Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Worked All Continents  (Read 8358 times)
G7DIE

Ignore
« on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »

A friend of mine, a mad keen mobiler and contester, set the challenge by doing it himself recently, spurred on by his achievements I decided to see what I could do myself.

Mobile WAC in one day? Done!

I managed to worked the following areas and land masses that make up the continents:

Europe
Africa
Asia
North America
South America
Australia
Antarctica
Arctic Circle

And a few Islands in those areas too, bringing my mobile DXCC up to 69 for the month so far, and I haven't had a real crack at the EU yet, focusing more on the rarer parts of the EU, I'll save the rest for 6m Es Wink

For those that got a chance, and whilst the bands may not have been on fire yesterday, they were open to all parts of the globe at some time or another.

The Scorpion SA680 has been worth the weight (sic), and investment, so far Wink
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »

Kudos to you for doing so well with mobile DX!  Now if you want to cheat, go get a trailer to tow behind your vehicle and set up some big antenna on it...LOL! 

I have a friend who has an ICOM marine-use HF rig open to all frequencies with the massive accessory antenna tuner, a setup that runs around $3K, plus the typical screwdriver antenna.  The radio puts out 200 or 250 DC watts.  He can do his 80m net check-ins from any parking lot.  That's the best mobile HF setup I have seen so far.

So what is your setup like?  Inquiring minds wanna know :-)

Rick

G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »

Hi Rick, thanks for the comments.

The system is simple, Icom IC7000 at 100W and a Scorpion SA680 antenna mounted high on the tailgate of the car, I also have a 1/4WL whip on the roof of the car for 6m. The secret is knowing what time of day to go out mobile in order to work the different parts of the globe, Antarctica was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks to a good 6m Es opening last night my DXCC for the month now stands at 80, with Morroco ODX at approximately 1,300 miles, the goal is 100 DXCC for May Wink
WA7SGS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:27 PM »

Wow!   ...and more kudos too for doing the "wait until propagation conditions are right" deal to maximize your chances of getting the DX going.  Might as well see if they stocked the pond before going fishing you know...LOL!  Isn't it fun to try for something and then get a real surprise like the Antipodal Continent turning up?  I just love those moments.

Rick

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »

So were these random QSO's, a contest or did  you hunt for these continents specifically?

I like working contests mobile because you can snag a lot of countries in a short time but I don't think I've gotten WAC togehter in all the years I've worked HF mobile.  Sounds like I have a new challenge.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 12:58:37 AM »

Hi Mark,

Not a contest day, it was Monday morning after my last nightshift that I started. I'd worked some good DX early doors, VK long path, a few countries in South America short path, I'd also managed East, West and Midwest US, but the big surprise was when I heard Antarctica with only a small pile up, so first call and done Wink

It wasn't until later in the day that I wondered whether I could work the others. I knew Asia wouldn't be a problem as I regularly hear and work Indonesia due to there being a couple of regular big guns from the region, and there's usually a good regular opening to South Africa too. When I headed out later that day, and to my surprise, there wasn't just indonesia booming in, both 17 and 20m were wide open to Japan short path, so I bagged a couple of JA's and added Thailand along the way. However Africa was proving to be the quiet continent for me, I'd heard nothing by evening time and had contemplated admiting defeat, then I heard a chap from the Canaries and added Africa to the list, however I wasn't happy just working an island off the coast of Africa, it had to be the mainland. A little while later prop was good to Southern Spain so I figured North Africa wouldn't be too far behind, and sure enough Algeria provided the goods. I'd worked everywhere I had set out to do, mobile WAC in a day, plus the addition of Antarctica that my friend hadn't worked when he did it Wink

My total mobile DXCC stands around 229 (I have to check my log for errors) with new ones becoming hard to find, anything rare and I have the rest of Europe to compete with, that said, I have developed a style of operation that gets me heard in a pile up, I also limit myself to a 5 minute window (10 minutes for very rare) where I move on if I haven't worked that particular station after 5 minutes. It's a wood for the trees style of operation. I speak to people who will spend hours trying to work a rare one, however my time is limited when I'm mobile, concentrating all my time and effort to work just one station would be an exercise in futility, whilst they're going daft trying to work the rare one, I've picked off loads of DX and headed home happy, the rare one will be there another day, and even of he isn't, who cares Shocked
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »

Quote from:  link=topic=96816.msg757994#msg757994 date=1400313517
Not a contest day, it was Monday morning after my last nightshift that I started. I'd worked some good DX early doors, VK long path, a few countries in South America short path, I'd also managed East, West and Midwest US, but the big surprise was when I heard Antarctica with only a small pile up, so first call and done Wink

It wasn't until later in the day that I wondered whether I could work the others. I knew Asia wouldn't be a problem as I regularly hear and work Indonesia due to there being a couple of regular big guns from the region, and there's usually a good regular opening to South Africa too. When I headed out later that day, and to my surprise, there wasn't just indonesia booming in, both 17 and 20m were wide open to Japan short path, so I bagged a couple of JA's and added Thailand along the way. However Africa was proving to be the quiet continent for me, I'd heard nothing by evening time and had contemplated admiting defeat, then I heard a chap from the Canaries and added Africa to the list, however I wasn't happy just working an island off the coast of Africa, it had to be the mainland. A little while later prop was good to Southern Spain so I figured North Africa wouldn't be too far behind, and sure enough Algeria provided the goods. I'd worked everywhere I had set out to do, mobile WAC in a day, plus the addition of Antarctica that my friend hadn't worked when he did it Wink

It's not easy being you is it? HI HI! Hope you went down and played the lottery after that day of fun! Congratulations!
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »

It's not easy being you is it? HI HI! Hope you went down and played the lottery after that day of fun! Congratulations!

No, but maybe I should have done, conditions have been nowhere near as good recently Sad
N8LTD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:01 PM »

Cool Grin
RV6LNA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »

Good job.  I've worked all continents mobile in one week last year on 20m from Dubai, UAE.
Being using Codan NGT transceiver and Stealth 9310 antenna. Worked US via south pole LP.

73!
Alexander,
A65BP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: