Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling  (Read 3560 times)
KB1VIK

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »

I do a lot of traveling for my job ~ traffic control
And I had an idea
Does this technology exist already??
Or would it be possible for a radio to
switch to the nearest repeater
as you moved in and out of range??

I think it would be beneficial if you were traveling alone
and didnt have a repeater guide with you
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

This is how public safety trunking systems work.  As the officer/firefighter/medic drive around, the radio is constantly listening to a slew of control channels and picking the best one.

But remember, on a trunking site, there is ALWAYS a radio transmitting.  The control channel never stops, and it sends out the site information via the digital protocol.

Since a ham repeater is only transmitting while somebody is talking, a radio could not simply listen for it.

The other way to do it would be GPS based.  Some of the very high end police scanners will turn sites on and off based upon GPS settings.  Why this has never been incorporated into a ham radio I don't know.

I can't think of any other way to do it.

Brad
W9CMG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:57 PM »

If you have a smart phone, get RepeaterBook app. It will tell you what repeaters (call sign, freq., tone) are near you and in what direction. Or, if you use a Garmin Nuvi GPS, get the ARRL's TravelPlus Mobile GPS software for the same info. Won't switch your radio automatically but will make it easier to find a local repeater.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »

It seems like if you had the GPS location of the repeaters in your GPS, you could just find a list of the "nearest" ones (like you can for gas stations or restaurants) and then dial it up. Doesn't the ARRL's digital repeater book have such a GPS option?
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:27:41 AM »

I believe the Icom IC7100 supports such a function but I'm not sure if that's just for DSTAR.
KF5ZYS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

Repeater book for android and bluecat interface
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »

The new Digital Voice radios from Yaesu and Icom have something similar to what you're asking about, in that they know where they are from GPS, and can give you choices of radios that are in range. BUT DV isn't universal yet. Check with ARES and Clubs in your area, see what's happening, and you may be one of the early adopters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: