Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux  (Read 26993 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:10 AM »

Question, would the before mentioned "LXLE" down load be comapatble with latest version of Linux Mint?"

LXLE and Linux Mint are two different Linux distributions.  You would use one or the other.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:58 AM »

I would encourage Linux evangelists to spend some time making Linux attractive to general PC users.

You mean like Amazon,  Android, and Mac OS which all have a UNIX and/or LINUX lineage?

NASA's using the LINUX kernel in some space probes.  Maybe the bloated MS crashing deal isn't so attractive to them.

VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2014, 09:52:19 AM »

MacOS is not unix and OS/X is a BSD variant.

My windows doesn't crash, but I have an iSCSI linux server that does.

Bloating has been in the Linux world for quite some time. That's the attraction Ubuntu had in the server world; you just install what you need.

You will find more QNX than Linux at NASA.

Android may be built on Linux, but the api and environment exposed is java front and centre.

'Just because' is never really a good reason.

7 3 Peter VA2PBJ
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

MacOS is not unix and OS/X is a BSD variant.

Mac OSX is a flavor of Unix. It's derived from BSD, among other things and actually a certified version of Unix, according to The Open Group which certifies these things. HPUX, AIX, Linux, Solaris, and OSX all fall into the same category as OSX.

K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »

Mac OSX is a flavor of Unix. It's derived from BSD, among other things and actually a certified version of Unix, according to The Open Group which certifies these things. HPUX, AIX, Linux, Solaris, and OSX all fall into the same category as OSX.

Yes, it most certainly is.  And, I don't get the "bloating" equation that PBJ makes wrt LINUX and MS.  Yes, there have been outcries in the open source/LINUX world about continually adding to the kernel, but to even equate what's been done with the bloated mess that's MS is ridiculous.  I think he's confusing the different distro shells with the kernel itself, evidenced by his server comment, to which I personally agree.  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 12:32:39 PM by K9MHZ » Logged
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:34 PM »

I haven't messed with Linux since the mid/late 1990s. With the orphaning of XP I looked around and decided to try  Linux-Mint-Mate so I made the DVD just following the user manual. The only thing that differed was when I ran the MD5SUM against the image, all I got was gibberish.

Changed the boot order to put DVD fitst, popped it in and up it came. Painless.

Played around a while, I think I'm going to like it.

The reason I don't want to go to Win7 is cost. There's three desktops, one laptop and two netbooks, all running XP at present, plus shack PC running Vista.

A dumb question: I have an external HD with lots of .doc jpg etc files on it, will Linux Mint read them OK as is ?
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

A dumb question: I have an external HD with lots of .doc jpg etc files on it, will Linux Mint read them OK as is ?

LibreOffice should work just fine with most MSWord .doc files, unless custom outline formatting and Word Pictures are involved.  Word Pictures won't translate at all, and outline formatting may or may not work, depending on the complexity of the formatting.

Graphics files (.bmp, .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.) are no problem whatsoever. 

I've been using Linux Mint, aka "Ubuntu without the corporate, Microsoft/Apple/Red Hat-wannabe BS" and "Debian without the political correctness - er, I mean GNU Political Correctness," for several years and have had few issues.  The Mate edition is fantastic.
VA3DUX

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »

Linux is free, but its to esoteric for many hams, including me.
Yes it has many secondary programs that work well.The big problem has been and still is, there are no (full Radio control) programs,None.
I have tried Linux for over thirty years, many flavours, still ending up with the same problem, No full rig control software.
Some say Use Wine as a emulator, along with others, Why do this, just use with Windows, these emulator programs do not work all the time IF at all.
When and If I can run these top Ham Rig control programs on Linux without emulators, I will be the first to change over.
All The Best 73 David
VA3DUX
KE6TDP

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »

With the death of Windows XP, now is the perfect time to switch to Linux

A good article.  Linux works well with most everyday applications. Esoteric uses, such as amateur radio, it is still a bit 'short".
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »

Yes it has many secondary programs that work well.The big problem has been and still is, there are no (full Radio control) programs,None.
I have tried Linux for over thirty years, many flavours, still ending up with the same problem, No full rig control software.
Some say Use Wine as a emulator, along with others, Why do this, just use with Windows, these emulator programs do not work all the time IF at all.
When and If I can run these top Ham Rig control programs on Linux without emulators, I will be the first to change over.
All The Best 73 David
VA3DUX

CQRlog allows rig control, and of course incorporates a full logbook, dxcluster, and much more.  Flrig is a full rig control program and integrates smoothly with all of the Fl* suite to allow digital modes (Fldigi), WINKey CW (Flwkey), and more. 

If you're looking for a replacement for HRD (for example), then HAMlib provides the radio control interface, via either CQRlog or Fldigi.  CQRlog can handle all of the tasks (at least most of the tasks) of HRD's rig control AND HRD's logbook while Fldigi is a superior replacement for DM780 for the digital enthusiast. CQRlog can also auto-import Fldigi's log so that task is automated. 

And all of these programs (and MANY more) are available via one-click install on Ubuntu/Linux Mint and other platforms.

I'm not sure what you're looking forward in terms of "full Radio Control" programs, but I'd hardly say there are "none" as you stipulate.

Dave
K3DCW

Dave

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »

Best thread on eHam for a long time. Thank you all who have contributed. I too run Mac OSX for all home stuff, stuck with Windows 7 at work, and use some older machines with XP for radio. (Someday when I need a new Mac might retire that to radio use but heck 7yrs and no issues why buy a new one!) I love HRD but am open to trying other things.

So I am looking at Linux for my XP boxes. Does it matter what build you get to run a program? You have mentioned several in this thread but I am unclear if I need to install Ubuntu and only look for Ubuntu FLDigi for example. Or can I get FLDigi and just run it on any build?

Separately, anyone know anything about this build? Found it googling.... http://shackbox.net ... Appears to be a ham centric build.

Thanks!
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »

So I am looking at Linux for my XP boxes. Does it matter what build you get to run a program? You have mentioned several in this thread but I am unclear if I need to install Ubuntu and only look for Ubuntu FLDigi for example. Or can I get FLDigi and just run it on any build?

With any Debian-based distro (including Ubuntu & Mint), all you have to do is type "sudo apt-get install fldigi" then press Enter.  You will be asked for your password, since sudo means you're acting as "root," or the administrator.  The package manager will install FLDIGI and all its dependencies (Fast Light toolkit libraries).   I don't know if Red Hat-based distros, such as Fedora and PCLinuxOS, include it.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:47 AM »

Best thread on eHam for a long time. Thank you all who have contributed. I too run Mac OSX for all home stuff, stuck with Windows 7 at work, and use some older machines with XP for radio. (Someday when I need a new Mac might retire that to radio use but heck 7yrs and no issues why buy a new one!) I love HRD but am open to trying other things.

Separately, anyone know anything about this build? Found it googling.... http://shackbox.net ... Appears to be a ham centric build.

Thanks!

According to the FAQ it is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu's software store is about as easy to use as Apple's App Store, and is a graphical version of apt, the command line utility WW7KE referenced. There's also a more traditional software acquisition program called the synaptic package manager, which will allow you to add different "repositories" and even personal archives (PPA's). Over time you'll likely use synaptic for browsing and apt-get for specific programs.

In other words, it's really not all that hard to install most software on Linux, at least until you start messing around with overnight builds and other bleeding edge stuff...
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 07:13:19 AM »

Thanks. Didn't know if anyone had used the software before.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »

I downloaded shackbox and tried running it in a virtual machine. It had some errors and I didn't want to troubleshoot them. I run Linux VM's on my work laptop, and have been for years as the customer I support runs a lot of Linux and I need test machines. I am considering using Linux for my radio laptop as it's old and doesn't run Win 7 real well.  I would stick with a main stream distribution like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian etc. Then add the radio programs needed like car log and fldigi. They are available via the main stream repositories and are easy to install.  If I do this, I am going with Linux Mint as I don't care for the new Ubuntu interface and it's easier to just install Mint.

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: