Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux  (Read 29662 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2014, 07:02:24 AM »

All the talk about how Windows needs continual upgrades and is inherently unstable compared to Linux is hogwash.  I downloaded Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon a few days ago, went through the 'package checking' to be sure the download wasn't corrupted, and burned a DVD with it--also checked for errors with none found.

I ran the DVD on my main machine and Mint with Cinnamon worked beautifully--as I stated in another thread here--but when I actually installed it on a spare machine that Win 7 works well on then running it, the Cinnamon desktop crashes as soon as it starts--every time!

Come to find out that the 'major revision' of Cinnamon is flawed, and there is a work around that is published on the web. 

So, please, no more talk about how Linux is superior in every way to Windows because from that experience (that many people have had) it simply isn't.  It may well be better in some respects, but it shares the same generalized problems that Windows has--it is written and put together by human beings, and human beings aren't perfect to begin with! 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »

To be fair about it, I downloaded and installed Linux Mint 16 with the Mate desktop, and it appears to run fine.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

To be fair about it, I downloaded and installed Linux Mint 16 with the Mate desktop, and it appears to run fine.

I use it myself.  I've never tried the Cinnamon version, but I have heard some horror stories about it.

And all operating systems need to be updated.  With Linux, updates will range from once a month to several per week.  But most are updates to apps, not the OS itself. 

And rarely does one have to reboot after an update -- almost always after a kernel update, but that's normally about it, and they're rather rare.  Mint's Update Manager and Slackware's 3rd-party Slapt-Get utility do not update the kernel by default, but most of the others do.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »

As it does on my laptop and dual booted with XP on my Asus Netbook.

Just wish there was an N1MM Contest Logger equivalent on Linux Grin

K4TFJ

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:34 PM »

N5PG: I have heard others are using and I also briefly tried N1MM under Wine... it appeared to work, but I did not test it extensively.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

I have been running Mint with the KDE, mate and cinnamon desktops for a couple of years now. I can choose my desktop at startup and all run fine. I am a Linux user from way back and have been in IT for 30 years, no more Windows for me ever. My wife uses Linux, my sons PC has Linux and there is nothing they can't do. My wife teaches Microsoft apps at our local community collage and Office 2010 runs just fine under Wine.

Good bye M$ never to grace my door step again.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »

I have been running Mint with the KDE, mate and cinnamon desktops for a couple of years now. I can choose my desktop at startup and all run fine....

The problem with the Cinnamon desktop started with the last major revision, I believe Cinnamon 2.

...I am a Linux user from way back and have been in IT for 30 years, no more Windows for me ever....

Agree with you.  At $100 a pop for the stripped down version--upgrade type to boot--Windows was too expensive.  Even the newer version (Cool is priced high even though its cheaper.  Linux, on the other hand costs zip--AND you get programs included with it for most of the common needs.  With WINE or any good windows emulator, you can run windows programs--and that's good enough for me.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 08:42:53 AM »

There are a number of ham radio and Linux resources

KB1OIQ - Andy's Ham Radio Linux
Ubuntu Linux remastered for Amateur Radio users
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kb1oiq-andysham/

Ham radio programs for linux platform
(Featuring 107 resources)
http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Software/Linux/

Amateur Radio Guide
A guide for users of Fedora amateur radio software
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Amateur_Radio_Guide/index.html

Linux In The Ham Shack Podcast!
http://lhspodcast.info/about/
http://lhspodcast.info/category/podcast-mp3/feed/

KF8GR Linux Ham Software Links
http://www.qsl.net/kf8gr/

Hamux - Ham Radio Packages for CentOS Linux
http://distro.ibiblio.org/hamux/

Distrowatch Top 100 Linux Distributions and lists newest releases
http://distrowatch.com/

Type  "ham radio linux" in the search box at Youtube

thanxs for the linxs,,links!!!

and;

"    
RE: Consider Linux
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote
I am using Linux in this right moment. There are lots of good reasons for using Linux: it doesn't hang, you have much more control over the processes you are using, it's elegant, logical, fast, consumes much less RAM and CPU and so on and so forth. The last and not the least its updates are much faster, it updates all the software installed and not just the OS, and the reboot is only required when the Kernel is updated.
I am using the Ubuntu "

Bye bye Windows Grin

i copied what applied to me especially by by windows. my linux lets me be an appliance op so i can focus on other stuff.
i just got tired of trying to be a master of computers. i had my fun years ago when it was a hobby thing,interfacing,programming.

i like how linux takes care of itself in a short time without telling me what to do / "do not turn off your comp"!! win updates take hours. why couldnt it do.  it while im sleeping! my w7 machine did updates without the net connection??
just for fun?!!

btw i still have an xp machine that wont boot a linux bootable cd. i set the cd as boot 1. it ignores it. again im not a nerd!!

i want to switch to linux on it soon soon but want the cd boot now.  i have a linux only unit using a 120 ssd, works great.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:57:25 AM by W9WQA » Logged
N1UKX

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2014, 04:12:11 AM »

btw i still have an xp machine that wont boot a linux bootable cd. i set the cd as boot 1. it ignores it. again im not a nerd!!

i want to switch to linux on it soon soon but want the cd boot now.  i have a linux only unit using a 120 ssd, works great.

I had the "wont boot a linux bootable cd" problem myself with my older Lenovo laptop.  I solved it by using a bootable flash drive with Linux Mint on it...LL
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2014, 06:18:46 AM »

Regarding the 'won't boot from CD' issue, some of the computers out there with recovery partitions on the hard drive instead of CDs/DVDs with the OS and associated software on them simply won't boot from the CD/DVD drive unless there are no boot files on the hard drive at all.  Dell for one is famous for that since they stopped shipping disks with their new computers.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2014, 10:45:09 PM »

last posts good to know. i got away from here  and just found my way back. my ssd died on my linux unit and the hd in that unit has all the folders, it and my boot cd start out looking ancient, an old linux.
i posted details in the other forum but here i will also ask for help. i lost all files i had created because i "assumed" it was taken care of by the system since it worked so flawlessly. i dont really remember how the stuff got on the hd but it boots and looks old, not like 12.4 or 12.04 what ever i had!
hey, i got lazy,it worked so well i just used it and paid no attention. now im stuck and miss it,,,help, i truly am out of touch.

looking for step by step advice.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »

Regarding the 'won't boot from CD' issue, some of the computers out there with recovery partitions on the hard drive instead of CDs/DVDs with the OS and associated software on them simply won't boot from the CD/DVD drive unless there are no boot files on the hard drive at all.  Dell for one is famous for that since they stopped shipping disks with their new computers.

I just installed Scientific Linux on such a Dell machine (a Dell model 15 laptop, IIRC). I resized the bootable Windows Vista partition (making a total of 4 partitions instead of 3). The trick was to go into the CMOS setup and change the boot order (there were two such settings), so it booted from the DVD drive first.

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:56 AM »

I would encourage Linux evangelists to spend some time making Linux attractive to general PC users.
That's the "rub". Instead of developing MS Windows based software, develop Linux based software. An unfortunate aspect with Linux development has been that MS Windows is pretty much universal, everyone has it.  Hopefully, the Linux market share will grow.

PS: Synaptic Package Manager has an "Amateur Radio" category. 
Minor disagreement here -
instead of developing for a specific platform, I would encourage ham software developers to work on developing more cross platform applications.

It is a bit more work upfront, but you open your user base to Windows, Linux & Macs. This way it makes it easier for your endusers to continue using your product if they decide to switch at sometime in the future.

KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2014, 05:13:09 AM »

I would encourage Linux evangelists to spend some time making Linux attractive to general PC users.
That's the "rub". Instead of developing MS Windows based software, develop Linux based software. An unfortunate aspect with Linux development has been that MS Windows is pretty much universal, everyone has it.  Hopefully, the Linux market share will grow.

PS: Synaptic Package Manager has an "Amateur Radio" category. 
Minor disagreement here -
instead of developing for a specific platform, I would encourage ham software developers to work on developing more cross platform applications.

It is a bit more work upfront, but you open your user base to Windows, Linux & Macs. This way it makes it easier for your endusers to continue using your product if they decide to switch at sometime in the future.

fldigi is "like that" now.  I was using fldigi on the Mac Pro I had when I was married, and had my macros and buttons (config) saved and backed up.  When I installed fldigi on my Win 7 machine, importing the settings was a breeze.  Sure, it's not quite the same thing, but it's as close as it gets (IMO)...for now.

KB2HSH
Springbrook, NY
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2014, 06:50:28 AM »

Regarding the 'won't boot from CD' issue, some of the computers out there with recovery partitions on the hard drive instead of CDs/DVDs with the OS and associated software on them simply won't boot from the CD/DVD drive unless there are no boot files on the hard drive at all.  Dell for one is famous for that since they stopped shipping disks with their new computers.

I just installed Scientific Linux on such a Dell machine (a Dell model 15 laptop, IIRC). I resized the bootable Windows Vista partition (making a total of 4 partitions instead of 3). The trick was to go into the CMOS setup and change the boot order (there were two such settings), so it booted from the DVD drive first.

In my experiences--sometimes even when that is done--the machine won't boot from the CD drive.  Could be that the timing was off, as in the CD drive was a replacement that didn't access as fast as the original did.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: