Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Customs HS Codes for amateur radio equipment  (Read 2826 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:21 AM »

I'm based in Thai;land and I've ordered some amateur radio equipment (test equipment and antennas) from a US supplier.  This equipment has now arrived in Thailand and the customs office has called me to visit them to pay the import tax.

This process is always hit and miss!  Basically, the customs office will try to levy the highest duty possible, (since a portion of this will go into their back pocket...)

The trick to minimising the tax is to do some homework prior to visiting the office.....

II need to obtain the 'best' HS (custom nomenclature) codes that will result in a low tax rate.

Does anyone know what the HS codes are for base antennas, mobile antennas and amateur radio test equipment?  (I am not importing any transceivers).

Does emergency comms equipment normally attract a lower tax rate?  (Not specifically for Thailand, but if most countries levy a lower tax, then Thailand will possibly adopt the same principle).

Simon
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:09:22 AM »

I'm based in Thai;land and I've ordered some amateur radio equipment (test equipment and antennas) from a US supplier.  This equipment has now arrived in Thailand and the customs office has called me to visit them to pay the import tax.

This process is always hit and miss!  Basically, the customs office will try to levy the highest duty possible, (since a portion of this will go into their back pocket...)

The trick to minimising the tax is to do some homework prior to visiting the office.....

II need to obtain the 'best' HS (custom nomenclature) codes that will result in a low tax rate.

Does anyone know what the HS codes are for base antennas, mobile antennas and amateur radio test equipment?  (I am not importing any transceivers).

Does emergency comms equipment normally attract a lower tax rate?  (Not specifically for Thailand, but if most countries levy a lower tax, then Thailand will possibly adopt the same principle).

Simon

HS commodity codes, import duty & tax rates and import restrictions for Amateur transceiver

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-code-duty-rate-import-restrictions/851762/amateur-transceiver/8517.62.0050/8517.62.0090/874/

For Thailand

http://www.dutycalculator.com/country-guides/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-Thailand/

Duty Rates

Duty rates in Thailand vary from 0% to 80%, with an average duty rate of 20.93%.  Some products can be imported free of duty, e.g. laptops and other electronic products.

Sales Tax

Goods imported into Thailand are subject to VAT at a rate of 7% calculated over the CIF value plus any applicable duty.

Minimum thresholds

Imports with a CIF value up to 1000 THB are exempt from duty and VAT.

Other taxes and customs fees

Alcohol and tobacco products are subject to excise duty which could be ad valorem or specific.  Goods subject to excise are levied an additional Interior tax calculated at 10% of excise.

Additionally, Thailand imposes certain product-specific surcharges on some foodstuffs that take the form of ad valorem or specific duties.

Local Customs office and contacts

More information on import declaration procedures and import restrictions can be found at the Thai Customs website."

Still using Windows XP Pro.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:16:08 AM »

Thanks for your comment, but you gave the HS code for a ham rig, which I specifically said did not apply Smiley

Most of the shipment is aluminium antenna mast.....

Simon
K9JCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »

Simon, Try this.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/hs-lookup/82080/hs-tariff-code-for-antenna/

K9JCS
Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: