Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consider Linux? I did and ...  (Read 34875 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »

Linux is great for certain things, but unfortunately even with Microsoft being completely incompetent for 4 years under Balmer and Apple distracted by iphones and ipads, Linux has still not been able to use the opportunity to stream line their product and make it have mass appeal.   Linux IMHO biggest problem is that it is stuck to it's core base just like Apple, except Apple has a huge core base so being stuck in there is pretty good.  In Linux's case their core base is uber geeks, which is such a small base and yet they still cling to them for dear life.   Linux needs to get with the 2000's and start making a truly user friendly OS, not this half baked one that still pays homage to the uber geek Gods.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »

Which Linux?

It works wonderful for me and countless others.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »

Linux needs to get with the 2000's and start making a truly user friendly OS, not this half baked one that still pays homage to the uber geek Gods.

My guess is that is what Ubuntu and Mint are trying to do.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »

"Trying" is the key word.  They still have not been able to make it user friendly to the point of MS or Apple.  My Linux friends tell me they like it that way!  I guess most of the base likes it that way and therefore it will always have a low user base.
W9WQA

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 07:08:55 PM »

it will always have a low user base.

so based on that i should drop my favorite machine?!!  and im now an appliance op!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2014, 04:35:44 AM »

With the way Windoze is going (that infernal 'metro' interface) and the way you have to jump through hoops just to change some basic settings, I don't doubt that Ubuntu and especially Mint are going to get more attention.  That is if Microsoft doesn't smarten up and give the consumers what they want. 

The days of Microsoft dictating what they shall give us in the new operating systems have gone by, the consumer is starting to tell the OS producers what THEY want, and Linux--Mint especially--is going to come into widespread notice, as they are starting to now.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »

With the way Windoze is going (that infernal 'metro' interface) and the way you have to jump through hoops just to change some basic settings, I don't doubt that Ubuntu and especially Mint are going to get more attention.  That is if Microsoft doesn't smarten up and give the consumers what they want.  

The days of Microsoft dictating what they shall give us in the new operating systems have gone by, the consumer is starting to tell the OS producers what THEY want, and Linux--Mint especially--is going to come into widespread notice, as they are starting to now.

I couldn't agree more. Windows 8 is a big reason why the company I work for decided to move to the Mac platform.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 06:25:03 AM by K2GWK » Logged

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

With the way Windoze is going (that infernal 'metro' interface) and the way you have to jump through hoops just to change some basic settings, I don't doubt that Ubuntu and especially Mint are going to get more attention.  That is if Microsoft doesn't smarten up and give the consumers what they want. 

Ironically something almost similar happened with Linux. For quite awhile Ubuntu was the leading Linux OS. Then Ubuntu came out with Unity and that hastened the downfall of Ubuntu.

By that time Linux Mint was on the scene for awhile and when Unity was promoted as the main desktop on Ubuntu, Linux Mint started to get more popular. Ironically Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu but tweaked to work out of the box with the least amount of hassle for a Linux distro.

Still using Windows XP Pro.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »

... Ubuntu came out with Unity and that hastened the downfall of Ubuntu.

The fix for that is simply to install another GUI (just try THAT with Windows!). I use XFCE, which turned Ubuntu into Xubuntu. I love it. Smiley

N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 06:56:40 PM »

Another vote for Linux Mint.

My hardware is such that it's not worth spending the $$ to get it all into shape to run Win7/8 - and then there's the cost of multiple Win7 licenses too. Issues were mostly graphics related.

I have recently set up my Asus netbook to dual boot XP/Linux, my Dell laptop the same except I clicked on the wrong thing and so it's now linux only (woops). Desktop, 9yr old Dell, is now dual boot as well. Everything was discovered etc, HP scanner/printer works, networking all OK, a far cry from Slackware in the 1990s Smiley

Haven't found a DX cluster client yet. Shack PC is on Windows Vista so it'll be supported for a while.

The nice thing about Mint is that you can burn a bootable DVD and run from that as a trial to see if your PC likes it, networking is OK and so on, all without having to actually install anything. Try it !
http://www.linuxmint.com/

73, Paul
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:34:26 PM by N5PG » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2014, 05:36:23 AM »

...The nice thing about Mint is that you can burn a bootable DVD and run from that as a trial to see if your PC likes it, networking is OK and so on, all without having to actually install anything. Try it !

Just be careful of the Mint/Cinnamon combination.  I did burn a bootable disk to try it and that combination worked fine--but when I actually loaded Mint/Cinnamon onto a hard disk (I used a spare desktop unit I had) the Cinnamon desktop crashed every time.  Turns out that there is a problem with the version 2 releases of Cinnamon that is documented and that has been worked around by some--check the web--that didn't occur with the last release.

Mint with the Mate desktop works just fine, though, and I have no doubt that once the problem with Cinnamon is worked out that the Mint/Cinnamon combination will too.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »

... Ubuntu came out with Unity and that hastened the downfall of Ubuntu.

The fix for that is simply to install another GUI (just try THAT with Windows!). I use XFCE, which turned Ubuntu into Xubuntu. I love it. Smiley

I think the best approach for the long term is to install a distribution that is not fixed to whatever is the trendy desktop at the moment. Try something like Debian, Gentoo (what I use), etc. It will take a little more time to learn but after that you can switch to whatever GUI you want to use, setup servers without GUI's, etc.

Tor
N4OGW
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »

...The nice thing about Mint is that you can burn a bootable DVD and run from that as a trial to see if your PC likes it, networking is OK and so on, all without having to actually install anything. Try it !

Just be careful of the Mint/Cinnamon combination.  I did burn a bootable disk to try it and that combination worked fine--but when I actually loaded Mint/Cinnamon onto a hard disk (I used a spare desktop unit I had) the Cinnamon desktop crashed every time.  Turns out that there is a problem with the version 2 releases of Cinnamon that is documented and that has been worked around by some--check the web--that didn't occur with the last release.

Mint with the Mate desktop works just fine, though, and I have no doubt that once the problem with Cinnamon is worked out that the Mint/Cinnamon combination will too.

I'm using Mate, I guess ignorance was bliss  Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2014, 11:02:24 AM »

I think the best approach for the long term is to install a distribution that is not fixed to whatever is the trendy desktop at the moment. Try something like Debian, Gentoo (what I use), etc. It will take a little more time to learn but after that you can switch to whatever GUI you want to use, setup servers without GUI's, etc.

Just for the sake of discussion, that kind of defeats the purpose of getting behind one distribution to expand it so as to push Microshaft out, doesn't it?  I mean that you're kinda right on one account, but kinda wrong on another! 

Added:  In any event, if that (getting behind one distribution) is to be done, it stands to reason that Ubuntu or one of its branches, so to say, should be the one to get behind.  It further stands that Mint seems to be the hands down most popular right now.

Hey!  I'm not arguing for it, I'm just saying that that is about the only way to derail Microsoft's grip on the OS industry in some form.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:06:26 AM by K1CJS » Logged
KF7TLF

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

I'm a prior Gentoo developer and am pretty active with the Funtoo project right now. In my opinion Linux is to the computer world what Amateur Radio is to the communications world. I don't think Linux will ever really get and super strong traction because it's very much a specialty system to the common consumer. HAMs love radios, Linux users love Linux. Put an HF rig in someone's living room cart blanche and they'll likely never know how to use it. Same with Linux.

I've never really been a big fan of Ubuntu, though I have used it, nor have I really been a big fan of any distribution for that matter. Gentoo/Funtoo is as close to a vanilla linux experience as you can get to. My reasons for choosing Gentoo/Funtoo over LFS (Linux From Scratch) is that I absolutely love Portage (their package manager) and how flexible and customizable it is. Strip away Portage and you have LFS, and it doesn't get any more bare than that.

To whit, the reason why Ubuntu was as popular as it was is because it was Linux for the masses. For a while that was their slogan way back in the day. They have a fairly stable financial backing and Canonical isn't just about Ubuntu.

You won't get that with Gentoo/Funtoo. What you WILL get is what I'd like to think is the Amateur Extra equivalent of expertise in Linux and you'll find that you can run Gentoo/Funtoo on pretty much ANYTHING. My Macbook Pro? Funtoo. My old Samsung Galaxy Nexus? Gentoo. My HP Touchpad? Funtoo.

Yes, your investment in time will be higher ramping up with Gentoo or Funtoo and yes you'll have to invest time into really learning Linux, and I don't just mean how to push buttons. Then again... you had to put in that kind of time to getting your AE Smiley Put the two together and you can't even begin to imagine what kind of possibilities are at your fingertips that you'd have never thought of before.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: