Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 31831 times)
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »

Yeah when you calculate market share of Windows vs a TOTALLY FREE OS based on sales MS wins every time.

Lmao

ex W4HFK
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 06:39:31 PM »

i gave up fighting sw after struggling with dos,w95-w8.i dont want to be a sw expert, i have lots of other interests.
i have win xp,win 7, win 8 and linux ubuntu. the w7 and w8 machines often come close to a trip to the barn where my 20 pound sledge awaits them. continuous headaches,upgrades, that they cant do while im sleeping, tying me up for 5-10 minutes when i first wiggle the mouse etc bla bla.

my ubuntu machine sometimes is dead after a few days of non use. i pull the plug and replug it in. it boots and runs,ALWAYS, it has not once been the headache the win machines have always been, and still are.
i just want to be an appliance op on computers and linux is a big help.

of the win machines, the xp is the best to just turn on and use.

if xp goes dead ill start junkin out these machines or try ubuntu on them.

need advice on an ez way to boot ubuntu on win xp desktop or w 7 laptop.

meantime im buzy with antennas,tuners special shack projects, hopfully getting outside in the next month or so to look around...tell algore.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »

need advice on an ez way to boot ubuntu on win xp desktop or w 7 laptop.

Perhaps this might be the answer or just run a live CD. Or swap out hard drives (easier with laptops).

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.

Requirements Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5+. Note that resulting USB drives are bootable only on PCs (not on Macs).
    Internet access for downloading a distro to install, or a pre-downloaded ISO file

Features

UNetbootin can create a bootable Live USB drive, or it can make a "frugal install" on your local hard disk if you don't have a USB drive. It loads distributions either by downloading a ISO (CD image) files for you, or by using an ISO file you've already downloaded."

Still using Windows XP Pro.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »

I tried Linux Mint by a boot from a DVD rom drive, and it worked flawlessly.  I was pleasantly surprised that it did--the last Linux I tried was an Ubuntu/Debian version which I had to jump through hoops to get to work at all.
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »

I've been playing around with various distros of Linux since the late '90s, but have used Windows most of the time.  With the WinXP EOL on April 8, I've been looking at other options, including OEM installs of Win7, Linux, or even buying a Mac for OS X.  I have a couple of towers here running Win7 Pro, but several others including all laptops run WinXP Pro.  Last weekend, I decided to take one of my spare hard drives on this Core 2 Duo tower, and install both Xubuntu and Linux Mint 16.  

Overall, I'm very impressed with both, but especially so with Linux Mint (using it for this post) for those migrating from a Windows environment.  From my application software here, I can do everything I need to do on Linux Mint than I can do on WinXP Pro - with the exception of locally-installed income tax software, such as TurboTax, etc.  However - and, yes, there's always a "However," I always tend to run into hardware driver problems with Linux - even though Linux Mint detected my wireless network (very nice), and both my laser and inkjet printers.  With the printers, Linux Mint automatically searches the Internet for the proper Linux drivers, and installs them.  But, the drivers are not the proprietary drivers from the respective manufacturers, rather the available Linux drivers, CUPS BR-Script3 for the Brother laser and CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9 for the Canon inkjet. NOTE:  Neither Brother of Canon supply proprietary drivers for Linux.  In each case, it takes longer to print (far, far longer with the inkjet), plus you lose some of the printer functions from the proprietary drivers available for Windows and OS X.  This is always the bugaboo with Linux, and may keep some from migrating from Windows.

IMO, the biggest problem with Linux is the large number of distros available which tends to confuse people.  If Linux was a bit more focused - as Ubuntu is, for example, at basing their build on Debian), perhaps Linux would gain more market share.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 12:14:43 PM »

You should say if you are not willing to abandon plug and play, easy installs, excellent driver support, standardized GUI and wide application support then you SHOULD NOT use Windows and get a Mac.

W8JX I fixed your error you....see above.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »

You should say if you are not willing to abandon plug and play, easy installs, excellent driver support, standardized GUI and wide application support then you SHOULD NOT use Windows and get a Mac.

Using a Mac is a step backwards on plug and play for sure. Not to mention the 80`s one button mouse how dumb. The only reason Apple is even alive today (and able to invent Iphone and Ipad) is because MS gave them 200 million in 90's to keep them alive so they would not be a monopoly. Apple licenced being able to support Windoze to help sales. It is also funny how Apple for years bragged about using RISC processors as superior then they quietly moved to a Intel platform that supported Windoze. Myself if Mac and Linux were only choices Linux. I have used a Mac and they suck.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »

Using a Mac is a step backwards on plug and play for sure. Not to mention the 80`s one button mouse how dumb. The only reason Apple is even alive today (and able to invent Iphone and Ipad) is because MS gave them 200 million in 90's to keep them alive so they would not be a monopoly. Apple licenced being able to support Windoze to help sales. It is also funny how Apple for years bragged about using RISC processors as superior then they quietly moved to a Intel platform that supported Windoze. Myself if Mac and Linux were only choices Linux. I have used a Mac and they suck.

Sounds like you have drank the Microsoft Coolaid. Typical fanboy!!! Why not read about Microsofts failures:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/07/the-apple-era-begins-as-microsoft-google-shift-to-a-hardware-centric-model

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »

Sounds like you have drank the Microsoft Coolaid. Typical fanboy!!! Why not read about Microsofts failures:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/07/the-apple-era-begins-as-microsoft-google-shift-to-a-hardware-centric-model

No i have used a mac and find them too limited and its like the simple one button mouse and GUI is for the simple minded too!

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »

Not to be a spoilsport, 'GWK, but didn't Apple almost go under a few years ago?  Microsoft was so scared that that may have happened--and that they would then have been a target of those who would have labelled Microsoft THE monopoly of the decade, that I recall that they went ahead and helped Apple out just as the government helped the big three auto makers and the large banks.

They may be digging tooth and nail at each other in some respects, but they do what they have to--including lending a hand--when their respective companies may face bigger problems.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »

LOL, after using a Magic Trackpad and gesture-based navigation, a simple two button mouse seems quaint and old-timey.  Cheesy

http://dashkards.com/magic-trackpad

RE: PNP on Apple: No issues at all with any device I tried to connect to my Macbook, including Ardunio devices, Icom IC-9100, Android phones and tablets, MIDI keyboard controllers, USB audio devices, Web cameras, etc. In most cases I didn't even need to install drivers.
RE: Intel processors. Maybe they switched because Intel got better at building chips and IBM sat on their laurels. The universe isn't static and any company (especially when it's IBM) can get overtaken by any other.
RE: Microsoft pumping cash into Apple: The reality of the story is that Apple had a valid patent infringement case, along with lots of evidence that MS had stolen Quicktime code. The two had been in and out of court for years over patent infringements. With the deal, Bill Gates put an end to the patent cases, settled the potential Quicktime case and got a bunch of stock in a company that was at a low point. Microsoft later sold the stock for more than the settlement, got Apple off it's back through a patent sharing deal, and managed to keep a profitable business arm (Office for Macintosh) alive, so it turned out to be quite a good investment.
RE: Mac -vs- Linux: the underlying code that runs OS X is Mach, a fork of Unix developed at Carnegie Mellon University. It came to Apple via their purchase of NeXT. I've run Linux for years and making the change from Ubuntu to OS X was far less jarring than going from Windows to Linux. Most, if not all, the familiar commands in Linux will work exactly the same in OS X. Yes, the GUI is completely different when comparing OS X to Gnome, but it's not so different that it can't be learned in a few hours or days.

Now, as for disadvantages of Apple OS X:
  • You're stuck with their hardware. Want a better graphics card? Too bad. Don't want Thunderbolt? You're getting it anyway
  • Dearth of applications, especially niche programs like for ham radio. Developers sometimes hostile to the platform.
  • Closed source developer tools. Porting applications from Linux should be a simple task, but because there's only one developer platform it is very difficult.
  • Lack of support. You basically end up back at the Apple store for hardware problems. They won't sell you parts unless they install them, so you end up at their mercy
  • Form over function. Jobs was great because he could find the balance between the two. Now that he's gone, I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of Jonny Ive's design take center stage over usability or robust construction. Much like car manufacturers in 1950s, Apple's products may be heading to a "planned obsolesce backed by radical design changes" model

I'll continue to run Linux alongside OS X (and Windows, iOS, and Android). I don't really think a single platform makes sense for every use, just like I wouldn't take my road bike out on the slick rock trails in Moab. A Leatherman can do a lot of things in a pinch, but it can't replace a well stocked tool kit no matter how good it becomes.

Oh, and one last disadvantage: rampant fanboy-ism! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:07:46 PM by K0JEG » Logged
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 04:58:06 PM »

Just want to add that if you want to play around with OSX without spending $$$$$ at an apple store you can always build a hackintosh from PC parts. You have to be pretty savvy with computers and you won't get any support from apple but plenty of people have taken this route and have very stable systems. There are plenty of online guides and as long as you follow them and use supported hardware it's relatively straightforward.

ex W4HFK
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »

FWIW I picked up some PC's last year from the Shopgoodwill web site, all Dell Optiplex models in the 2008-2010 range complete with a Vista Business COA on the case. Around that same time I found a swapmeet vendor selling CD's for a buck each that happened to include some OEM Dell restore disks. All I know is that Vista Business 32 bit has been solid for me over a six month span on several machines. The Dell web site is good for the drivers and the install goes well when I remember to download the drivers before I start. Maybe I have the only version of Vista that's worth a rip but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... The only downside is the nearly endless number of running upgrades after a clean install but maybe one or more of them are responsible for the luck I've had.

On the other hand, I have some older HP flatbed scanners that are perfectly functional except HP offers no drivers beyond Win XP. Let's just say if I was on Facebook HP would definitely be un-friended for orphaning my scanners. I could go back to XP but Vista is prettier and works just as well for me. I have this machine rigged dual boot with SolydXK and Linux supports the scanner straight out of the box, which is how I know the scanner works FB. Damn shame SolydXK has a quirk about how it sets time. Vista doesn't understand a GMT offset, Solykd doesn't understand no offset for CDST. You'd think this would be doable but I've yet to find a control panel option to make it happen......... Aside from that SolydXK works well.

Never change a password on a Friday                
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 07:51:09 PM »

While this article is accurate on Micro$oft's failures, and Google/Android's issues as well  you have to remember that is comes from an Apple-centric (or Apple-owned?) website, and the fanboi-ism goes beyond nauseous, to the point of being a bit delusional.

For the record, I own 3 Android smartphones.  The older Motorola and LG Spectrum phones are far from perfect, but I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - all issues other than WiFi coverage on the older phones are Android-related, mostly due to poor or nonexistent testing of newer versions of the OS on older hardware (because those models had been discontinued, and neither Google nor the phone manufacturer gave a crap).

If the author of this article thinks that everybody's going to an Apple-style hardware/software-absolute-controlled business model, I have desert-landscaped property in Redmond WA to sell him. Wink

ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »

Have you done an internet search for operating issues related to your laptop?

Nope, and I am not going to. I simply did it to see what the state of Linux was since I last used it, and it still has the same quirky problems. Sure, I know of the Ubuntu support forum and I have an account there, and I can go there and collect the 5 or 10 different solutions and command line hacks and it might fix it, but I simply have no time to futz with it. It isn't worth my time.

Sounds like Windows 8 is made for you.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: