Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TH-78A BT-8 Battery Case  (Read 738 times)
KB0LPM

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:12 AM »

I was hoping to use rechargeable NiMh batteries in the BT-8 case I have for my old Kenwood TH-78A HT. The problem I encountered is that the NiMh batteries are a very tight fit in the battery case and it will not slide into the radio. I can insert the case with regular nonchargeable batteries but not the NiMh. I also see a notice on the case to not use NiCad batteries - I "assume" this is because they don't want you trying to recharge with the pack in the radio. Obviously the rechargeable batteries are a wee bit larger.

So my question is has anyone else experienced this problem? And if so how did you resolve or fix it. The BT-8 case is OEM equipment that came with the radio when new - it hasn't had much if any use. I hate to buy a new case if it probably won't work either.

I would rather use rechargeable batteries that can be used in multiple devices than to buy a new battery pack.

Thanks
Don = KB0LPM
Cape Coral, FL
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »

Yes - some AA batteries exhibit this - best to contact your distributor/vendor to obtain exact measurements before purchasing. I have not had any such problems with AA cells purchase from Maha (currently (pun intended) 2700mAH available). I am sure that excellelt vendors like Batteries America and Thomas Distributing will also have on their Web sites the exact measurements of the cells - if not, a phone call should be able to determine the dimensions.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KB0LPM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 11:29:55 AM »

Thanks Clint - Today I tried some Radio Shack batteries as well as Energizers. I'll have a batch of Eneloop batteries tomorrow - they may be better.
Don
KB0LPM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: