Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 32812 times)
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »

K7LTF,

I agree and disagree with you. I feel that Linux as it stands today is ready for the big time but it will take the involvement of some big software houses to adapt to it to get the ball rolling. What if Adobe released Photoshop in native Linux or if Micro$oft released Office in native Linux? Yes there are alternatives to these but as good as they are they are not quite the same. As a photographer if Photoshop was native to Linux I would be all over it. Yes I do have CS2 running under wine but CS5 is better and wine can be buggy.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »

While you guys are busy devising workarounds to make Linux move the mouse, I'll be over here using Windows to do what I want, not letting the OS make me work to appease it.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »

I have that same HP model.....Xubuntu 12.04 installed and ran fine the 1st time.
I sure cant say that for Vista!....
BTW...that model is known for video issues.

It's plain to see the org. poster was just a troll, he never
gave Linux a chance.

In the last 2 years I have installed Xubuntu 12.04 on over 15 computers at work and
have not had even ONE fail to install the 1st time.

KT4WO
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »

In the last 2 years I have installed Xubuntu 12.04 on over 15 computers at work and have not had even ONE fail to install the 1st time.

Xubuntu 12.04 is a winner. I'm replying to this on my shack PC, which is running Xubuntu 12.04.  Smiley

I'm 98.9% convinced that there are trolls hams paid by Microsoft to slam everything Linux on this very web site. And I know from other posts that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

There are Linux distros that are not that great. That's a given. But the same is true of Windows.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 08:42:22 AM by W0BTU » Logged

WAVEYDIPOLE

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »

Eh, use Linux Mint instead of Ubuntu. Short story..after Ubuntu forced Unity on the masses...the masses left Ubuntu in droves. After Microsoft saw what Ubuntu did to it's operating system by forcing Unity on everyone. Emballmer decided to try the same with Metro and got the same results as Ubuntu did.....great minds think alike.

Go with Linux Mint instead, it is a refined Ubuntu and everything Ubuntu tried to be...but couldn't. And all the codecs and wifi work out of the box. When you burn the ISO, burn it at the slowest speed....

Had to smile when I read this as I was one of the frustrated Ubuntu users who abandoned the OS for that reason. I was equally frustrated with Metro on Windows 8, but I recently bought my wife a Windows 8 laptop with a touch screen and on this it actually works reasonably well. Without a touch screen it seems to be a very frustrating experience although with some patience one can get accustomed to it. The absence of a Start menu and program menu on the desktop (which was done to force the issue) is still a big mistake and makes it awkward to launch desktop programs.

I did try Mint, but had problems with it, although that was more than a year ago and perhaps still early days. In the end I settled on Xubuntu which worked OK. Linux seems to require a lot of tweaking and messing about but it can be useful for some purposes if you have the time. It will not likely become mainstream because few, if any, large commercial software outfits are writing applications for it, although I heard recently that the Chinese government is banning Windows 8 in favor of Linux.....

For my Windows machines I bypassed Vista and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 64bit which worked out very well for me.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

While you guys are busy devising workarounds to make Linux move the mouse, I'll be over here using Windows to do what I want, not letting the OS make me work to appease it.

You are showing your ignorance regarding modern Linux based distributions.

Rick KK4GGL
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2014, 06:22:03 PM »

You are showing your ignorance regarding modern Linux based distributions.
+1
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2014, 07:50:49 AM »

I also have to agree.  Linux works just as well as Windows does in most instances including peripherals and video sizing.  It does have to catch up a little as far as desktop and color goes, but those are minor points.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:24 PM »

That was the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board.  It's a complete, absolute falsehood, it has been for close to 15 years, and you know it.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »

Consider Linux? I did and ... I'm still using it Shocked

- was using win 3x, then win 98x, and still have win XP,
but, now, have been using Mint for several years. ..

why keep XP?? - printing is A.ok, but scanning from Linux is not. Sad
- so, for the occasional need for scanning some document for some insurance company.
- it basically doesn't go on-line anymore.

the PCs around here, will gradually get updated to Mint 17 LTS, over time.

- don't like what was done to Ubuntu recently, or even to Windows.
& so won't use either.
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »

- don't like what was done to Ubuntu recently, ...

I assume you mean that abomination, Unity.  Fortunately Ubuntu has lots of desktop environment options. I am using Xubuntu. Mint is decent as well, based on Ubuntu.

...  or even to Windows.

With Windows you're stuck with one option for the Desktop environment that Microsoft forces on us.
N4AAB

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:52 AM »

There are over a thousand versions of linux out there.

Last year I bought a clearance desktop computer from Wal-Mart. I went over to a bookstore and bought a Linux distro magazine with 7 live distros on it. Took it home and tried them on the computer. The screen messages said two of them would work with the hardware. I installed Mint. I'll use it after I move, but it seems well done for the text and a few other things I'll be using it for. I might install a cheap Express video card on it.

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

- don't like what was done to Ubuntu recently, ...

I assume you mean that abomination, Unity.  Fortunately Ubuntu has lots of desktop environment options. I am using Xubuntu. Mint is decent as well, based on Ubuntu.

I'm using Xubuntu 14.04 on the Zotak ZBox "net-top" machine that I use in the shack.  It formerly had Mint 16, but it was very slow.  So far, Xubuntu has worked perfectly on this box.  Everything I need is just there, and the required NVidia driver (the default Nouveau driver locks up within a half an hour on this box, regardless of distro) has had no issues. 

It does have problems when running in a Vmware virtual machine under Win7 Pro, however -- shared folders do not work.
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »

I've had Linux (or BSD) on one or more of my computers since 1995.  It's a great hobby, and if you enjoy playing with computers, it's the way to go.  But I've settled on Windows for my main OS now because I'd rather spend my time doing other things and I generally prefer Windows applications.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »

I've had Linux (or BSD) on one or more of my computers since 1995.  It's a great hobby, and if you enjoy playing with computers, it's the way to go.  But I've settled on Windows for my main OS now because I'd rather spend my time doing other things and I generally prefer Windows applications.

I use opensuse for some of the same reasons above.

Rick KK4GGL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: