Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Migration...  (Read 2456 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »

No I'm not flying north for the winter  Cheesy

I am getting a new laptop and I want to move apps and data from my old laptop to the new one with the least amount of hassle.

I looked at a few migration assistant software suites but they are rather pricey. In the order of $60.00 (US) or so.

I figured some of the experts out there may have some more 'reasonable' suggestions.

The details: Old laptop is windows 7 (Home Premium), New laptop windows 8 (not sure which version)

Thanks in advance!!
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »

Backup was installed standard in XP pro,
but had to be retro installed for home edition.
- it was a good program, that worked well.

under win 7/8 - it's been changed, somewhat.
Not that it's perfect.
 Backup and Restore allows you to pick which drive you wish to backup to,
but won't let you pick a folder in that drive.

To launch the program, simply click Start, type backup, and select Backup and Restore.
Plug in your external hard drive and click Set up backup.
 Make your own decisions in the setup wizard, but when you get to the last page, click Change schedule.
 Uncheck Run backup on a schedule (recommended), and click OK. You're set up.

To back up your data (and you should do this every day), plug in the external drive,
launch Backup and Restore as described above, and click Back up now.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:03:35 AM »

I am not expert! I haven't had to migrate that many times, but when I do, I do it "manually". By that I mean that I take my "data" (word processing files, pictures and stuff like that) and back them up to as many CDs or DVDs as it takes. Then I re-install of my software on the new system from scratch.

I find that this works much better (for me anyway) since I don't necessarily want a mirror image of what I had before. It gives me an opportunity to examine my system and see what stuff I really need to keep and what I can live without. Back in ye goode olde days when hard drives were a lot smaller in capacity and a lot more expensive, this used to be a major factor, but with 1tb drives selling for $59 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339), this isn't quite as critical as it once was.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 05:18:39 AM »

Reinstall all your apps. Don't try to copy them over. It won't work unless it's a app in a single .exe file and you know where it lives. Too many apps these days spread dll files and other things all over the drive.

I always manual copy my data to a USB drive then to the new system. I don't trust migration assistants but then I am a computer guy during the day and I know where all my data is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:00:48 AM by K5UNX » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:36:55 AM »

Reinstall all your apps. Don't try to copy them over. It won't work unless it's a app in a single .exe file and you know where it lives. Too many apps these days spread ell files and other things all over the drive.

I always manual copy my data to a USB drive then to the new system. I don't trust migration assistants but then I am a computer guy during the day and I know where all my data is.

Best advice here.....

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:54 PM »

Yes, for $55 you can get a 1TB HD, copy all your pertinent info to it, and you will have to re-install your applications to a new HD.  Then keep all your old stuff on the new TB HD and keep your apps and OS on the main HD. If W8 is anything like W7, you can link your 'Library' to the 1TB and not even transfer the old data.  Keeps your OS disk clean, pretty much.  At least that's what I've done from XP to W7.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 08:33:21 PM »

Yes, for $55 you can get a 1TB HD, copy all your pertinent info to it, and you will have to re-install your applications to a new HD.  Then keep all your old stuff on the new TB HD and keep your apps and OS on the main HD. If W8 is anything like W7, you can link your 'Library' to the 1TB and not even transfer the old data.  Keeps your OS disk clean, pretty much.  At least that's what I've done from XP to W7.

Kinda silly to use old main drive for boot and OS.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »

Why don't you just use the built in "Easy transfer"? You'll need a USD hard drive or set up a network between your old and new computer. It seemed to work fine the few times I've used it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/transfer-data-from-old-computer-to-windows-8/

Todd
AD7VB
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »

used Easy Transfer when shifting from a XP based PC over to a win_7 PC,
- got the XP version & it worked fine. ..

but have heard of ppl who had issues using EFT - to go from win _7, tho
AD7VB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 11:43:12 AM »

Well I think the worst that could happen is you reinstall Win8 from the recovery software and then try something else. It doesn't touch the original computer.

I would also use wired networking if you are setup for it as the file transfers are much faster.

And do yourself a favor and put Start8 or classic shell on the Win8 machine.

Todd
AD7VB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: