Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anan 100  (Read 9217 times)
K2GWK

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »

I have a couple of grand burning a hole in my pocket after selling some stuff on Ebay. I am considering an Anan 100. No, I don't have the extra scratch to go for the 100D. I know some of you have much more insight on these radios than I so I have a question or two. Now that the 100D is available and 200D is in pre-order status, is the 100 in danger of going obsolete soon? I have read about the firmware that improves the IMD. Does the firmware apply to the 100 also? I am not married to the Anan radios. Are there any other SDR's in this price range I should also consider? Thank in advance for the help.

Guy (K2GWK)
Chief Pain in the Butt

NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 07:05:40 AM »

Just on the sideline...

I had a QSO with a person using ANAN100. On the P3 panadapter his signal looked like DSB and could equally well be heard on LSB.   He changed to LSB and DSB, but they all looked the same on P3. Apparently his signal looked right on pan adapter associated with the ANAN.

I am not sure he believed me. P3 is fine.
Any idea what could have happened?

Ignacy, NO9E

K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:39 PM »

I've "seen" a few on the bands, and they have tight normal looking signals.  Also noticed a few of them running the predistortion option, and those are extremely clean with nothing showing outside the passband.

Not sure why someone would be showing up as double sideband, I'm sure the guy had some sort of issue going on. 
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:53 PM »

Forgot to add that I think it's a good buy, I've got one on my list as well.  Though I wish it had a better mic jack and a balance line input jack.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »

Forgot to add that I think it's a good buy, I've got one on my list as well.  Though I wish it had a better mic jack and a balance line input jack.

Agreed.....It would be nice if radio manufacturers started using balanced inputs and XLR connectors on the front panels. Especially on the "base station" rigs.

W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 12:30:49 PM »

his webcam has an ultra wide angle lens up to 120 degrees
Just on the sideline...

I had a QSO with a person using ANAN100. On the P3 panadapter his signal looked like DSB and could equally well be heard on LSB.   He changed to LSB and DSB, but they all looked the same on P3. Apparently his signal looked right on pan adapter associated with the ANAN.

I am not sure he believed me. P3 is fine.
Any idea what could have happened?

Losing I or Q (or getting the gain cal way wrong) will do this.

The typical vector modulator has two double balanced mixers and a 90 degree phase shift network for the carrier (or the logical equivalent, like in a quadrature sampling modulator). 

coming out of the two DBMs is a suppressed carrier DSB signal.  If the phases are right, when you add them, one of the sidebands cancels, the other is reinforced. Flipping the phase of one reverses it.
If one side is zero, you're left with the DSB signal
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

My GUESS, as that's all it is that you'll be ok for a while since they announced a D model first for the 200 series and also announced a 3 ADC model after that.

A straight 200 though to replace the 100 makes a lot of sense though for relieving users of the need to open the radio to change jumpers.  If I had to guess its because they want to run with the Pure Signal while it's hot.

Now with the new firmware and if you just use an unbalanced mic input or VAC for audio I doubt you'll need to open the radio.

I have had my 100D for a year now and have no desire to sell it.  The lack of a balanced audio jack seemed discouraging at first, however, I just use a PC sound interface and can run pretty much whatever mic I want with an Art Clean-box between the Anan and the interface doing the balanced to unbalanced conversion.

The past two weekends I have actually been doing some AM on 10 & 15 meters with lots of nice unsolicited excellent audio reports from some very solid AM guys.

To be honest, the way it all works now is really nice and if you use a similar setup I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Anan SSB wise.  You can read the software defined audio article I wrote at SDRzone.com to get a sense of what I am doing audio wise.  One of the VST plugins I use is a noise gate that is simply awesome for knocking out shack background noise as well.

Glad I got mine when I did as it seems more and more like a steal of a deal!

Just do your research before you buy so you know what it is your buying, understand the OpenSource support model, ect.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:52:06 PM by NI0Z » Logged

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 07:34:41 PM »

My GUESS, as that's all it is that you'll be ok for a while since they announced a D model first for the 200 series and also announced a 3 ADC model after that.

A straight 200 though to replace the 100 makes a lot of sense though for relieving users of the need to open the radio to change jumpers.  If I had to guess its because they want to run with the Pure Signal while it's hot.

Now with the new firmware and if you just use an unbalanced mic input or VAC for audio I doubt you'll need to open the radio.

I have had my 100D for a year now and have no desire to sell it.  The lack of a balanced audio jack seemed discouraging at first, however, I just use a PC sound interface and can run pretty much whatever mic I want with an Art Clean-box between the Anan and the interface doing the balanced to unbalanced conversion.

The past two weekends I have actually been doing some AM on 10 & 15 meters with lots of nice unsolicited excellent audio reports from some very solid AM guys.

To be honest, the way it all works now is really nice and if you use a similar setup I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Anan SSB wise.  You can read the software defined audio article I wrote at SDRzone.com to get a sense of what I am doing audio wise.  One of the VST plugins I use is a noise gate that is simply awesome for knocking out shack background noise as well.

Glad I got mine when I did as it seems more and more like a steal of a deal!

Just do your research before you buy so you know what it is your buying, understand the OpenSource support model, ect.

As it is now I use a transformer to interface my balanced audio electronics to my unbalanced K3 input so the unbalanced input doesn't bother me too much. I still don't understand the manufacturers resistance towards balanced mic inputs although my old FT-950 had a balanced input. I am just concerned about obsolescence. I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete within a month or two. As much as the money is burning a hole in my pocket I also want to make an intelligent decision.

NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »

I had a QSO with a person using ANAN100. On the P3 panadapter his signal looked like DSB and could equally well be heard on LSB.

He wrote me that he reloaded the software and everything is OK.

Ignacy, NO9E

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »

As it is now I use a transformer to interface my balanced audio electronics to my unbalanced K3 input so the unbalanced input doesn't bother me too much. I still don't understand the manufacturers resistance towards balanced mic inputs although my old FT-950 had a balanced input. I am just concerned about obsolescence. I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete within a month or two. As much as the money is burning a hole in my pocket I also want to make an intelligent decision.

You could actually ask that question with regards to the Anan's as the designers hang out over on the Yahoo group. 

Since I went solid state on my amp I seem to have a lot less RF issues, especially getting into my audio.

Anyways, not sure I get your point about one jack verses another type leading to obsolescence, can you elaborate more?

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

You could actually ask that question with regards to the Anan's as the designers hang out over on the Yahoo group. 

Since I went solid state on my amp I seem to have a lot less RF issues, especially getting into my audio.

Anyways, not sure I get your point about one jack verses another type leading to obsolescence, can you elaborate more?

Sorry for not replying sooner. They were two different subjects. The audio response was in reply to another post in the thread about the Anan having an unbalanced mic input to which I replied it didn't bother me and I reiterated that as much as I have the cash burning a hole in my pocket, I want to make a good decision before spending my scratch. The obsolescence concern is a based on my original post on if the Anan 100 would be obsolete soon because there is already a 100D and soon a 200D model.

KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »

I have the 100d model , as much as I hate to say it , I would have been just as happy with the 100 unit. the rig is a joy and delightful to use daily. The concept is the same from high to low, the performance is stellar. I have videos of my anan copying signals the k3 doesn't even hear. The newest firmware and dsp upgrades make the anan a hard radio to beat. I operate 99% cw and love using hrd and cw skimmer with it.

As far as contests go, a local ham here scored in the top ten ranking based on last years numbers in a rtty contest. This rig is great on digital modes. top ten on a wire dipole , no tower!!
He claims the radio is making it happen.

Good luck with your decision, no harm in buying the 100,

Greg kc8iir
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:16 PM »

I have the 100d model , as much as I hate to say it , I would have been just as happy with the 100 unit. the rig is a joy and delightful to use daily. The concept is the same from high to low, the performance is stellar. I have videos of my anan copying signals the k3 doesn't even hear. The newest firmware and dsp upgrades make the anan a hard radio to beat. I operate 99% cw and love using hrd and cw skimmer with it.

As far as contests go, a local ham here scored in the top ten ranking based on last years numbers in a rtty contest. This rig is great on digital modes. top ten on a wire dipole , no tower!!
He claims the radio is making it happen.

Good luck with your decision, no harm in buying the 100,

Greg kc8iir

Thank you for the input Greg. I am glad to hear how happy you are with the Anan.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: