Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW on the Flex-6000  (Read 8793 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »

How is CW on the Flex-6000? Anyone have any first-hand experience they'd like to share? I'm particularly looking for comments from experienced CW ops who use it in DX pile-ups and CW contests.

While waiting for an appointment yesterday, I downloaded and read the SmartSDR Software User's Guide and one thing in particular stood out: does this rig have a CW spotting feature? Either a way to turn on the sidetone to zero-beat a CW signal, or an autotune mechanism  (like the K3), or a CW tuning indication (like the FTdx-5000)? I didn't see anything documented in the manual.
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »

Smart sdr  like most all sdr software has a panadatper display. You do not have to wonder where you are, you can see the entire signal being received. Your marker will be centered on the signal.
I have a Anan 100d. I had a k3 for 4 weeks and sold it yesterday. Talk about going backwards. My yaesu product has lights that center when your on frequency which is faster and better than the elecraft way for me

Once you go sdr , you cannot go back. The flex will serve the purpose just fine, I have worked them on cw and they sound great.

If that's what you want, Buy with confidence.

Greg kc8iir
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

Once you go sdr , you cannot go back. The flex will serve the purpose just fine, I have worked them on cw and they sound great.

I had a Flex-5000 and CW was crap on that rig, so yes, I went SDR and then went back (to an FTdx-5000, where CW is bulletproof).

I don't care how they sound on the air, I care how well they work from the perspective of the person sitting in front of the rig and operating CW on them.

So you're saying that you can precisely zero-beat a CW signal using just the panadapter? You must be a better operator than me because I couldn't do that on the Flex-5000 with any consistency. I can do it just fine with a spotting tone, however.

If a spotting tone/indicator/autotune is not needed, then why does PowerSDR have it ("0 Beat")?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:00:53 PM by W6UV » Logged
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

the zero beat button on power sdr is a convience feature, the Anan is much different than the 5000. Very nice for cw. I have heard the flex 6000 series is better than the Anan because of full qsk, the anan is semi qsk. I understand the love of the yaesu, i have a ftdx9000mp. Bullet proof cw is a great way to put it.

Power sdr was configured to work with the anan and has a different set of setup features.
The receiver on the Anan and the new dsp programming of power sdr makes it a great experience.
As they develope smart sdr , i have been told its better and better.

Greg kc8iir
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 03:48:22 AM »

I had a Flex-5000 and CW was crap on that rig, so yes, I went SDR and then went back (to an FTdx-5000, where CW is bulletproof).

I don't care how they sound on the air, I care how well they work from the perspective of the person sitting in front of the rig and operating CW on them.

So you're saying that you can precisely zero-beat a CW signal using just the panadapter? You must be a better operator than me because I couldn't do that on the Flex-5000 with any consistency. I can do it just fine with a spotting tone, however.
If a spotting tone/indicator/autotune is not needed, then why does PowerSDR have it ("0 Beat")?

I use a Flex-5000 and when on CW I zoom the panadapter all the way in, click on the center of the signal and start transmitting. Never got any complaints from the op on the other end.

Zack
N8FNR
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »

So you're saying that you can precisely zero-beat a CW signal using just the panadapter? You must

Yes indeed Jerry, CW was crap on a Flex 5K. Did you not learn your CW lesson with Flexradio SDR's?

I went back to a good knobbed radio too. Last fall I added a QS1R SDR to my shack. Now I have the best of both worlds - knobs and panafall, all Flexradio and frustration free.

The QS1R is slaved to my TS-590s and vice versa. There is absolutely no problem zero beating exactly from the radio or HDSDR software. What has always surprised me is how so many hams are way off freq on CW.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:16:50 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »

Yes indeed Jerry, CW was crap on a Flex 5K. Did you not learn your CW lesson with Flexradio SDR's?

Stan,

Yes, I learned my CW lesson on the Flex-5000, so my query here was more curiosity than anything. I'm still considering a Flex-6500, though. If I do decide to buy one, there will be two primary differences this time around: 1) it won't be my only rig, and 2) I know going in that it's incomplete with lots of stuff either not implemented yet or that will never be implemented.

Despite my problems with CW on the Flex-5000, I still consider the Flex-5000 the best digital modes rig I've ever used. It had seamless integration with all of the digi mode apps I used and the 6500, through DAX, is probably even better. I still have my FTdx-5000 for CW and SSB, so any disappointments the 6500 may have on those modes won't be a problem like it was when the Flex-5000 was my one and only rig.

The best thing about the Flex-6000 is its ability run remotely over a network connection. I can then connect to it  from any room in the house (via wired Ethernet) and run digi modes, which means I'll be able to operate and keep my wife company while she sews and does her other craft stuff rather than always be downstairs in the shack.

ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:11:13 PM »

A feature I would like to see is automatic zero beat. Many times I am just monitoring a CW QSO and at times many stations just cant zero beat. It would be nice if you could enable auto zero beat  so the QSO partners that you listening to are always zerobeat.  Its hard putting  down the soldering iron to hit the zero beat button. Its just amazing how many stations even today with modern radios that cant seem to zerobeat.

Another feature would be zero beat scanning on CW. It would be nice leaving the receiver to scan up and down the CW part of the band and zero beat auto tuning while scanning. All of these features should be possible on the SDR platform like the flex 6000. The problem is companies like flex dont poll their users or do market research. Thats why we  seem to get nothing with every new  radio design. Its the usual same ole same old same ole  me too copy  features that we seem to get with no new design features that can be useful.

KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 08:19:34 PM »

Zero beating was and think still is used to align oscillators and the like. It was never meant to align to Cw stations. The worse thing is to call CQ and having everyone on the same frequency. Can't pick any calls up. Pleas re think this zero beat necessity.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »

Another feature would be zero beat scanning on CW. It would be nice leaving the receiver to scan up and down the CW part of the band and zero beat auto tuning while scanning.

Ridiculous. How would the "resume" work with CW scanning. The op pauses and you're suddenly listening to another station with the same tone?

How many hams use automatic scan on the ham bands? Just about NONE!

Specific to my Flex-5000, I'm usually within 1/3 Hz in Frequency Measuring Contests. Believe me I can "zero beat", but extreme precision isn't important for normal operating.  How do you know what tone the other guy best copies code at,  400 Hz or perhaps 900 Hz?  
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 09:20:22 PM by K0OD » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:38 PM »

The worse thing is to call CQ and having everyone on the same frequency. Can't pick any calls up.

BTW, such is actually required by law on 60 meters where CW (and digital) must be center channel. My Flex plunks me within 1 Hz of that frequency. The boat anchor guys, and those who don't know the regs, have a distinct advantage in pileups. No telling whether they hear from the FCC about being a bit off-channel.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »

Zero beating was and think still is used to align oscillators and the like. It was never meant to align to Cw stations.

You sir obviously know nothing about CW if you think zero-beating is not necessary.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »

It would be helpful if we banned the archaic term "zero-beat."  Has anyone here done that with a rig in the past 40 years?
KC8IIR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:13:38 AM »

Just cw operators, I have. Unless the rig does not have the ability or the user did not read the manual to see that holding a specific bottom makes side tone.  Very necessary for ops with bad hearing.

Greg kc8iir
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »

Thanks for the not knowing nothing about CW comment. It's in the dump bucket.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: