Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do i get a frequency for a 2 meter repeater????  (Read 15180 times)
NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:44 AM »

As a side note:  One of the main problems with 2-meter coordinations, at least in SERA's jurisdiction, is that there seems to be no enforcement action for "paper repeaters".  There are likely hundreds of coordinations throughout SERA's territory that don't have a repeater on the air.  SERA does nothing when these "paper repeaters" are brought to their attention.

So. if you really want to do something useful for the lack of 2-meter frequency pairs problem, put pressure on SERA to enforce the "paper repeater" issue. 

Oh yeah, on another note, why exactly does a repeater have to become "popular" in order to meet your standards?  And what is your definition of "popular"?  I know of many small footprint 2-meter repeaters that don't get a lot of traffic yet still provide a very useful purpose.  Many of those are linked to wide footprint repeaters for nets and emergencies.  Again, why protect 2-meter frequencies for wide-area coverage only?   Makes no sense to me...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 05:49:02 AM »

In some hams opinions, a 'popular' repeater is one that has pretty wide coverage, is well known to certain groups of hams and that is almost always in use during certain periods of the day, such as commuting times.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:40 AM »

As far as I know the repeater coordinators have no legal authority other than the FCC has said if there is a problem between repeaters the FCC will resolve it in favor of the coordinated repeater. I wonder what would happen if someone just put a real repeater up on the frequency pair allotted to one of these "paper" repeaters. I don't think the coordinators could make you take it down if there is no "real" coordinated repeater for you to interfere with. I guess the "paper" people could activate a repeater and then claim interference.

NJ1K

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 04:48:22 AM »

I guess the "paper" people could activate a repeater and then claim interference.

This has happenned.  There was one instance where the paper repeater claimed foul even though he still didn't put the repeater on the air...
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »

I believe in order for any claim to be made for a coordinated vs uncoordinated pair, actual interference needs to happen paper or not.

No rule says a pair has to be coordinated.  If you can deploy a system that does not interfere with an existing coordinated one, you can put them up to your hearts' content.  I've set up numerous systems that way over the years - splinter pairs, reverse/odd splits, all are fair game.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: