Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why DX Conventions are Important  (Read 1059 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:24:26 AM »

The Visalia DX Convention has become the #1 DX-ing event of the year for me. The reason? The people. Its a blast to meet other DX-ers in person, and share "fishing stories", have a beer, and just have fun. I've found that the people who go to these have a good sense of humor, and are very interesting.

When I then see the same people on the air, posting on the cluster or in forums, because I have met these people in person - the "virtual" space seems a little more human.

There are many DX conventions around the country, and I hope to visit at least one more than Visalia. With that said - Visalia is only 2 weeks away, and there are several people I will meet for the first time in person after many emails, Skype and phone calls.

Are you going to a DX convention this year?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:45:02 AM by KY6R » Logged
K7CO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:49 AM »

I am excited to go to Visalia. I look forward to meeting many new folks and seeing ones that I have met before.

Normally I go to the golf tournament but this year I wont be able to. I did make a hole in one last year.  Seven Iron,  137 yards straight into the hole! I will never forget it

I hope to meet up with you Rich.

I also hope to talk to some manufacturers about some things I will be doing in the future and things I could have done better in the past.

Besides Dayton and Visalia and Friedrichshafen in Germany, what are the biggest DX oriented conventions?

Jon
K7CO

N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:48:23 AM »

I'm going to Visalia, Rich, I'm looking forward to seeing you again, I'm also looking forward to seeing John-K7KB, and meeting Jonathan-W6GX and Jon-K7CO for the first time.

It's a great event in the middle of nowhere so the focus is on friends, radio, DX and stories, some of which are really true!
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 07:16:24 AM »

I'm going to Visalia, Rich, I'm looking forward to seeing you again, I'm also looking forward to seeing John-K7KB, and meeting Jonathan-W6GX and Jon-K7CO for the first time.

It's a great event in the middle of nowhere so the focus is on friends, radio, DX and stories, some of which are really true!

Paul: Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make Visalia this year  Cry But it was fun to meet you, Rich, and a bunch of the other guys last year. And I agree, Visalia is a blast, and I consider it a "Must Do" for any DX'er. You learn so much from the seminars and just talking with the other people at the convention. But have fun guys, and rest assured, I plan on being there next year Smiley

John K7KB
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »

Do most of the attendees go every year (or frequently) or is it a one-time deal for most?

John AE5X
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »

Looking forward to meeting all of you - and seeing those again who I have met before.

John - many people go every year, I would say most attendees go every year to Visalia. I've only been about 5 times in the last 12 years, but starting last year I started feeling like it will start being an every year trip for me. Its only a 3 1/2 hour drive from my QTH, so its a nice weekend away.
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »

Besides Dayton and Visalia and Friedrichshafen in Germany, what are the biggest DX oriented conventions?

W9DXCC in Chicago - loud and proud since 1953!
SEDCO in Tennessee - since 2005 (the newcomer!)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »

I will be at ARRL centennial in CT.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:16:04 AM »

I'm looking forward to Visalia this year and meeting all those attending.  This will be my first trip to Visalia.  Last year I attended Hamcon and I had a blast.  I met several famous DX'ers and dxpeditioners.  One of these days I also plan to attend Dayton.

ps I'm surprised no one mentioned about door prizes.  At the SDR forum at Hamcon they raffled off a new SDR radio.

Jonathan W6GX
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

W9DXCC in Chicago - loud and proud since 1953!
SEDCO in Tennessee - since 2005 (the newcomer!)

We don't have a dedicated DX convention locally but there's been a big DX program for twenty-five years or so at Ham Com in Plano, TX.

It's the work of The Lone Star DX Association and we have a dinner on the Friday night followed by four or five hours of programs on the Saturday.  http://www.lsdxa.org/

The newly formed DFW Contest Group has revived the contesting forum too. http://www.dfwcontest.com/

I don't have full details of this year's offering yet but the dates are June 13/14, the DX Dinner speaker is to be Bob K4UEE on FT5ZM Grin  http://hamcom.org/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: