Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shack location considerations  (Read 2782 times)
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »

New ham.  Kids are gone so I have a couple of options for shack location.

One is 2nd floor bedroom  west end of house proximate to some trees and garage.

Other is walkout basement bedroom on east end.

My antenna plan is a G5RV in the trees (already up), A hexbeam on an existing antenna mast over the garage, a 160m Beverage running east, and some type of 160m transmit antenna in the back yard.  I have a LOT more space to the east and north but my only trees are just west of the house.

Wife is pretty tolerant and property is rural so no real restriction there.

I can't see a siginficant advantage either way but thought someone here would have some additional insight.
KD0PBO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »

Personally, I would go with the basement station. Much easier to set up a proper station ground than a 2nd floor station.

Other thing to consider is where your Electrical entrance into the house is and the ground rod location. Tying the station ground to the house ground rod is a must for lightning protection. Not impossible for a 2nd floor station, but just a tougher job to run ground strips/wires down the side of the house and keep them short. Check out W8JI's website for more details on that.

Also, consider when you will do most of your operating. If you plan to do so at night, is one station location further away from the master bedroom than the other. Keeping the XYL happy and allowing her to get her sleep instead of being kept up listening to you call CQ or rag chew until 1 in the morning is a must. So consider which one will be more "sound proof" for her. If you plan to do majority of daytime or early evening opps then that might not be an issue.

Try to decide which location has the lesser used electrical circuit available that will meet your needs. Perhaps the basement circuit has the washer and dryer on it and adding an amateur station to the mix on the circuit could trip a breaker. The lesser used circuit could also be cleaner from common mode noise coming from other appliances.

And don't forget your comfort. Your shack should be comfortable so you actually enjoy being there. The basement could become cold and drafty after sitting down there for a few hours, especially if its unfinished. So that could be one reason to choose the 2nd floor room over the basement.

Those are just a few things that come to my mind..

Best of luck!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »

Possible upstairs extra bedroom advantages:
  1) Easier to keep track of antenna setups during inclement wx conditions, also nicer outside view from operating position.
  2) Warmer in winter, heat rises
  3) Neater feed line entrance i.e. if coming into a single location such as a gable end vent to attic and down wall to rig.
  4) Cross ventilation in summer if corner room.

Possible advantages to walkout basement location:
  1) Less additional AC wiring changes to feed station.
  2) Visitors to shack will not have to traipse through main part of house and into bedroom area.
  3) Quieter for the XYL if sleeping if you are on air and not using earphones and not operating
      CW.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:31:27 AM »

Can build bigger amp in basement.

No decorating ideas from XYL.

More man cave like.

Further away from antennas, less RF.
KD0ZGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »

Everyone;  thx for advice.  I also just realized with the basement option it would be much easier to get 220v. if I ever decide to go with a big amp.

One fly in the ointment; the basement location is at the opposite end of the house from the elec service so I think my grounding option would have to be a rod in the ground on the shack end of the house.
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

Consider if the basement might ever be flooded. 
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »

...One fly in the ointment; the basement location is at the opposite end of the house from the elec service so I think my grounding option would have to be a rod in the ground on the shack end of the house.

Not a problem at all.  Set up a ground rod or network and connect the ground rods together with a number 6 cable.  That will keep them all at the same potential and may even improve your station performance.  If you just run a ground cable to the other end of the house, it would be just like running a ground cable down from the second floor.  The idea is to keep the ground cable run as short as possible.  Good luck and 73!
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 03:54:51 PM »

Consider proximity to the main bedroom.  My other half often complained when I had a shack in the next room, because it kept her up during my late night hamming!  Smiley
K3LRH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:52:11 AM »

.....basement...close to work shop...tinker with other things while working ham radio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: