source.

But if the network card's driver is not already running and can connect to the internet, there is no search unless the driver is already on the CD/DVD.  I've had that happen to me on a few machines I attempted to install Windows on.

Ubuntu was silent. That's the point - Linux will never be mainstream of it's going to sit silent when somebody wants to install a device from a mainstream manufacturer. Oh, and sending them to a highly technical forum to hack and paste weird terminal strings ain't gonna make the cut with the average Joe.

Ubuntu is Ubuntu.  Try Mint.  It's a far better distribution for consumers than Ubuntu, and I've used both. 

And who, outside of stuck-in-the-'90s Slackware, Gentoo, or Linux From Scratch users, needs to edit text files to get things working?  Modern distros have GUI configuration tools that work just as well as Windows Control Panel.  Rarely is it necessary to edit anything unless you're writing your own software. 

BTW, it doesn't hurt to learn such things.  Anyone with a ham license should be smart enough to learn it.  It's a skill, just like operating CW.

Oh and by the way - Netgear doesn't even offer Linux drivers. If Linux has such a following why are no drivers provided by the manufacturer on their support site? Hmmm ...

Not officially maybe, but search around.  Or else, don't buy Netgear.

I'm done with this round of time-wasting. The laptop is going into the closet for a couple of years until Linux get's it's act together - if it ever does.

Linux has its act together.  There is little that a Linux machine can't do, and it's come a long way in the last 10 years.  But one must learn to use it properly, just like one has to learn how to use a Windows PC or a Mac properly to get the most out of it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »

Didn't Best Buy or somebody similar offer a machine with Linux a few years ago? I forget the details, but Microsoft did something to try and stop it. Anyone remember the details?

Best Buy sure did and so did MicroCenter.  I have one and it works great. Asus Eee PC 900 with Linux. It had a Xandros-based Linux operating system. I wanted something better so I installed "Easy Peasy" over the Xandros.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntu-eee/

By the way, it got 5 out of 5 stars in 45 reviews.

There were some allegations about Microsoft and these laptops (netbooks) but I won't repeat them here. It is pointless anyway.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:43:05 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows XP Pro.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »

Ubuntu is Ubuntu.  Try Mint.  It's a far better distribution for consumers than Ubuntu, and I've used both. 

OK I'll take you up on that. May not be until the weekend but I will burn an ISO and see what happens.

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2014, 04:10:09 PM »

Ubuntu is Ubuntu.  Try Mint.  It's a far better distribution for consumers than Ubuntu, and I've used both. ...
Linux has its act together.  There is little that a Linux machine can't do, and it's come a long way in the last 10 years.  But one must learn to use it properly, just like one has to learn how to use a Windows PC or a Mac properly to get the most out of it.

Well said.

I've never tried Mint, but I've heard nothing except good things about it.

Last time I upgraded Ubuntu from the previous LTS (long-term support, a stable version) to the current LTS version, I got the impression that Ubuntu is not the distro it was before. (Having said that, I did some things when I upgraded that they tell you never to do. :-) Until someone suggested that I ditch Unity, ditch the latest version of Gnome, and install the XFCE desktop (which turns Ubuntu into Xubuntu), I was ready to switch to another distro.
(The main problem was that I don't have enough RAM on this Xubuntu machine here in my shack.)

I couldn't be any happier now. This machine runs many weeks between reboots, and that's almost always because there's an automatic kernel security update. I'm keeping Xubuntu on this machine for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: A good friend of mine swears by Scientific Linux. I've never tried it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:17:27 PM by W0BTU » Logged

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »

But really, why can't it just at least acknowledge to the dear user that it knows you have inserted a device and it's confused about what to do and give you a link to the support forum? I just do not understand leaving the user to fend for themselves when a USB device is plugged in. My gosh it's the year 2014!

K4TFJ

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »

Linux is definitely not for the timid. However, I have recently installed Linux on two (2) machines, as of today. I am using Mint 16. First was a flawless install on the laptop. Which surprised me. I too have tried Linux in the past and been very disappointed with the wifi support. IT WORKED OUT OF THE BOX! Next I installed it on my desktop. AGAIN WORKING OUT OF THE BOX. Now I haven't really done a lot with it yet, but compared to several years ago, its much better!

There are still many things that are glossed over or assumed when installing or using Linux.
Biggest complaint... I wanted to dual-boot and it is not OBVIOUS what to do to make that happen. I figured it out, because I did it years ago. But still not new user friendly....
Secondly I wanted a static IP, again.. thru GOOGLE I figured it out. But still not new user friendly....
Last but not least (coming from Windows), it is a little frustrating to find multiple ways of installing/building/compiling software and then have no clue where it got installed to!
I swear I have one program that I installed, I can run it from the command line, but I can't find the configuration files to anywhere!!!

It's a learning curve, but I would rather do this than continue to spend money on operating systems and software that are over-bloated and expensive.

Now I am going to learn/re-learn some programming and try to contribute more ham related software to the Linux community.

Anyone can complain and stick with what they got.... or you can dive in and help make it better. That's where I am headed.

73, K4TFJ
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:36:01 PM by K4TFJ » Logged
KE6TDP

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »

OK I'll take you up on that. May not be until the weekend but I will burn an ISO and see what happens.
Ubuntu should be issuing its next upgrade (14.04) in mid April, so you may want to postpone any installation till then.  I believe that Mint releases its upgrade about a month after Ubuntu. "Linux Mint 17 will be named “Qiana” and should be available at the end of May 2014."

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr Final Beta Available For Download [Video, Screenshots]

I swear I have one program that I installed, I can run it from the command line, but I can't find the configuration files to anywhere!!!
I've had the same issue at times. Grin
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 08:26:34 PM »

But really, why can't it just at least acknowledge to the dear user that it knows you have inserted a device and it's confused about what to do and give you a link to the support forum? I just do not understand leaving the user to fend for themselves when a USB device is plugged in. My gosh it's the year 2014!

The major distros will automount a USB drive.  For security reasons, it's really not a good idea, although for the general public it's not an issue.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »

The major distros will automount a USB drive.  For security reasons, it's really not a good idea, although for the general public it's not an issue.

Yep, and I inserted my USB drive and it mounted it. But that just goes to show you it can recognize that something got plugged in. When I looked at several solutions, one said to type "lsusb" in a terminal window and see what devices showed up. I did that and it clearly showed a wireless device was able to be seen in the list.

That just begs the question again - why not DO something for the user at that point! Point them to some solution - don't just leave them sitting there! There's just no excuse for that non-action.

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 04:26:24 AM »

Your wireless dongle probably suffers from other wireless card issues : 3rd party firmware not included. My liksys cards had the same issue. I had to go to another site and select 'yes' to a ula get get the firmware, and now it works. It took a while to find out that one.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
K0EKL

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 06:46:28 AM »

My results have been 100%, two for two, with Lubuntu LXLE (Lubuntu eXtra Life Edition), a Ubuntu distro meant for older PCs.

I burned the .ISO to a CD and installed it on the hard drive of a 10 year old HP laptop with a Centrino Duo CPU. It found and installed every driver without any intervention from me. Ethernet and WiFi, video, even the bluetooth drivers.

Later I installed it on a 5 year old Dell micro PC with an Atom processor and had zero problems.

Here's a link:

http://lxle.net/

or

www.lxle.net

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 07:32:52 AM »

Your wireless dongle probably suffers from other wireless card issues : 3rd party firmware not included...

Again - people are missing the point. The machine clearly sees that a USB device was plugged in. Even if it doesn't have the drivers, it should give you options right then and there to help you. It should not just sit there and act like nothing has happened. Many people are not going to bother with going to a support site and looking at hacks - they will just give up.

Until Linux makes it more user-friendly it will never be a leader.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »

Question, would the before mentioned "LXLE" down load be comapatble with latest version of Linux Mint?"
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: