The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Tablet with a keyboard  (Read 6047 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »

I recently picked up a docking station/keyboard for my Asus Transformer tablet. I was impressed how well it worked and even a cordless logictech mouse was instantly seen when plugged into USB port. Andriod behaves well with mouse and keyboard. Even uses scroll wheel. Asus did their homework.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »

iPad works fine with bluetooth keyboard. No docking station or USB ports needed.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 04:54:08 PM »

iPad works fine with bluetooth keyboard. No docking station or USB ports needed.

Well lack of USB support is not a plus and you can use a blue tooth with Asus tablet but dock nearly doubles battery life and adds a standard USB 2 port a support for a SDram card too. It was a nice solid hinge that will support tablet at any angle you want to without a case.

Ham since 1969....
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »

I agree on the Android USB support a plus. As much as I like my Ipad air2 LTE, as far as function I enjoy my android devices.. The ability to plug into a Thumbdrive or HDD. The ability to use a USB serial adapter to connect to TNCs and other RS 232 devices... I can gone on and on.
I pad is nice to browse, check email occasional videos ect. Just find the I/O bit lacking.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:54:58 AM »

I am gaining more respect for Android in uses beyond simple smart phone or tablet function.

Ham since 1969....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:35 AM »

I am gaining more respect for Android in uses beyond simple smart phone or tablet function.

After watching a lot of videos on ham radio digital communications on YouTube. It seems  quite a bit of them are Android apps. I watched a video on the new Android app for the Icom ID51A D-STAR HT. With the app, one can send text, files and photos as well as control the radio via Android.

Other videos on Android showed  PSK 31, DroidPSK, DroidSSTV, WolphiLink, Black Cat Systems NAVTEX and WEFAX. Impressive.

So, my question is. What is the least expensive Android device that would run all the above with no issues. Price Range?

I don't really care to watch videos on it, just use ham radio apps.

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »

After watching a lot of videos on ham radio digital communications on YouTube. It seems  quite a bit of them are Android apps. I watched a video on the new Android app for the Icom ID51A D-STAR HT. With the app, one can send text, files and photos as well as control the radio via Android.

Other videos on Android showed  PSK 31, DroidPSK, DroidSSTV, WolphiLink, Black Cat Systems NAVTEX and WEFAX. Impressive.

So, my question is. What is the least expensive Android device that would run all the above with no issues. Price Range?

I don't really care to watch videos on it, just use ham radio apps.

Well you want at least "Ice Creme/4.1x" for compatabilty. Asus sold a lot of Transformer Android tablets with optional docking station keyboards that add full sized USB support. The TF300 and TF700 series were most popular. I have a TF300TL which supports LTE which was reason I selected it..I would suggest a TF700T which are seen a lot on Ebay for well under 200 with docking station. It has a 1920 x 1080 display vs 1368 x 800 on TF300. It also has a Terga 3 1.6 ghz vs 1.3ghz on 300. Both can be upgraded officailly to 4.2x.   If they had made a TF700 with LTE I would have gotten it instead. Tegra 3 though a bit dated today has excellent video support and streams video effortlessly.(this is important because digi modes require good videosupport for smooth operation of waterfall)  The Tegra 3 is actually a 5 core CPU with 4 main cores and a 5th low power core to support standby operations.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:41:32 AM by W8JX » Logged

Ham since 1969....
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:47:06 AM »

OK

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:09:38 AM »

I highly recommand a app called "Automatic Task Killer" in google play store which can be set to kill apps on demand.Android has a bad habit of not killing apps on its own and I use it a lot.

Ham since 1969....
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

One of the cooler apps I found is Pocket TX/RX.  Lets me connect to HRD running my 706.
Remote operation of a station 160m thru 440.  
Nice to be sitting down having breakfast at the restaurant 500 miles from home and fire up the rig at home and check into the a 75m ragchew from my cellphone. Ya baby.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:13:37 AM »

I recently picked up a docking station/keyboard for my Asus Transformer tablet. I was impressed how well it worked and even a cordless logictech mouse was instantly seen when plugged into USB port. Andriod behaves well with mouse and keyboard. Even uses scroll wheel. Asus did their homework.

I picked up one of these last month also, pretty impressive especially considering the $200 price for the tablet/dock combo price. I mainly got it to reduce the amount of weight that I need to carry to the office & school every day.

It won't completely replace my MacBook, but it is perfect for anyone who needs a simple inexpensive laptop for general purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: