Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie, looking for HF radio....  (Read 4534 times)
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

Times sure change.  When I tested for General I was about nine months into my Novice year and had about 400 CW QSOs.  When I tested for Extra I was about two years from my General test (one year from my Advanced test) and had perhaps 2,000 CW, SSB and RTTY QSOs.  That's when I bought my first new rig (Yaesu FT-101).  Prior rigs had been used, inexpensive hamfest specials (mainly Heathkits). 

Neil N3DF
KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »

Great list you got there. May consider TenTec also. They used to have a deal where you could try one of there models w/o purchasing. Im sure you have to pay shipping both ways. Ive been a ham fot fourty years. My wants and needs have changed over that time. Lately, and not just me but choosing a rig with a quite receiver is pretty big now due to all the interference provided by plasma tvs wireless pet devices power lines etc is a major concern. For example i moved to my current home in 2012. My older rig when turned on on fourty meters showed a noise level of s6. I knew that would never work. So i began the search for a new rig. Oh, by the way the s6 noise was the best it vot, usually worse every day.  Unburried power lines behind my house. To make all this shorter, i chose the Icom 7600. Why?  Because at that point in my life i had the money and with a little you tube (alot) i decided itmwould work for my noise disaster. And it did. On fourty and all filters turned off it has an s4 noise level. Noise Blanker turned on it goes to a s2. Then add 6 db att absolutely quite and very very little loss of desired signal. All other bands basically need no help at all. FILTERS!  Some rigs as the 7600 there is no additional filters to by except an upgrade in roofing and ihave no need for that upgrade. KISS methode. Ordered the thing and no further decisions to make. I am very satisfied. Now Tenc Tec is still selling optional filters which can add 500 bucks or more really fast. If i was doing it over now?  Id still settle on the 7600, but Ten Tec would be right in there close. They make awesome equipment. Hell come to think about it i may buy one yet anyhow.

If yer out in the country all different there. Noise probably wont be an issue. If yermin the city consider that first. Man made noise can take you out of the hobby.

GL.    73

Oh, BTW. The Yaesu FT 950 is a gorgeous radio. My friend has one. Quite receiver and no filters to buy. On the used market may be the best bargain out there. Or even new its a great radio. Yaesu my opinion makes the best looking rigs on the market if that means any thing to you . lol
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:29:32 AM by KI5WW » Logged
N2ADV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »

I found the TS480SAT to be very new-user friendly and very versitile.  Want to do CW?  It has both a straight key jack and a paddle jack.  Want to do digital?  It's practically plug-and-play and is a GREAT digital rig.  Phone?  No problem.  I got unsolicited reports of fantastic audio from just the stock mic.  Want to be able to always rearrange your desk and not commit to the rig taking up one spot?  Mount the base of the unit under the desk and just move the head unit around.  It has most of the commonly used functions right on the head unit or only one function down on the multi-function buttons. 

My only complaint is that the DSP is AF based instead of IF based but it does have two slots for optional filters (mine are both filled with CW filters since I am primarily a CW and digital op) and once those filters are installed, the rig really works great in a QRM-rich environment.  I've used mine for ragchews and contests and it keeps coming back for more. 

I also own an Elecraft K3 and I quite often reach for the TS480 because it's such a fun little rig to use.  That's my recommendation.  Smiley

ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »

I always hate it when someone new comes in and doesn't "finish" the post, so here goes:

I am purchasing a used ICOM IC-7200 +  LDG IT-100 tuner  (about $800 altogether).  Smiley

Thanks for all of the input. Now to get cracking on an antenna.....
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 01:25:11 PM »

Sounds like a good choice to me.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: