Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another logging program question...sorry.  (Read 5708 times)
W0XXX

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:19 AM »

Sorry to do this, but I need to chew up bandwidth for another contest logging question...

I'm a simple guy, and only looking for a PC based (MAC is ok too) which will log quickly, and interface with a kwyer, or have one built into the program. Radio control is not needed (I have a TS-930).

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:54:15 AM »

Sorry to do this, but I need to chew up bandwidth for another contest logging question...

Why do it then?Huh Logger suggestions and threads are rampant here on eham. Not hard to find - think Search.

I'm a simple guy

Simple answers for Simple Hams:

N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM
N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM N1MM

LMAO

Stan K9IUQ
W0XXX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »

So...what you are saying is....

Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:43 AM »

I strongly recommend N1MM.

I have used other logging software when guest operating at other stations, but always am glad to come back to N1MM at home :-)

I use N1MM with my WinKey USB keyer (which I also highly recommend!) but if need be it will also do serial or parallel port keying.

There are a lot of "features" in any logging program but if you stick to the basic F1, F2, F4 and "log it" key, you will have the basics down of any of the contest loggers.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 03:30:24 AM »

As others have pointed out N1MM is widely used, but if you are looking for something simpler take a look at the SD by EI5DI logging program here. It doesn't have all the features of N1MM but you aren't looking for many features - and SD is very easy to use.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:54:34 AM »

Tim, What is the advantage of using Winkey with N1MM?  I use N1MM with K3 and serial keying.  I can also use my paddles connected to the K3.  -Joe
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:22:58 AM by KB3KJS » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:48 AM »

Tim, What is the advantage of using Winkey with N1MM?  I use N1MM with K3 and serial keying.  I can also use my paddles connected to the K3.  -Joe

I like when using the K1EL Winkey, that the paddles and the computer generated code are at the same speed.

I also feel that the computer generated code using K1EL Winkey, is more even and consistent than when using serial keying where it seems that sometimes when the load on the computer is high that the timing gets inconsistent.

I do not have a K3 at home (I have a Ten Tec Eagle) but I have guest op'ed at several contest stations using K3's in major contests.

I do not feel the disadvantage of serial generated keying is huge especially when the exchanges are simple. eg. CQ WW. But if the exchange is complex (e.g. Sweepstakes) I like the ability to seamlessly switch between computer keying and paddle keying at same speed, that the K1EL winkeyer gives, this lets me naturally ask for fills etc. using the paddles at exactly same speed and tempo as the computer keying.

I have actually been in discussion with a major local multi-multi trying to convince them to go the way of the K1EL Winkey. I feel awkward using serial generated keying there, it is usually OK, but sometimes when there's a big computer load the timing is just messed up on the serial keying. There is some folklore out there about whether this is due to computer or rig firmware; I strongly feel that the issue is NOT the K3 rig firmware because I've done high speed CW with other K3's and the K1EL winkeyer just fine.

Tim N3QE
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:47:16 AM by N3QE » Logged
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »

Tim, you can command messages to the K3 over the serial port.  Is that what you're talking about, Joe?  I believe that works with N1MM, but it doesn't work with all contest loggers.  Many more support the WKUSB than support commanding keying messages.  The kind of keying that Tim is talking about is an older interface that is reliant on the real-time capabilities of the computer/software you're running.  I think in practice modern PCs are pretty good in this regard, but they are starting to lack the RS232 and LPT hardware required to use it.

If you can embed radio commands in your keying messages (for any logger), you can do most of what you need.  The big problems are variable data like the other station's call and serial numbers that not all loggers support embedding with the commands.  If somebody knows how to do this with TR (variants), I'd like to know.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »

Tim, you can command messages to the K3 over the serial port.  Is that what you're talking about, Joe?

Just to clear up what I wrote... when I wrote of my "serial keying" experiences with N1MM and K3, I meant setups that used the DTR (pin 4) of the serial comm port to do on-off keying. I believe what I had experienced as "serial keying", was exactly as described in N1MM and K3 documentation.

Ethan, I too have read that ASCII can be embedded in command messages to be sent over serial data lines to key the K3 over the serial port... I think same goes for Ten-Tec Orion's but using a Ten-Tec style command set... but I have no experience with those methods. I think I have heard K3 users call these "KY Macros" or "ASC KY Macros".
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

Thanks Tim.  I get what you are saying about smoother keying and consistent speeds using winkey.  Yes, you can send CW CAT commands to K3 with N1MM.  I have done that but had some issues with timing and repeat timing.  You have to be careful with the KY commands.  I prefer serial keying over CAT commands.  -Joe
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 05:19:38 AM »

Interesting info.  I have only played around with using the K3's KY commands from TRLinux.  I've never tried them in battle, so I'll have to simulate that and see if I run into the same timing issues you report, Joe.  I have two WKUSB devices, which are really super as Tim says, but I'm trying to reduce the size of my portable "work travel DXpedition" station by eliminating the WKUSB box---I've already picked up a K2/100 to use instead of the K3/100.  I'll keep using the WinKeyer at home.  However, if timing becomes an issue with the KY commands, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  I'll try to test it for that in my setup.  Thanks for the information.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »

I prefer the features of WriteLog, over other contest logging programs.  Specifically:

• 1. The ability to do a test of the callsign in the entry window, determine whether its a dupe or not, and automagically send the appropriate response (dupe or contest exchange).
  • 2. On fone, WL can concatenate sound files to play the other station's callsign back to him/her.  When doing search and pounce, it's not needed but, when running a frequency, this is a big deal. I can almost operate a complete fone contest w/o using a microphone. Smiley

N1MM has one advantage of WL... it's free and WL costs $35 (w/ CDROM).

The K1EL WinKeyer (and clones) relieves the PC from generating Morse.  I understand that PC OSs after Win9x don't like to let programs talk directly to ports, and the generated result is sometimes gibberish.  The WinKeyer just gets a dump of ASCII from the PC and generates the Morse itself. WL can talk to a WinKeyer.

vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: