Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 34595 times)
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 06:37:48 AM »

Linux isn't for everybody. 

I just recently got completely away from Windows and went "all in" with Linux (except for one Mac desktop).

On the other hand, I'd never put a LInux machine in front of my wife, for example.

DJ1YFK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »

On the other hand, I'd never put a LInux machine in front of my wife, for example.
You might be surprised - my wife has never been happier with her computer after she migrated to Ubuntu (from Windows 7).

This whole thread can be concluded simply by saying that people are very different, and so are their preferences in computers and operating systems. There's no right or wrong.

I for one am happy that I can still use almost exactly the same user interface as I have done for more than ten years already (IceWM on Linux, mostly work done in various terminals), while for example Windows (and also GNOME, KDE, etc.) have seen several fundamental changes in the same time. Some people see these changes as an improvement in usability, others (like me) are convinced that what they currently use is simply the best and cannot be improved.

Fortunately, as hobbyists, we are free to choose. :-)

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »

Sometimes the latest / greatest Mint version is not the best for your machine. Sometimes the older versions work better.

If Mint 16 doesn't work, try 13.  I've had one machine where 13 worked better than 15 or 16.  I suggest 13 because it's one of the Long Term Support versions.  Mint 17, which should be released this summer, will be another LTS version.

But one can say the same thing about Windows.  We have a lot of older PCs at work that run WinXP perfectly, but will not run Win7, even with good enough hardware.  Since most of those are lab PCs under my department's control, they will probably be switched to Linux once XP support ends next month.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »

Linux reverts to a generic video driver during installation, so the desktop GUI is always viewable. Usually after installation you can search and install the better NVIDIA driver. Either way the desktop GUI is always viewable. If it is not, usually that means a corrupt disc.

That's true, but if the driver doesn't completely support the chipset, then a lockup is inevitable.  The driver must be updated as soon as possible after installation.  In the case of the NVIDIA driver, the system must be in console mode, with no X server running, in order to install it.

Regarding Linux not being plug and play, the same argument can be applied to Windows. Ever have to reinstall Windows on a laptop after a hard drive crash? First off the drivers for the wifi are not included, neither are the proper video drivers either, drivers for the touch pad no included. Windows plug and play?  Yea right...

If the original OEM driver disk is not found, and the Windows installation disk doesn't contain the required drivers, then it is a royal pain to find and install Windows.  My ancient Dell laptop at work had to have XP reinstalled after a hard drive crash, and the driver disk was long gone.  So I put Mint 13 on it instead, and have had no issues ever since.  I could have found the drivers online on another PC, then sneaker-netted them over to the laptop, but why bother?  Linux is so much easier to install than Windows.  Grin
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »

That's true, but if the driver doesn't completely support the chipset, then a lockup is inevitable.  The driver must be updated as soon as possible after installation.  In the case of the NVIDIA driver, the system must be in console mode, with no X server running, in order to install it.

I can't recall the last time I had to install a NVIDIA driver from the console with no X server running.  Of course, using Linux Mint, there is a simple GUI tool that makes installation a breeze.  It does require a reboot to finalize the installation, but I haven't had to do any NVIDIA driver installation from the console in years. 

Dave
K3DCW

Hamming it up on OS X!
www.machamradio.com
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »

That's true, but if the driver doesn't completely support the chipset, then a lockup is inevitable.  The driver must be updated as soon as possible after installation.  In the case of the NVIDIA driver, the system must be in console mode, with no X server running, in order to install it.

I can't recall the last time I had to install a NVIDIA driver from the console with no X server running.  Of course, using Linux Mint, there is a simple GUI tool that makes installation a breeze.  It does require a reboot to finalize the installation, but I haven't had to do any NVIDIA driver installation from the console in years.

If you use Slackware or Debian (I think - it's been awhile since I did it), it's necessary to get the driver directly from NVIDIA.  Because neither has the GUI installer that Mint has, one must drop to a console as root in order to compile and install it.

But most people won't be using either distro, so they won't have to worry about it.
KE6TDP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »

I did, so far so good. Which actually points to the fact that for many basic applications, it works just as well as MS Windows. Of course, I provide 24/7 tech support along with wearing body armour. Grin

author=KB3VWG link=topic=95822.msg746173#msg746173 date=1395845576]
Nope, and I am not going to. I simply did it to see what the state of Linux was since I last used it, and it still has the same quirky problems.

Well, since you don't want to troubleshoot, it's hard to say if it's Linux with the quirky problems, the laptop, or the person installing it.
I would still encourage N5INP to see if terminal mode can be entered. It's a quick easy check.  I find it difficult to believe, that given a problem, that one would not want take a quick look at it to gain a minimal understanding.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »

it works just as well as MS Windows.

I like this one. What Win 95/98 or XP?  Not remotely in same league as Win 8x which is moving to a common platform for desktop, tablet and phone and shared data among them. Look I am not a blind MS lover but their OS is evolving faster than Linux and Linux is falling farther behind. 

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »

Linux has a 42% market share over all platforms (phone, tablet, desktop) vs. Microsoft's 20%. The idea that MS is "leaving behind" linux in this respect is preposterous.

ex W4HFK
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 01:27:07 PM »

Linux has a 42% market share over all platforms (phone, tablet, desktop) vs. Microsoft's 20%. The idea that MS is "leaving behind" linux in this respect is preposterous.

While probably true, I think it's misleading. This takes into account all Android phones, Linux servers, and markets where Linux is heavily used.  I don't see many people using it as desktop operating systems. The ones I do, are mainly geeks that are very technical minded with computers.

K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »

I was more replying to the notion that Windows 8's unification of platform has helped Microsoft gain any kind of huge foothold to make it more relevant across all platforms. If it has it hasn't shown. More people still use Windows Vista (yes Vista) than Windows 8 on the desktop, and their latest attempt at trying to actually penetrate the mobile market is looking to be just as doomed as the previous attempts. Windows 8 is a flop, relatively speaking. And it couldn't come at a worse time.

Only 4-5 years ago PCs were how everyone accessed the internet. That isn't the case anymore. MS will have plenty of business users on PCs for a time to come but thin clients, BYOD and SaaS/cloud computing are starting to make even the traditional business desktop less pervasive. They're in trouble, and all you have to do is look at their recent actions to see it. Absorbing 34,000 Nokia employees, frequently restructuring, changing management, etc.

I'm not saying people should be jumping off of Windows and using Linux because it's better or whatever, I'm just saying Microsoft is slowly dying.

ex W4HFK
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:17:52 PM »

While probably true, I think it's misleading. This takes into account all Android phones, Linux servers, and markets where Linux is heavily used.  I don't see many people using it as desktop operating systems. The ones I do, are mainly geeks that are very technical minded with computers.

Very true and it is even misleading to use Andriod in mix because while it was based off Linux, It has taken a separate path. I do also question the 40 to 20% thing too.

As of February 2014:
 MS has over 80% of desktop/laptop market, Linux less than 2% based on sales
 MS has 64%, IOS 15% and Linux 15% based on web clients
 MS has abt 33% and Linux has about 39% of server market
 Andriod has 79%, IOS 14%, MS 35% of global smart phone market based on sales

Being that MS is new to mobile market, its share will grow. It remain to be seen whether they will impact IOS or Android more.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:05 PM »

If MicroShaft thinks that Win8 is going to increase their share of the mobile market, it probably will--slightly.  At the same time Win8 is going to--no, make that already has--hurt their share of the traditional computer market.  The proof is that they're looking to try to "give away" reduced price or even free upgrades to Win8.  The latest desperation move proving that 8 is not selling is the offer for up to $100 to switch from XP to 8.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 03:53:40 PM »

Being that MS is new to mobile market, its share will grow. It remain to be seen whether they will impact IOS or Android more.

MS isn't new to the mobile market... this is the third or fourth time they have "reentered" it.

Windows Mobile... Windows Phone 7... Windows Surface... Now Surface II/Windows 8

I'm sure they'll get it right eventually....

ex W4HFK
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »

... MS has over 80% of desktop/laptop market, Linux less than 2% based on sales ...

It might be interesting to know where that data came from. But it really doesn't matter, because the word "market" and the phrase "based on sales" certainly mean something.

Other than a very old version of Red Hat and the lease fees for Red Had Enterprise Linux on the servers where my e-commerce sites (etc.) live, I never paid a dime for any version of Linux.

And neither have countless other people who have either experimented with or actually use Linux daily (like I do).

My point is, there are a lot more people who were fed up with Microsoft and downloaded --and use-- Linux. I can't prove it, but it's certainly more than 2%.

EDIT: Having said all the above, I'm typing this on my Windows 7 laptop. :-)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:19:56 PM by W0BTU » Logged

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: