Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skype Settings for CW  (Read 3849 times)
N3HEE

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »

Does anyone have suggestions for optimal settings for using Skype for remote CW audio streaming.  I have it working but it really doesn't sound that great.  Sounds like automatic noise reduction trying to kick in which tends to block weaker signals from streaming properly.  I have disabled the automatic volume controls but that didn't help much.  I don't see too many choices for audio settings.  Is there a better application for streaming CW audio?  Thanks -Joe
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:20:36 AM »

I got a tip off list about using Mumble.  I installed and configured a Mumble server and clients on my shack and remote machines. I found that Mumble is far better for streaming CW audio than Skype.  Mumble provides many advanced settings to custom tailor the audio.  I'm happy ! 
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 02:56:57 AM »

At K4VV we've used both Skype and Mumble for remote operation - I agree Mumble is much better. The wizard settings seem to work pretty good.

One thing someone suggested that seems to work: after running for a while, Mumble seems to start experiencing some drop outs. If you bring up the Configuration screen and do nothing but click "Apply" it seems to clean things up.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:23:50 AM »

Hi John.  Yes, I have noticed the drop outs and also found clicking apply seems to help?  Very strange.  I am running Murmur (the Mumble server) on my home network so I have very low latency but I still get some drop outs.  Are there any amateur radio specific streaming software packages out there?  Thanks - Joe n3hee
W5UXH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

I have been running Mumble for about three years.  I stay logged in to a commercial server 24/7 and the mode is Continuous so I have continuous outgoing packets.  Occasionally I test overnight in loopback mode so I can check the packet statistics in both directions.

I have never noticed any effect from APPLY on the lost packet counts.  But there are definitely times when something gets messed up where APPLY "fixes" it.  The symptoms sometimes are distorted audio (but not lost packets) and more commonly there is just no outgoing audio in the packets (the packets are still transmitted though).  I'm not sure if an APPLY on my end has ever fixed incoming audio.  I would guess this might happen once a week or so but I do tend to log out and back in every few days in order to reset the counts.

I certainly have had intervals of packet loss, most commonly outgoing, but has always been on the external network.  Last year I had problems for months, some locally in town, some out close to the server in CA.  But (knock on wood) Comcast and the backbones have been near perfect for many months now.

I just logged out and back in 22 minutes ago to reset my packet count statistics, but I think the outgoing rate I saw before the reset was 0.03% for the past 3 days.  I find a steady rate of 0.5% is a bit annoying for CW and 1.5% is not worth trying to QSO.

Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: