Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 32816 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 05:10:46 AM »

Sounds like Windows 8 is made for you.

i agree - it works and all my applications for ham radio work without hassles.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »

need advice on an ez way to boot ubuntu on win xp desktop or w 7 laptop.

Perhaps this might be the answer or just run a live CD. Or swap out hard drives (easier with laptops).

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

"UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.

Requirements Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5+. Note that resulting USB drives are bootable only on PCs (not on Macs).
    Internet access for downloading a distro to install, or a pre-downloaded ISO file

Features

UNetbootin can create a bootable Live USB drive, or it can make a "frugal install" on your local hard disk if you don't have a USB drive. It loads distributions either by downloading a ISO (CD image) files for you, or by using an ISO file you've already downloaded."

sorry, i got lost and missed this. i will try it soon, tnx.
w9wqa
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 05:42:46 PM »

my ubuntu IS the one machine i can depend on to work when the others get fussy. printing trouble?.
i use a brother laser flawlessly. no more inkling with ink for me!
the system updates simply and routinly and i have drifted away from the forum where the command line guys loved to confuse me!!
I DID NOT go to linux to relearn dos!!!
for computers i had my day programming in assm and basic. today in computers i am happily an "appliance op"! linux did it.

i still cant get my win 7 lap to boot a linux cd?? it dont want to boot cd.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:48:11 PM by W9WQA » Logged
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 06:17:44 PM »

my Ubuntu IS the one machine i can depend on to work when the others get fussy. printing trouble?.
i use a brother laser flawlessly. no more inkling with ink for me!
the system updates simply and routinely ...
I DID NOT go to Linux to relearn dos!!!
for computers i had my day programming in assm and basic. today in computers i am happily an "appliance op"! Linux did it.

Smiley

You probably just need to go into the BIOS setup at boot time, and temporarily change the boot device.

If you have a separate drive or partition, and install Linux, you'll wind up with a boot menu where you can select the OS.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 09:41:34 PM »

There is also UNetbootin

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

"Introduction

UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. It runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .iso file if you've already downloaded one or your preferred distribution isn't on the list.
Requirements

Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, or Linux, or Mac OS X 10.5+. Note that resulting USB drives are bootable only on PCs (not on Macs).
    Internet access for downloading a distro to install, or a pre-downloaded ISO file

Features

UNetbootin can create a bootable Live USB drive, or it can make a "frugal install" on your local hard disk if you don't have a USB drive. It loads distributions either by downloading a ISO (CD image) files for you, or by using an ISO file you've already downloaded. "

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:03 PM »

it would be great entertainment to watch a total newcomer to computers be handed a gift of a win8 computer! and see how long,if ever they could do something worthwhile with it,AND THEN, a day later see how long it takes to do it AGAIN!!
im lucky to keep mine looking like win7 or xp , and no i dont want a course in use, i just want to turn it on and check my mail.

i still find my ubuntu the most direct and reliable.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2014, 07:07:15 AM »

Update--I installed Linux Mint 16 (Cinnamon) on a spare machine, then started it from the hard drive.  What happened?  Cinnamon crashed as soon as it came up, and kept crashing when the option to restart was chosen.

Turns out there is a flaw--that is known and published on the web--with the latest version of Mint/Cinnamon, with a 'work around' to get the OS up and running.

So much for Linux being superior to Windows, it has the same problem.  It's conceived and written by human beings who are imperfect to begin with!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2014, 12:00:51 PM »

To be fair about it, I downloaded and installed Linux Mint 16 with the Mate desktop, and it appears to run fine.
KD9AQX

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 11:21:17 AM »

I think it's pretty clear the OP doesn't want his Linux problems solved.  Some people are fine with the product they get for the money they paid where Windows is concerned, and that's fine.  To each their own.

I do find it a bit surprising, however, to see a ham who isn't interested in doing any amount of fiddling with a tech product to get it working correctly.  That just doesn't seem to compute.  (See what I did there?)

I must also say that I don't think it's fair or relevant to take one most simplistic stab at something as complex as installing an operating system and consider the first problem encountered to be a reasonable indictment of the entire platform.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »

I think it's pretty clear the OP doesn't want his Linux problems solved.  Some people are fine with the product they get for the money they paid where Windows is concerned, and that's fine.  To each their own.

I do find it a bit surprising, however, to see a ham who isn't interested in doing any amount of fiddling with a tech product to get it working correctly.  That just doesn't seem to compute.  (See what I did there?)

I must also say that I don't think it's fair or relevant to take one most simplistic stab at something as complex as installing an operating system and consider the first problem encountered to be a reasonable indictment of the entire platform.

Not to be rude but its clear that the op doesn't really know what he's doing with computers. I have yet to find a system that I couldn't get a copy of Linux running on right out of the box. Yes there might be some tweaking but remember Google is your friend. Almost all modern distros boot to a live version to test all the hw on your system. Linux has come a long way and its ready for prime time, all it needs is one of the big SW houses to release their product in a native Linux version and watch out...hint Adobe. As a professional photographer the only place Linx falls a bit short is color managment but for hams that's neither here nor there.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »

so i finally cliked on this link and found endless reading. i dont know what im doing. ive been spoiled rotten by a good working linux,(recently died then came back)
so i dont know where to start. i tried one place and it took me ? to cloud??

lost. as often am.
WB8LBZ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »

I know where the guy is coming from. I have been there a few times. I had a system that was Windows 7 with a Ubuntu boot option. Then Windows did a self destruct and I didn't have access to my files. I solved it with a CD of Ubuntu booted to a live CD and my files were all there for moving to a thumb drive. Fast forward a year or so and I upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04. I now have video problems/system problems and have dialogue boxes popping up telling me there has been a system error. I'm going to give Windows another try. I will keep Ubuntu 13.10 as an alternate boot but I miss the software I have access to in Windows.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 02:24:06 AM »

update, all is well!.  i copied what  files i wanted to the hd. the ssd is ok again???
i cant figure it!
i need to relearn what i learned 2 yrs ago! i cant even find the command line,??
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:09 AM »

Not to be rude but its clear that the op doesn't really know what he's doing with computers.

LOL!  Cheesy

I've worked with computers and PCs my whole career, built many PCs from scratch for work and home, and installed Linux multiple times on PCs. I did sys admin duties as well at work.

You really don't understand the thread. It's not a matter of if I can get it to work. It's a matter of if I want to these days.

I simply do not care to invest any time making Ubuntu work when I can go an easier route and use all the windows software I already have. That's all it amounts to as far as this thread goes.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »

Oh I understand
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: