Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Design for small/handheld 10M or 6M SSB/CW (for transverter IF)  (Read 2367 times)
WB0GAZ

Ignore
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »

I'm looking for design, kit or commericial product for a hand-held (very small) 10M or 6M QRP SSB or SSB/CW transceiver. I have in mind something along the lines of the Mizuho hand-helds that are now long gone (yes, I know I can wait for one on auction but they tend to be expensive and rely on pretty unique band-section crystals, something I'd rather not deal with for this use). This would be used as IF for a similarly-sized VHF/UHF (possibly homebrew) transverter for roving/portable. I'd like to avoid the MFJ single-band transceivers - too large, MFJ made, and much more power than I need (only need milliwatts, a watt would do, but 10W is too much overhead for this use.)

Tks!

73 Dave WB0GAZ wb0gaz@yahoo.com
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »

Here is a hand-held 6m version from JF1OZL:

http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/handy.htm
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:27:36 PM »

I have a Mizuho 10 meter transceiver I'm not using. I just haven't gotten around to listing it for sale.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »

Magnum 1012 10m and 12m HT:

http://customcbradios.com/Magnum-1012-10-Meter-Radio-P2935870.aspx

Eagle also had the 454 spitfire about a decade ago.  It was 10m only

73 John AF5CC
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »

Your best bet is a FT817(ND), low power and good RX and widely used for UHF and microwave IF.
It already does 6, 2 and 432 so amps are all that's needed.   They are generally found used as well.

Used Elecraft K2s (10 w version) are a good choice too though rarely cheap.  Unfortunately a new
K2 or KX3 is in the same price range or greater than a FT817ND or maybe 857 new.

Everything else is likely hard to find or not all that great.  For driving a transverter your looking at
less than 10mW needed.   Maybe an old TenTec Triton (540) with blown finals as the final amp
module is easily removed/bypassed and you still get a something in the 100mW or so range.
That would work as a 80/40/20/10M IF quite well (has a good RX).  One with bad finals can
usually be found cheap and things like a bad dial cord or a stiff VFO are fixable with parts
from Tentec.

There are few kits above 20M, and fewer have RIT or other needed features for VHF work
including good VFO stability and calibration.  Those that do are in or very close to the used
good  FT817 price range.

None of the made for 10M only radios (Ranger, RS, and Magnum) are all that good and still do excessive
power for a transverter.

FYI 10M is good enough for up to 222 as a IF and above that I'd suggest 2M for the IF minimally.

IF scratch build is doable, a copy of the QST KK7B microR2 and microT2 can be built for 10m
(or higher) as a  TX and RX for IF use.   Also QEX had a pair of articles for a filter type RX and TX
pair for transverter use that were fairly easily built.

Allison
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: