Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people not take good care of there equipment?  (Read 18080 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

Some people don't take care of anything they own. I'll bet the guys who have grungy ham equipment also drive cars with McDonald's wrappers strewn all over and a trunk full of junk.
VE3TMT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »

I think that quite a few have OCD. Some mild cases, some extreme. I don't mind a few blemishes and sure don't baby my equipment. I guess it's up to you whether you can live with a few dings and wear.

And I bet we all differ considerably in rating the condition of equipment.

That's me! Even my coax lines run parallel!
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »

Those without sin please cast the first radio.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »

This really falls into the "who cares" bin. Unless you are buying it, what difference does the condition make? If a person is happy with what they have, what business is it of anyone what the condition looks like. And if you are looking to buy it, unless it is the last one on the planet, can't you just say "this is not for me" and walk away, right?

As for me, I use my equipment. I haul it to ARES events. I always use my radio for field day. I haul my radio outside when playing with antennas and such. I haul it around on vacations. And when it is in the shack, it is always on and at the ready. It never sits long enough in 1 place to gather dust. I am not running a museum here. Nor do I want to. I bought the equipment to use, not to polish and keep pretty. That is for people with nothing better to do!

Ooops! Best quit writing now and get out the paste wax! Yea right.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:30 AM »

My house looks lived in - isn't that what it is for.  It is not a showcase, I am not out to impress people with my house.  I live there, eat there, poop there, and sleep there.  Don't come to my house if you are looking for a model home.  My radio gear is for hamming, not for show.  I try to take care of it, pretty much, but I am not one who covers it with terry cloth custom built covers and sits and looks at it or has it just to show to others.  Equipment gets dusty and dirty over time, especially mobile stuff.  If you've ever eaten fast food in your vehicle you know that no matter how careful you are, you are going to end up with salt on your steering column, food stains on the seat, and little splats of dried soda on your console.  It is going to happen.  I am willing to bet that most computers have a pretty good layer of dust in them as well.  So I really don't care how a ham treats his/her equipment. It just depends on one's personality and tolerance for such things.  Some people drive fancy cars and detail them every weekend, some drive 30 year old beaters and half the accessories don't work on them.  To each his own.  Enjoy the hobby, life is too short to worry about such things.  All in my opinion of course.

AE5QB/Tom
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »

This really falls into the "who cares" bin. Unless you are buying it, what difference does the condition make? If a person is happy with what they have, what business is it of anyone what the condition looks like.

I don't care what other people's equipment looks like because I never buy used gear. I do find it amusing to wander around hamfests looking at what people are selling. Some of the stuff I see looks like the owner spent the last forty years blowing cigar smoke at it and then tied it to his bumper and dragged it behind his car for the 100 mile drive to the hamfest.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »

I've always take care my rigs even  when i'm working on i place the towel on my workbench as well !!

Jackie

N4MJG
Been hamming since 2001
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »

To each his own, but I keep my equipment in pristine condition.
Over cleaning can really do more damage than good, so I keep my stuff covered so I don't have to clean off the dust very often.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 06:20:00 PM »

I take due diligence, but s--t happens.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 02:24:15 AM »

For solid state rigs dirty or clean is fine, to each his own, but for hollow state rigs if you keep them to clean you will miss that REAL ham smell from dust burning off the tubes.
WN4V

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »

Not caring for ham gear properly is just another reflection of how an individual lives. Care for it properly and it will give you faithful service. If you let it deteriorate into gear that looks like "something the cat dragged in..." then whatever else you own in life is usually treated in the same way, i.e., your workbench, your car, your home, your clothes, your teeth..... and your loo. It's an attitude learned early in life and passed down from parents to offspring. It's also just another way to say to the world....well, you know. 
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »

There is a big difference between normal and OCD.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »

Not caring for ham gear properly is just another reflection of how an individual lives.
I disagree. There is a big difference between museum, cared for but used, and the neglected. When my 897 fell in the mud, it sure didn't look museum quality, but it isn't neglected either. But it still shows traces of that fall, but since it works just fine after its cleaning, that's all that counts. Does that mean everything I have is like that, well, yes. I buy things to use them, not sit there and polish them. Does that mean everything from my yard to my teeth are a mess, no. Bo don't be so quick to judge unless you know every detail about every person. Cause I have seen museum pieces in homes where they are slobs.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »

KG6YSF, I just read your post about TBI.  Sorry to hear that, and thank you for your service and bravery in defense of our nation.  Airborne all the way!  From a leg who is the son of Airborne, and he is now SK.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 05:50:35 AM »

There may be (in some people's minds) a big difference between showroom/museum kept, and reasonably maintained and used, but there IS a BIGGER difference between reasonably maintained and banged up and thrown around.  If I wanted showroom quality, the rig would never leave the box--except to be looked at!  And there is the problem, I buy a rig to USE it, not to LOOK AT it.  

My rigs were on a desktop that was used for ham radio, computers and other things.  No, it wasn't a workbench--but it wasn't a pristine showcase either.  As far as day to day, shit happens.  You try to be reasonably careful.  It always doesn't work that way.  That's the way I want it, and unless I'm trying to sell a rig, I don't give a d*mn what people say about the condition of my equipment.  

I'll tell you one thing.  If someone doesn't like how my equipment looks--and says that to my face, they'll never have to worry about looking at it again, they'll never be back in my shack!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:56:34 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: