About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP???  (Read 4833 times)
N5WRX

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »

I have always been a SSB QRO type of ham.
My radios delivered 100 watts or I didnt want them.
I studied hard to pass the 13 wpm code test required to get a General class ticket.
It wasn't easy but after I passes I quickly put the CW key away.

I see all the fun you QRP guys are having and I gotta try it.
Bought a Flex 1500 (love that receiver) and am trying to get my code speed up to at least 6 or 7 wpm so I wont sound like a complete novice.
I do a lot of traveling and like the idea of tossing a wire out the motel window and firing it up with 4 or 5 watts of power.

So what band would be a good start ... 30m  ... 40m ?

N5WRX  Willee
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

40m if you only work one band, 30m and up are useful as well. for your CW practice, try getting some practice recordings that use the Farnsworth method (letters sent faster, with longer spaces between). Use your Flex 1500 to listen to W1AW Code Practice broadcasts, and to CW Bulletins, which are at 18WP - your ear will get used to the speed.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:57:02 AM »

Any of the QRP CW watering holes especially 40/30/20 meters.You will find plenty of 5-7 wpm operators just starting out, check out 7.110-7.125 this seems to be the CW training grounds. Also listen for any ham using SKCC with his call as they are more than willing to match your speed weather a basic station info exchange or a longer rag chew.
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:58:07 AM »

For someone getting back into CW that 40 meter segment mentioned by W1JKA is the place to go. 
The SKCC actually lists 7.114 as their "Elmer" frequency and I hear a lot of slow speed QSO's there. You might want to look into this group because they have monthly weekend events where anyone (re)learning the craft can make some nice contacts. They really go out of their way to make folks welcome.
After 40+ years of hamming I decided to learn how to use a bug. It really was like making my first novice contact, complete with sweaty palms, but the other members were supportive. Couple of weeks ago I worked a fellow member in France and he was complimentary of my sending. (He was just being nice, trust me)
Good luck and hang in there.
WB0FDJ Doc
AE7UT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »

+1 on the SKCC idea.

There are around 12 THOUSAND hams now signed up for SKCC.
If you go on the SKED page, http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=skcc you can find many guys willing to start up a QSO.
I also look at http://pa4n.xs4all.nl/bandmap.html and you can set it to only look for people running <20 WPM.  I also set mine to look at North American spotters so I'm almost sure to hear them well.

As for good places to look for QRS again if you look at the SKCC page it shows where they recommend people to CQ.   You'll find tons of guys like you and I.

Stan AE7UT
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:12:51 AM »

Wonderful!  Welcome aboard.  There are a lot of folks who are seeing the fun of QRP.

40M then 20M are good.  I have had a lot of luck on 17M and 10M as well.

72, JP, K8AG
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:47 PM »

All commenters above. Wow, more proof cw/cw qrp rocks. You guys / girls are awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: