Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seasonal operation.  (Read 2870 times)
WA9CFK

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »

The time change, spring storms and increased sunshine will limit my night time QRP activities. I am an evening hours operator and there are not a lot of low noise evening hours.

I was curious if others slow up in summer or if you chase summertime skip.   
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:09:08 AM »

Over a 5 year period I have never noticed any kind of seasonal slow up. Myself and a lot of QRP hams after being semi house bound during winter months look forward to outside portable QRP activities during the warmer months. Even though warmer weather outside chores/maintenance, family time/trips take up a lot of free time I'm sure that there is some drop in operating activity for some, but  I've never noticed it on the air for local or DX contacts.

I operate year round on the basis of seasonal, day/night, normal band propagation only and on (20/30/40 meters) so not into the Skip thing and see no difference in amount of my normal day or evening contacts. 

KI5WW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »

If there is any slow up on my part its on the qro ssb operations. I get cabin fever in the spring. I tend to want to flee the shack and get out doors.  I operate qrp off the patio, as well as 100 watt cw and ssb. I usually have lots of yard projects going on at the same time.  Soon as projects allow i like to go to area lakes, parks etc and either spend the afternoon or even tent camp for,the night. Most of that is qrp cw.  As far as have i noticed a decrease in activity. No i havent, but i doo roll up the 80 meter wire for the summer.  To me that band is strictly a winter band.  Watch the wx forcast and operate around.  Thirty meters is good, and 20 is only affected by very near by storms here in sw oklahoma.  Only time i ever notice decrease in activity is during Solar Storms, now thats a storm that will absolutely decrease activity. Cul

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:14 AM »

Quite the opposite actually. I like operating outdoors and find I am doing more QRP operating in the Spring/Summer/Fall. Most of the time I'll just head out to the deck or the back yard on a nice day, toss up a wire and operate.
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »

I admit I'm seasonal...

For spring I tend to do more low power and portable/mobile. 

Summer indoors and VHF excluding Field day that is!

Fall is everything VHF but 10M is part of the mix.

During the winter HF gets more attention.

In the end its a big hobby and I tend to focus on different things
depending on mood and what works for that season.  For example
160 during the  summer is noisy but, VHF ducting common and
general hilltop operation is easier.

Allison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: