Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W1AW/X - How long typically to confirm LOTW?  (Read 39190 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:16:48 AM »

I am curious, in peoples experience how long it takes for the W1AW/X stations to confirm via LOTW?  I got back on the air and got W1AW/7 and W1AW/8 20m ssb this weekend and they have not confirmed yet. 

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:25:20 AM »

Typically between 1 and 3 weeks after the end of the week-long rotating term, the W1AW portable QSO is confirmed in LOTW.

e.g. I worked W1AW/7 in Idaho, on March 5, March 6, March 7, March 9, March 10, and March 11, different bands and modes.

All of these were confirmed in LOTW on March 13. That was on the "fast end". I would expect confirmation generally between 1 and 3 weeks after the end of the state's term. Usually all or all but one QSO's are confirmed in one batch upload at that time. Sometimes there is a straggler that comes in weeks later but this is unusual. I have never seen a confirmation before the end of a state's term.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »

Thanks that helps! 

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »

Just got back from lunch and /8 has confirmed . . . so they are getting there.

N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:18 PM »

Here is some insight into the process:

Many of the W1AW/X operations consist of many operators from many stations spread across the state.  The result is sometimes 20 or 30 logs generated by each state, each week.  To help cut down the work load, the usual procedure is for the logs to be sent shortly after the week is complete.  The POC at ARRL gets each log, assigns a certificate (with specific grid square, county, etc information included for each log), then uploads them to LOTW.  This is why you may see some of your QSOs confirmed sooner than others - they are working through the backlog of assigning certificates, or they are waiting for some of the operators to submit their log.

As a general rule, I am guessing it takes on average 3-4 days for each W1AW/X coordinator to get the logs from the operators, and another 3-4 days for the League to receive and upload them.  This timeline starts as soon as each state operation ends.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
W1AW/KH2 coordinator
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »

Thanks so much for the info. I was moving around on 40m last night ran across a pile up for W1AW/0 from Iowa. Got a QSO, which I was suprised at with all the QRN and other hams in there.

Jeff
KC9QQM
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »

Is it just me . . .

I haven't had a QSO confirmed in over three weeks. Usually they start trickling in about a week after the operation ended.  But I've had nothing confirmed from May 17 onward. Zip. Nada. Not a single QSO.  Lots before then.

73 de Tony K1OC

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »

I have noticed that as well . . Missing all LOTW confirmations since about the middle of May for W1AW stations. . .  Hopefully they'll get the logs uploaded soon.

PA0QRB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 07:49:42 AM »

All,

Please watch this space:

https://centennial-qso-party.arrl.org/w1aw-portable-qsos.php

The page takes a couple of seconds to load.
@K1OC: this information is consistent with your Nothing Nada Zip date Wink

73 Harold
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »

Ah, that is very interesting, Harold, thank you.

73 de Tony K1OC

K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54:45 AM »

I have seen that site and have been watching it. I am just curious what's taking so long. I think they will get them uploaded someday.

All,

Please watch this space:

https://centennial-qso-party.arrl.org/w1aw-portable-qsos.php

The page takes a couple of seconds to load.
@K1OC: this information is consistent with your Nothing Nada Zip date Wink

73 Harold

N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 02:42:27 PM »

There is I think only one person at ARRL who is doing the actual uploads of the W1AW/x qso's to LOTW. There are many things that can slow the process down and he has a lot to do:

-if that one person at ARRL is away for a week everything gets backed up. I am guessing that Dayton might be responsible for some of the recent backlog.

-each new location for W1AW/x (different county, state, grid square) needs  a new certificate created and is uploaded separately. Many states have had more than 20 separate locations, all with separate log files.

-there are often problems with the adif files that have to be fixed by hand: some logging programs just generate invalid or incomplete ADIF

-the same person is responsible for dealing with the hundreds of emails from people checking if their call was busted. As the year goes on, the number of such emails is only increasing. I know I dealt with many of these for the first MS week.

Sometimes there are issues with the state coordinators getting the logs in. When I sent in the logs for MS there was a delay of several days more than I expected. I had sent them all in a zip file and only found out after waiting several days that the ARRL email server silently dropped emails with attached zips.

Tor
N4OGW
(W1AW/5 MS coordinator)
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »

Thanks for the insight, Tor.  Yep, they are starting to roll in again.

the same person is responsible for dealing with the hundreds of emails from people checking if their call was busted

So, I was wondering about that.  I do have a few contacts that have not been confirmed.  (In one case, the operator called me by the wrong name, so I knew he had my call wrong, but it was "QRZed" before I could correct it.)  What's the protocol?  I don't want to contribute to the person's overwhelming workload and I'm perfectly happy to wait until the end of the year, but I don't want to miss the opportunity.

73 de Tony K1OC

N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 02:22:24 PM »

Thanks for the insight, Tor.  Yep, they are starting to roll in again.

the same person is responsible for dealing with the hundreds of emails from people checking if their call was busted

So, I was wondering about that.  I do have a few contacts that have not been confirmed.  (In one case, the operator called me by the wrong name, so I knew he had my call wrong, but it was "QRZed" before I could correct it.)  What's the protocol?  I don't want to contribute to the person's overwhelming workload and I'm perfectly happy to wait until the end of the year, but I don't want to miss the opportunity.

73 de Tony K1OC

Try the email address at the bottom of https://centennial-qp.arrl.org/index.php   You will need to send all the qso details: which W1AW/x, date, time, band, mode.

Tor
N4OGW
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:03:59 AM »

I do have a few contacts that have not been confirmed.  (In one case, the operator called me by the wrong name, so I knew he had my call wrong, but it was "QRZed" before I could correct it.)  What's the protocol?  I don't want to contribute to the person's overwhelming workload and I'm perfectly happy to wait until the end of the year, but I don't want to miss the opportunity.

Unless it is something "really special" I am not going to be trying to chase down the missed confirmations, instead I will just be working them again in the second go-around.

Something that would be "really special" is for example a per-band-DXCC credit or filling in a per-band-WAS credit. (Places where I have been helped already via LOTW confirmations from W1AW/X, most notably getting a LOTW confirmation for Puerto Rico 160M DXCC, and I've also been filling in many holes in WARC WAS matrix via W1AW/X).

Tim.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:06:27 AM by N3QE » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: