Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Computer Related Ham Identity Theft  (Read 778 times)
WI5O

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:47:47 AM »

As the Internet plunges deeper into our daily lives, identity theft has taking a toll on an increasing number of victims.  Unfortunately, hams have also suffered from identity theft.  Have you ever conducted a search of your call sign on Google and other search engines?  What did you find?  Did you find libelous photos someone posted on the Internet or other information associated with your call sign?  Did someone get your personal information and use it to commit identity theft?  Did some person or organization steal your call sign or info and register domains in your name or calls sign?

I recently conducted a search of my call sign and found some of the questions above answered 'yes'.  I also read where this problem exists on packet clusters and other areas.  A petition was sent to the FCC about the identity theft occurring on packet clusters in hopes to change information availability or other rule making.  However, it seems that our personal information remains at risk.  What are your thoughts on this?  What should be done to combat the identity theft and theft of our call signs on the Internet?
KM4FMK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »

These international thieves love these 4 and 5 letter "names" and "nicknames", so it is expected to find hackers, scammers and frauds to be using ones that are the same as a lot of 4 and 5 digit call signs. Only a remote few will fake it to scam people for ham radio stuff.
KC4MOP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

QRZd may be a source for the problem. A person doesn't have to do much to get access to that database.
A hacker can get a dead call sign and create an account and have at it.
If I'm in the wrong thinking, let me know

Fred
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »

Found a lot of this on a bunch of web pages talking about bacteria counts  Cheesy -

N = 5) inP
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:26:06 AM »

My .02 to this thread:
One way to stop someone from stealing your call and registering a domain is to buy the domain yourself. I would start with the .com, since that is the first choice of anyone wanting to capitalize on it.
Just register and park it. Make sure you also purchase the privacy package so that no one can find your personal info by looking up whois.

Frank - KE2KB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: