Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people not take good care of there equipment?  (Read 18564 times)
KA5ROW

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:26:19 PM »

Why do people not take good care of there equipment:

If you look on e-bay you see radio after radio scratch up beat up and the same goes for amps. If I buy a new rig, it will still look almost new 10 years later. I bought a woman's make up brush to remove any dust on buttons and knobs, I even put a big beach towel over the equipment. Now you can see a few marks on my TL-922A but I bought it used. I wouldn't mind having a Kenwood TS-530 or TS-830 but I would like one to be nearly spotless. Baby you equipment,
KG6YSF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »

I believe that the main reason is that a lot of hams these days study the answers to the questions and not the the actual information and there for do not know what they can touch and not touch inside the radio as well as what to use to clean that will not damage anything.
For instance I had a TBI and cannot remember much of anything for more than a few minutes to a few hours. I seem to remember the basics that are used frequently like radio procedure and etiquette, but not the electronic principals. It seems to drive me just as nuts as my fellow hams.

"Rangers Lead The Way!"  "Sua Sponte"   "Litalis Velox Silens"
When all else fails ham radio is there!
FT2900, FT8900, VX6, Ft60, TS940SAT, Drake TR7, MFJ 969
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:07:15 PM »

I think that quite a few have OCD. Some mild cases, some extreme. I don't mind a few blemishes and sure don't baby my equipment. I guess it's up to you whether you can live with a few dings and wear.

And I bet we all differ considerably in rating the condition of equipment.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:43:39 AM »

Once upon a time many of us had only ONE radio and were intent taking good care of it just to stay on the air.  Now there are seven in a guy's shack and he wants more. 
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »

They dont take care of their radios because they are just slobs.  Lips sealed Lips sealed They probably dont brush their teeth but once a week or change their underware very often either. Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:18:42 AM by SWMAN » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »

They dont take care of their radios because they are just slobs.

Some truth in that. Smiley Notice the cars in hamfest parking lots.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:10:59 AM »

Some of that can also be from accidents. The cat/ dog/cleaning lady screwed up.   Wink
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »

Don't even bother with eBay. It's become a dumping ground for broken rigs. Too many "it worked the last time I used it", "I'm selling for a friend", "it's from my father's (sk) collection and I don't know how to test it", yadda-yadda. The worst are estate sales where everything got thrown in a truck and some clueless person is trying to auction the stuff off, not knowing anything about the equipment's condition. Occasionally you'll see like new or new rigs posted but then the bidding wars drives the price way over it's true value.

You'll find better equipment here on eHam as well as qth.com and qrz.com. There you'll be able to confirm that the seller is in fact a ham and often you'll be able to talk with them on the phone or on the air and be able to get a better idea of the equipment's condition and why they are selling it.
KC6RCM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »

As already noted, those who don't take care of their equipment, probably do not take care of anything else they own... including themselves.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:29:19 PM »

I don't mind a few blemishes and sure don't baby my equipment. I guess it's up to you whether you can live with a few dings and wear.

My TS440SAT got a ding courtesy of the movers.   Angry   But, when you are moving, there's a ton of stuff to deal with, and this event got pushed down the stack and forgotten about.   Sad
NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:19:25 PM »

Once upon a time many of us had only ONE radio and were intent taking good care of it just to stay on the air. 

Like all the boat anchors out there - perfect condition - except for the thick layer of tar and nicotine on them.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:33:42 PM »

Just like Felix and Oscar. lol
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:21 PM »

Why do some men beat up their wives?
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 09:06:33 PM »

I really don't want to get into a sexual discussion.
PA1ZP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »

Hi

i think that 1 answer for this might be that Hf rigs have become much cheaper the last 50 yrs.
Other answer could be that some hams have more money then braines.

73 Jos
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: