Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baofang battery eliminator  (Read 2792 times)
AB1PJ

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »

I have a Baofang UV-5R that has a LiIon battery and a base charger that works off of a DC (12V cigg lighter) as well as AC
I plan to take the Baofang UV-5R on my motorcycle travel this summer so i don't want to take the charging base.
I would be operating simplex with this radio to my fellow motorcycle riders
The radio will be connected to my helmet audio and left hand PTT

The issue is the battery as it won't last a day long while transmitting often.

So i was looking at various battery eliminators thalt looks like a battery but is essentially a collection
of transistors inside and has a 12V cigg lighter outlet to connect to.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DXYANN4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WU5SJ4GXQF9X

Does anyone has any experience with this?

Do they cut out during Tx?
How hot do they get?

I am looking for actual experiences, not speculations.

jim
AB1PJ
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »

I use one of those eliminators. They work well for replacing the battery. Now just a rough calculation: 5 W out at 10 W in. 13 V down to 7.4 V makes a drop of 5.6 V. The eliminator will have to dissipate about 4.3 W. Does not look like much but can be a problem when ragchewing. On the other side your radio is also heating up and according to the manual should not be used for extensive transmitting. I don't remember the time limitations from the manual. May be around three or so minutes.
KK4YTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »

Not familiar with that radio but most handhelds have one or two lower powers that can be used to extend battery time. If your all in a group, I would think your lowest power would work fine for short range comms.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:37:45 AM »

I would shy away from third party 'eliminators' that may or may not work right.  Or may even inadvertently damage a radio they're connected to!

The funniest part of this whole thing is that once you've bought all the extras to make that 'bargain' that you buy work to your liking, you've probably spent more than what you would have spent getting a quality HT that already includes most of those extras in the first place!
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:10 AM »

The funniest part of this whole thing is that once you've bought all the extras to make that 'bargain' that you buy work to your liking, you've probably spent more than what you would have spent getting a quality HT that already includes most of those extras in the first place!

Evidence? Total up the items you think would do that and give us a report.
WA8MXJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »

I use one of the battery eliminators on a Baofeng I currently use as a mobile-only rig.  Granted, the duty cycle is pretty low, but haven't had any issues with it at all.  It will get warm if I talk for a few minutes, listen for 30-45 seconds, then talk for another couple minutes but it has not gotten 'hot'.  If you are going to be talking non-stop for a while, any HT is not going to be the way to go.  But, for casual chit chatting during a ride it should be good to go.

With a $35 radio and a $10 power cord it still comes in way under what any other rig would be.
WB4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »

I just received the Amazon unit.  It is cheap, but probably worth the $8.  I am using my Baofeng as a mobile APRS unit and wanted the radio to turn on/off with my vehicle's ignition.

WB4IT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: